Gransnet forums

News & politics

At last a fully functioning opposition

(397 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Apr-20 08:18:16

PMQs

“The commons was transformed from a bear pit to a courtroom yesterday, when the government’s junior barrister was faced with a top QC.
No contest - master versus pupil.

What Starmer brings to the post is intelligence and a forensic attention to detail. Neither does he raise his voice or get rattled, rather he adapts his tone to the occasion.

He was near tone perfect.”

John Crace

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Apr-20 15:47:40

Pleased to see that Starmer has recognised that BAME folk are disproportionally being affected by covid.

Dame Doreen Lawrence heading the investigation.

I wonder if one of the findings will be a vitamin D deficiency?

Grandad1943 Fri 24-Apr-20 16:49:35

Davidhs in regard to your post @12:56 today, you state that "asking for more power for the unions does not play well with voters". However, the trades unions in asking for the abolition of the most draconian sections of the anti-trade union legislation is not about public popularity, but simple fairness and justice.

By example to the above, no matter how just a workforce grievance may be, having carried out a secret postal ballot the trade union must then inform any employer of all those that have stated they are prepared to take part in any industrial action ten working days prior to that action commencing.

Obviously, those who feel they have a justified grievance and stated on the ballot form that they are prepared to take industrial action become "sitting ducks" in the employer's hands in the run-up to the commencement of the action.

Therefore Davidhs, if you and other "Labour supporters" feel the above is fair and just, perhaps the parting of the ways between the Labour Party and the trades unions is long overdue and most definitely should come about.

Also in regard to your above post Davidhs, it is not the trade unions who have been "bickering" as that accolade lays firmly with the Parliamentary Labour Party.

The unions have achieved huge success in the courts in the last two years by way of legal action against companies operating Gig Economy terms of employment. That litigation is still ongoing and has been achieved without any support from the Parliamentary Labour Party whatsoever.

Due to that action membership of the trade unions involved has risen, leaving many activists to ask why they fund the Labour Party at all.

eazybee Fri 24-Apr-20 17:03:14

Doreen Lawrence?
She who was accused of making a disgraceful and unfair slur, claiming that the Grenfell Fire Fighters were racist: she said that she had no doubt that the response to the inferno that killed seventy-two people was affected by racisim.
"Had that been a block of white people they'd have done everything to get them out as fast as possible and make sure they did what they needed to." Said in an interview with Channel 4 News, and strongly refuted by John Apter, Police Federation Chairman.
October 20th 2019

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Apr-20 17:45:49

The BAME death rate is an interesting if unhappy phenomenon.

And has been noted over a period of weeks.

I suspect that there are cultural practices in play here but these cannot fully explain the problem. It is also noted that the virus is favouring the male sex.

So if you are a member of the BAME minority and male, then you have an apparent much higher chance of contracting the virus.

This needs urgent investigation, particularly as those in close contact with covid sufferers will be clinicians of whom a high % come from the BAME community.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Apr-20 17:56:22

The enquiry is proceeding, and Starmer has said that he wants a swift conclusion. July has been mentioned. The terms of reference have been drawn up.
Starmer has said that disciplinary action will be taken against those named in the report who have broken party rules. Momentum has welcomed this statement.
Supporters of Starmer are thought to have concluded that structural changes are needed in the party. And judging by the comments I have seen I think that changes that will aim to bring about greater party unity is long overdue.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 30-Apr-20 08:10:11

The second PMQs with the unfortunate Raab as the stand-in for the part time PM.

Starmer once again destroyed Raab but with the utmost politeness. The more polite he is, the more trouble Rasb is almost certainly in.

Starmer has total mastery of his brief and Raab doesn’t stand a chance.

First question was about Johnson use of the phrase “our apparent success”
Our death rates had sped past the scientific advisers hope of a good result of less than 20k.
By what criteria was the government judging this to be a success.

Raab bumbled along muttering something like that things could be worse.

From there onwards Raab was on the back foot. His reaction to Starmer Exocet questions were painful to watch.

Raab must be praying that the new father doesn’t take paternity leave any time soon.

Grandad1943 Thu 30-Apr-20 09:13:48

If criticism of the government for perceived ineptitude in this crisis is what some forum members are looking for then it certainly will not be forthcoming from Kier Starmer.

I am working from home at present and stopped at lunchtime to view prime minister's question time yesterday. I felt that Starmer's performance was the worst of any Labour leader at PMQs in my living memory.

His questions were too long and detailed, and he spread his six questions over a range of topics which meant he never at any time placed any real pressure on the government which could have been the case with a series of questions on the same issue.

The above amounted to another total loss for the new Labour Leader following his failure to come to grips with the enormous crisis which has erupted throughout the whole Labour Movement following the leak of the antisemitism report.

The Parliamentary Labour Party just seems to stagger from one failure to another and one crisis to the next.

Time for real change in this whole Labour Parliamentary set up.

MaizieD Thu 30-Apr-20 11:48:59

There are ways and means of doing things, Grandad. Not everyone shares your views.

Cindersdad Thu 30-Apr-20 12:18:34

Sir Kier Starmer has only just become Labour Leader and so far if my view is doing as well as he could. He will criticise the government when he feels criticism is due and back them up when he thinks they are doing right.

His whole manner of polite argument bodes well for the future. If anyone can hold Boris and his cronies to account he can.

I'm mystified how Boris can still believe in Brexit after his near death experience when he was cared for by NHS staff many of whom came from the EU.

Galaxy Thu 30-Apr-20 13:16:23

Yes people have different views, I have been impressed with his performance so far, it's interesting to see him with Raab.

MaizieD Thu 30-Apr-20 13:58:22

I can't wait to see him dealing with Johnson. I was so disappointed that he wasn't available yesterday.

