Gransnet forums

News & politics

Be careful what you wish for, Meghan.

(350 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 01-May-20 12:48:04

Oh dear, it's not going well is it?

maddyone Wed 14-Oct-20 19:24:02

Yes, this and Coronavirus. Such times we are living in.

Ellianne Wed 14-Oct-20 19:15:48

And one day this will all be History, or maybe even history with a small h.
Merlot's title was great because it gave the breadth to discuss anything and everything to do with Meghan.

maddyone Wed 14-Oct-20 18:55:26

Lexisgranny I could have written your post at 18.39 myself. You summed up exactly how I feel about this situation.

maddyone Wed 14-Oct-20 18:52:08

Ellianne
I don’t know. Is Harry weak? I never thought he was previous to Meghan, but I don’t know now. He looks weak in recent pictures, but I really don’t know if he’s weak or not. Did Meghan marry him because she perceived him to be a follower rather than a leader? I’m sure they were ‘in love’ as someone else mentioned, but being in love is often about two people who, whilst being attracted to one another, also meet the needs of each other. Harry plainly desperately wanted to get married and have children, and Meghan fulfilled that need in him. I don’t know which needs Harry fulfilled for Meghan except her need to be famous.

Lexisgranny Wed 14-Oct-20 18:44:59

Just as an afterthought. At present there are 14 pages on this thread, things have happened,situations continually involve, but it does strike me, glancing through that never has there been a more appropriate title to every page than the one chosen by merlotgran back in May.

Lexisgranny Wed 14-Oct-20 18:39:33

I too, didn’t hate Diana, I thought that she didn’t have enough support when she joined the Royal family, but that she made some unfortunate choices in the last few years of her life, though she did some extremely worthwhile charity work, and she did her best to give her boys an upbringing more appropriate to the times. I was very sorry when she died so tragically, but at no time regarded her as a heroine.

I was not a fan of Camilla initially, but over the years have come to admire her for the way she took whatever was thrown at her and continued to work calmly and undramatically but remained her own woman. She has found her niche.

Now we come to Meghan, I thought that she would be an asset to the Royal Family and that both she and Harry would further it’s modernisation and wished them both well. However, by her own words and her own deeds she changed my mind. She did not stay long enough for me to alter that opinion, which has been consolidated since she left. She is a woman approaching 40, not a teenager like Diana, I feel she just wants a final chance to be a star on the world stage at whatever cost.

Once again, validity of opinions (in this instance regarding the hypocrisy of those who are not enthusiastic about Meghan) are negated by sweeping statements.

Anniebach Wed 14-Oct-20 18:35:00

It is the Crown which causes the pecking order, Anne comes
before Tim but behind her three brothers. It will not be the same for Charlotte .

Ellianne Wed 14-Oct-20 18:06:26

Do you think that is because she chose a weak husband who allowed her to become more important than he is?

maddyone Wed 14-Oct-20 17:59:26

That’s right Ellianne, protocol is the word.
The difference is the other royal spouses respect the protocols, Meghan disrespected them. And appears to still think she’s the important one in the public view.

Ellianne Wed 14-Oct-20 17:53:11

Aha maddy I see where you are coming from and Callistemon has just found the right word, "royal protocol".
I certainly didn't mean these women know their place subserviently, but in the pecking order who speaks out, who stands where etc. It is the royal in the relationship who normally takes the lead, whether male or female.

maddyone Wed 14-Oct-20 17:51:23

Well said annie.
And just to be clear, I certainly didn’t hate Diana. What a vile thing to say. I rather liked her actually.

Callistemon Wed 14-Oct-20 17:48:16

I can spell.
Phillips

Callistemon Wed 14-Oct-20 17:47:54

Mark Philipps did go off and do his own thing.

I think Tim Lawrence knows all about protocol and duty, what is required and is an exceptionally supportive husband.

maddyone Wed 14-Oct-20 17:43:59

This is not about women knowing their place, what I ridiculous statement. Prince Philip didn’t preach, although he made many humourous, and sometimes none PC comments. Princess Anne’s two husbands didn’t preach, I’ve never heard Timothy Laurence utter a word, let alone preach or imagine himself to be some sort of authority on anything. Mark Phillips didn’t preach either. Meghan must imagine herself to be an authority on a number of subjects, and I for one wish she would be quiet and get on with that ‘quiet life’ that they left the UK for in California.

Anniebach Wed 14-Oct-20 17:18:18

I didn’t like Diana, I felt sorrow when she died .

Camilla, Kate, Sophie, do much work for charities, Camilla
speaks out about abuse of women, Sophie on preventable blindness in children, Kate about post natal depression, mental illness,

They don’t talk of saving the world, don’t lecture , they speak of the needs of people living ordinary lives. They don’t hog
the limelight.

merlotgran Wed 14-Oct-20 17:13:18

I didn't say they weren't in love, Lucca

Ellianne Wed 14-Oct-20 17:10:06

I never hated Diana, quite the opposite, but that's another story.

Lucca Wed 14-Oct-20 17:09:10

* They used each other to get what they wanted *
Oh silly me I thought they fell in love? Like Charles and camilla or William and Kate or Sophie and Edward ....

Lucca Wed 14-Oct-20 17:07:22

Biba they still have a go at Diana!
Harry Meghan. All bad
Kate William Camilla the queen Sophie etc etc etc. All good.

biba70 Wed 14-Oct-20 16:48:38

What amazes me, is that it is the same crowd who hated Diana until she died- and then became their heroin - who now pile on Meghan. I am sure Harry is very aware of this and the hypocrisy of it all.

Sparklefizz Wed 14-Oct-20 16:42:39

although she does seem to think she is an expert in so many areas it is becoming tiresome.

She was an "expert" on elephants only a couple of months ago grin

Anniebach Wed 14-Oct-20 16:26:50

It is not about women knowing their place, Camilla, Kate,
Sophie, no different to Tim and Phillip, with the marriage comes a job.

Same as men and women who marry politicians ,

merlotgran Wed 14-Oct-20 16:20:12

I cant think of anything more damaging for women to be honest.

Neither can I and that is probably why Chelsey and Cressida bottled out. If Harry hadn't rushed into marriage with Meghan they would probably have both realised that it wouldn't work within the confines.

They used each other to get what they wanted so now I think the Queen should strip them of their titles because Meghan is firmly in control now.

lemsip Wed 14-Oct-20 16:20:12

meghan had a very popular lifestyle blog called The Tig

. After three years, Meghan made the decision 2017 to shut down her lifestyle blog,the Tig. T
Meghan's social media accounts were wiped in January, two months after her engagement to Prince Harry was announced.

Galaxy Wed 14-Oct-20 16:05:37

Yes I think a.lot of this is about women knowing their place. I cant think of anything more damaging for women to be honest.