Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will this crisis lead to a change in Conservative attitudes?

(106 Posts)
tanith Mon 13-Apr-20 12:39:42

Namely our NHS, I’d be interested to hear whether you think that having had his life saved by our wonderful NHS that Boris and his colleagues will now change their thinking on not only the NHS but how our benefit system works and indeed how the country is run.
I don’t pretend to be very politically savvy I just know I prefer Labours policies and always have. I have my doubts whether this government will change much in the long run I hope I’m wrong.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 13-Apr-20 17:08:45

There should be cross party talks and the NHS, Fire, Ambulance and Police services should be taken out of Party Politics. Money taken from us in taxes should be ring fenced to protect them. It will cost us, but it’s costing us indirectly anyway.

Hetty58 Mon 13-Apr-20 17:11:00

Newnanny said:

' I really think Boris and Conservative government have done all that they can to try to protect the people.'

Really? How can anybody believe that? Their slow reaction, half-hearted response, delays, excuses and meetings to deflect the blame (onto Civil Service and NHS England) have cost countless precious human lives!

Dinahmo Mon 13-Apr-20 17:11:15

Ilovecheese Sunak's financial reliefs are nothing like a Labour budget. True to Tory form he's given huge sums to big business (Tesco's and Sainsbury's business rates holiday - not a grant) and the small people are still suffering. There are many people falling through the gap - those recently changing employment (supposed to go back to their previous employer and ask to be put back on the books so that they can get sick pay!). No help for anybody who stopped employment and switched to self employment after 5 April 2019. Amazon not paying a wage to anybody off work without a certificate stating that they have covid-19).

Seems to me it's Tory's as usual.

SirChenjin Mon 13-Apr-20 17:11:43

Thanks s the choice China or the UK? Or can we pick another country, like Germany or Taiwan?

I’m intrigued too Dinahmo. Is it all of us on the left of centre or just some people on the left who don’t criticise China? I see quite a few on here on the right who never criticise the Tories - does that count too?

Aspen Mon 13-Apr-20 17:12:30

Barmeyoldbat you mention the £10000 payment to each MP to work at home. I mentioned this to my daughter who wouldn't believe me. Can anybody verify this?

Namsnanny Mon 13-Apr-20 17:16:27

and yet another excuse for a dust up on gn! grin

SirChenjin Mon 13-Apr-20 17:18:11

It’s here www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-52231592 - it’s on top of the £26k they already receive for the same purpose and the IPSA “is also suspending the 90-day limit for claiming costs and relaxing the requirements on producing evidence of money spent.”

Do you know how much I got as an NHS keyworker to work from home? Take 10000 away from £10000 and you’re spot on!

Jabberwok Mon 13-Apr-20 17:19:40

Has it ever occurred to anyone that the new financial arrangements could and possibly will lead to fraudulent claims unless they are closely monitored by the treasury?! I think any government would do their best to avoid a free for all!

paddyanne Mon 13-Apr-20 17:23:15

Last time I looked China wasn't running things here ...mind you neither are the tories...they couldn't run a p up in a brewery .Its been a disaster from the start .lies on a daily basis and thousands of unnecessary deaths ..Good job eh! Why DO some of you think Boris is doing such a great job?

Are they going to get real figures to the public anytime soon.That the ones that include deaths in the community and care homes and an ACCURATE figure for NHS staff deaths

SirChenjin Mon 13-Apr-20 17:27:47

It’s occurred to the rest of us Jabberwok which is probably why so many people are surprised that the IPSA have chosen to relax its rules about providing evidence of expenditure. A very astute Labour MP did point out that an equipment loan scheme would have been better in terms of removing doubt, and he’s right, especially when millions of other key workers are having to fund homeworking from their own pockets.

Dinahmo Mon 13-Apr-20 17:45:20

SirChenjin Re China - I understood the post to infer that because we don't criticise China on here then we must support the Chinese government. I'm probably being thick but I don't see the relevance of the rest of your post, if directed at my earlier one.

vegansrock Mon 13-Apr-20 17:48:04

Plenty of criticism of China from those on the left. I try to avoid buying stuff made there if possible. What’s that got to do with anything I don’t know,
Boris could repay the NHS by giving them £350m a week as promised and treating foreign NHS staff fairly for a start

Greeneyedgirl Mon 13-Apr-20 17:48:34

This government had knowledge about how ill prepared the UK was for a pandemic such as we are now experiencing. If you doubt this look at Exercise Cygnus. This was the code name given to a national pandemic flu exercise the government ran in 2016.
It was never published but you can read comments on its findings.
It would be interesting to know why this report was never acted upon as serious deficiencies were identified then.
Does this give me confidence that things will change when this is over? Sadly no.