SirChenjin Thu 30-Apr-20 14:02:51

I was impressed with him - measured, articulate and intelligent in a move away from the shouting politics we’ve become used to.

Iam64 Thu 30-Apr-20 20:47:33

Im another one pleased with Keir Starmer's approach to PMQ's.

Grandad1943 Fri 01-May-20 07:31:47

The weak performance by Kier Starmer at prime minister's question time is very much inline with his almost non-existent ability to come to grips with the ever-growing crisis between the Parliamentary Labour Party and wider Labour movement.

The above has been emphasised over the course of this week with the Unite Union Staff Branch sending a letter of support to Labour left-wing MPs that have been named in the leaked report. Those MPs the report states have been subjected to racism, sexism, verbal abuse and wholesale general undermining by staff and other senior officials at the Labour Party Central office over the course or several years.

Possibly linked to the above was the abrupt resignation of the GMB Unions General Secretary Tim Roach. An investigation has been launched into the former general Secretaries "behaviour" while in office. Being that Roach has been a key supporter of Starmer in the recent leadership election, and the right-wing of the Parliamentary Labour Party over many years his resignation is being seen as the left gaining power within the union.

Starner's problems were also increased by the perceived non-agreement within the Labour movement in regard who should be appointed to investigate the leaking of the anti-semitism report and more importantly the content of that report.

The Labour leader appears to wish to have an internal inquiry led by persons from within the Labour party. However, the trade union leadership are demanding that an independent body should be appointed to carry out the investigation as the report cites several leading figures within the broader labour movement in regard to their actions over a number of years.

It is paramount that agreement is achieved in regard to who is appointed to lead the above investigation if it is to be widely seen as having any credibility when it's conclusions are drawn. Such credibility could be crucial in regard the future of the support given to the Labour Party by the broader Labour movement.

Links to the above can be found here:-

www.politicshome.com/news/article/gmb-union-launches-investigation-after-tim-roache-abruptly-quits-as-head-of-major-union

www.union-news.co.uk/unite-labour-party-staff-branch-releases-statement-on-leaked-labour-report/

MaizieD Fri 01-May-20 08:20:46

Grandad, I don't like to indulge in whataboutery but Corbyn wasn't exactly noted for his sparkling performances in PMQs.

I really don't understand why you are so desperate to see the wholesale destruction of a key party of opposition and the entrenchment of tory rule for the foreseeable future... But that's life, I suppose...

Grany Fri 01-May-20 08:21:22

This huge scandal definitely needs a proper independent inquiry I agree

Grandad1943 Fri 01-May-20 08:49:25

MaizieD, No one wishes to see the destruction of the Labour Party. However, when it is alleged that staff and senior figures within that party actually worked against Labour winning a general election then that has to be thoroughly and independently investigated. That has to be carried out before the whole Labour Movement can go forward with the Labour Party in its present form or with the Party as a completely reconstructed organisation.

Iam64 Fri 01-May-20 08:59:53

I have read newspaper reports and Grandad's posts. I don't feel anything much changes. Its like this lockdown. Every day is Ground Hog Day. Nothing that Corbyn and his supporters did contributed to the devastation of the Labour defeat. It was all the right wingers in the LP and the MSM that caused the problem.
The knives are out for Starmer. The same people who accuse the so called centrists of undermining Corbyn spend their time attempting to destroy Starmer's leadership before it gets going.
We are living through an unprecedented crisis to our health and economy. Yet, we have the continuing spectacle of MPs like Diane Abbott involved with people expelled from the LP for anti semitism. The same old arguments that they weren't AS, they just stuck up for Palestine. Dispiriting isn't it

Anniebach Fri 01-May-20 09:04:33

Sparking performances and Corbyn !

Iam64 Fri 01-May-20 10:00:53

Message deleted by Gransnet as it was a PM posted in error.

Rosalyn69 Fri 01-May-20 11:43:42

I’m impressed by Keir Starmer.
I don’t think that this current crisis calls for a Corbyn style approach.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 01-May-20 11:59:10

I am disappointed at your posts grandad for a few reasons.

Corbyn lost the election and then resigned.

Starmer along with others put himself forward for leadership and won.

I understand that you are not a Labour Party member.

From your allegations there is absolutely nothing to suggest that Starmer has in any way anything to do with what people are claiming went on in 2017.

Your continued posts about an issue that is under investigation, or at least the investigation is being set up shows a level of desperation which is hard to fathom.

Can we assume that your choice of candidate didn’t win?

Whilst your post suggests you have real issues with Starmer, unlike the majority of the Labour Party, you never outline what exactly your problem is with Starmer other than trying to continually dish him.

I along with millions of other in this country are desperate to see the end of this Tory government who has caused so much misery and death. Your attitude however appears to suggest that you would rather see a Tory government than a Starmer government.

Quite extraordinary.

Please don’t reply with a long post about what is being suggested was done by “the right” or “Corbyn opposition” I get that. And have read it ad nauseum frankly. But I would like to understand what you are trying to suggest should happen and if you would not be prepared to support Starmer.

Dinahmo Fri 01-May-20 12:08:49

eazybee I realise I'm late in responding to your question "Doreen Lawrence?"

She is the mother of the murdered Stephen Lawrence whose death has been the subject of several inquiries about the way in which the investigation was handled,the way in which the Lawrence family were treated and police corruption over several years.

It's no wonder that there has been an accusation of racism and they haven't just come from her.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 01-May-20 12:23:19

At long last and not before time labour has a leader who lives in the real world.

Iam64 Fri 01-May-20 13:42:46

whitewave - good post,
awaiting a response