Gransnet forums

News & politics

Senior RMT official suspended for saying he’d throw a party if Boris Johnson died

(193 Posts)
Iam64 Fri 10-Apr-20 22:11:59

This in response to the PM being hospitalised with this dreadful virus.

Chewbacca Fri 10-Apr-20 22:27:37

Steve Hedley went even further Iam64; he also said "I hope the whole cabinet and higher echelons of the Tory party have been touching various bits of him.”

Anniebach Fri 10-Apr-20 22:31:01

Vile man , vile, vile, vile,

Iam64 Fri 10-Apr-20 22:32:31

Chewbacca, yes I read that. He was evidently given a number of opportunities to apologise but refused. I’m not sure legally what he could be sacked for. Bringing his employer into disrepute? I hope he loses his job, which it’s said, gives him a salary of £100,000 a year.

MawB Fri 10-Apr-20 22:34:40

Some people are beneath contempt. ?

Anniebach Fri 10-Apr-20 22:36:54

Was he elected for his role in the union

Mapleleaf Fri 10-Apr-20 22:40:22

Whatever your political leanings are, to say such a thing is disgusting. Some people are, as MawB says, beneath contempt. They are speaking about fellow human beings, but I think they forget this. They are dehumanising people because their views differ to their own. This is what the Nazis did. Terrible.

CraftyGranny Fri 10-Apr-20 22:43:54

I agree with MawB too

Chewbacca Fri 10-Apr-20 22:59:12

Sheila Oakes, the Labour mayor for Heanor, who made similarly disgraceful comments, was a paralegal for a solicitors firm called VHS Fletchers Solicitors in Ilkeston. They sacked her within a few days and issued a statement on their website saying it was clear from her Facebook blog that she was an employee of this firm, and as a result we became embroiled in understandable and legitimate criticism of what she had said. They immediately distanced themselves from her and fired her. The RMT shouldn't hesitate to do the same to Steve Hedley.

It's been quite illuminating what the current situation is revealing about people's real personalities and mindset.

gillybob Fri 10-Apr-20 23:04:23

I attached a link to another similar thread .

The man ( RMT Union ) is disgusting .

Oopsminty Fri 10-Apr-20 23:08:55

Odious man

POGS Fri 10-Apr-20 23:18:14

Iam

I truly hope you do not mind me mentioning this but this story has been raised on the Boris - intensive care thread.

If you read today's posts on that thread you may or you may not understand why I am very cross about this story and also by some of the posts that ensued and I am glad somebody else has also taken to mention this other than the posters on there.

I will repeat some of what I have said on that thread and b****r the consequences. :

Steve Hedley, the assistant chief of the Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers Union is unrepentant about saying-

'I don't want to offend you but if Bojo pops his clogs I'm throwing a party.'

I will repeat what I have said and b****r the consequences. :-

"I hope the whole cabinet of Tory b*st*rds get it too.'

" I hope the whole cabinet and higher echelons of the Tory party have been touching various bits of him.

'I do however have genuine concern for all his women and children.'
---

I had posted this also and it upset some -

' If your politics decides whether you hope someone lives or dies then you need to re-evaluate yourself.

There is a time for politics and there is a time to be human.'

POGS Fri 10-Apr-20 23:19:29

gillybob

I had read your link!

gillybob Fri 10-Apr-20 23:21:45

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8205057/RMT-chief-assistant-says-hopes-Tory-party-gets-coronavirus.html

The link I attached to the “Boris in intensive care” thread earlier today .

Chewbacca Fri 10-Apr-20 23:24:19

There is a time for politics and there is a time to be human

True POGS but there seems to be a bit of a problem for some people being able to differentiate at the moment.

POGS Fri 10-Apr-20 23:29:12

Gillybob

I was told:-

pogs why on Earth reiterate them for whatever reason on here. That is too bad of you. Perhaps you would like to ask that that particular post is deleted as it is so offensive, and not something we need to see.

You do appear to have an obsession about people wishing other people ill, and I really would prefer you kept such things to yourself'.

No doubt this will be seen as worthy of reporting too.

LullyDully Sat 11-Apr-20 08:01:09

An incorrect comparison to compare Boris to Hitler surely. Surely be knows enough history to question this. Cruel words at this difficult time.

Lucca Sat 11-Apr-20 08:12:45

POGS. I honestly don’t think anyone here disagrees that mr hedley has expressed appalling views. Obviously what he said was unacceptable. But you seem to imply still that we must all cease any negative comments about the conservative party ? Everyone has said they wish the prime minister a full recovery.
Please don’t make a connection between that man hedley and any “opposition” comments.

M0nica Sat 11-Apr-20 08:14:10

Of course this unpleasant man will not lose his job. He is a union fat cat. When did one of those ever lose his job, for revealing his inner bully?

Even Tom Watson, was allowed to gracefully resign in his own time and is/was being considered for a peerage.

SalsaQueen Sat 11-Apr-20 08:29:49

The man is a repugnant oaf

sodapop Sat 11-Apr-20 08:36:03

Spot on MOnica milk of human kindness has evidently run dry.

Callistemon Sat 11-Apr-20 08:36:48

He'll probably be allowed to take up the reins of his post with its high salary, vast perks just as soon as the Union thinks that people have forgotten about his odious words.

I agreed with what you said on the other thread, POGS. Unfortunately, this Hedley is not the only one with that kind of mindset.

MaizieD Sat 11-Apr-20 08:37:27

Hedley said what a considerable number of people were probably also thinking about a man who was perfectly happy to contemplate the idea of letting this 'dreadful disease' rip through the entire population, an act which would have led to the deaths of thousands.

The enormity of this doesn't seem to have struck many, if any, Gnetters.

Callistemon Sat 11-Apr-20 08:38:32

See what I mean?
shock
It didn't take long, did it.
Disgusting comment

lemongrove Sat 11-Apr-20 08:41:54

Being a union man I doubt he will lose his job or anything else!
Some people are amazingly narrow minded with their political leanings and view anyone outside them ‘with a jaundiced eye’ as Bertie Wooster used to say.
I remember seeing Dawn Butler interviewed a couple of years ago saying proudly ‘ I could never be friends with somebody who voted Conservative....in fact I don’t know any!’
I have several friends who vote differently to me...and so what, they are still my friends who I like very much.