Dinahmo Mon 13-Apr-20 17:48:42

Paddyanne I expect they'll quietly forget about the non hospital deaths. Or maybe they'll slip them into the papers when there's a good news day, whenever that will be. It could be when Beatrice gets married since she seem to think that a large wedding will benefit the country by cheering us up!!!!

Ilovecheese Mon 13-Apr-20 17:53:56

I suppose Rishi Sunak could have followed the Conservative philosophy of letting the markets decide the outcome. Mass unemployment and a host of businesses going bust would be the logical outcome of their beliefs in market led economics.

SirChenjin Mon 13-Apr-20 18:01:52

Sorry Dinahmo - I was agreeing with you about China and pointing out to the same poster that the right on here never criticise the Tories even though they’ve made numerous errors since the start of the pandemic.

Hetty58 Mon 13-Apr-20 18:03:16

Can we have some examples of their good work please - anybody?

Hetty58 Mon 13-Apr-20 18:05:42

In 1995, Boris Johnson called for patients to be charged to use the National Health Service to prevent free care being "abused" by people who can afford to pay. I do hope he's paid up!

www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-said-patients-charged-to-use-the-nhs-2019-12?r=US&IR=T

Dinahmo Mon 13-Apr-20 18:25:16

Ilovecheese It's highly likely that there will be masses of businesses going bust as well as mass unemployment.

The vast majority of the business in the UK are SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises).

The total number of SMEs is 5.9 million
Of these 5.82 million employ between 0 and 49 people

4.5 million SME's had no employees. Of these 3.5 milion were sole proprietorships (ie self employed)
2 million were actively trading companies
405,000 were ordinary partnerships

SME's provide 3/5 of the employment in the UK.

Many of these business are going to find it difficult to start up again once this crisis is over.

Unfortunately the likes of Rishi Sunak - formerly an anlayst for Goldman Saks followed by partnerships in hedge funds - do not, and probably cannot, understand how these business work and there are many more in the government like him, only maybe not quite so rich. He comes across as being sincere but as someone else wrote in on of these threads, he won't have undergone a damascene convrsion.

Urmstongran Mon 13-Apr-20 18:51:45

Oh I don’t know re Sunak. Isn’t/wasn’t his mother or father an NHS doctor or pharmacist? I bet he’s quite grounded, even though he married ‘rich’.

Fennel Mon 13-Apr-20 19:18:36

Good point tanith.
The only time in the previous century when everyone was in the same boat socially, and economically, was post WW2.
But that had lasted much longer than (hopefully) this crisis will.
Then slowly everything returned to the normal for this country - ie the old wealth/class system.

Evoha16 Mon 13-Apr-20 19:30:06

EllanVannin I hope you haven’t misread my post by choosing to ask me ‘could you do any better?’ - I really hope I would have more scruples and integrity than to treat the NHS as merely a business to profit from which is what the Conservative party policy has actively encouraged and tacitly chosen to allow to occur- we are now seeing the results of that policy laid bare.

Dinahmo Mon 13-Apr-20 19:49:50

Urm you are right about his parents, but Winchester College, not exactly cheap, Oxford and Stanford. That sort of education can change peoples' outlook and certainly his career before parliament is not conducive to seeing how the majority live.

MaizieD Mon 13-Apr-20 19:51:32

Rishi Sunak: Father a GP, mother a pharmacist who ran a local pharmacy. Educated at Winchester (Public School) and Oxford. Highly unlikely to be 'grounded'.

Pantglas2 Mon 13-Apr-20 20:19:46

So Rishi is only slightly more ‘ungrounded’ than Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell then.....I don’t recall it being suggested before December elections that because they’d not been educated at the local comp they were unlikely to know how the majority cope.

Can’t we get away from how and where people came from - how would any of us like to be judged purely on the decisions our parents made?