Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should lockdown be eased?

(11 Posts)
MayBee70 Sat 09-May-20 20:18:03

I've just read an interesting report that, unfortunately I don't know how to put on here. But it explains how the virus is transmitted. Now, I've read lots of stuff about that but this one makes it very clear. In some ways it's quite reassuring eg not a massive chance of catching it when out shopping [albeit no reassurance for people that work in them]. But it seems to me that, even if people walk/cycle to work etc unless huge changes are made in the workplace people will just catch/spread it at work. Same applies to schools. Enclosed spaces, toilets,air con etc etc will be very dangerous for the foreseeable future.

GagaJo Sat 09-May-20 20:01:46

Our death rate hasn't decreased below 600 a day. As soon as lockdown eases it's going to shoot back up again.

Of course they want us back at work. We're not making their billions for them. Our lives mean nothing to them.

Daisymae Sat 09-May-20 19:15:21

I think that people will return to work when they feel it is safe to do so. I have a horrible feeling that a slow easing of lockdown will be accompanied by an increase in the infection rate. We may have to live with this disease for the foreseeable future. However it is quite clear to me that the situation we are in lies squarely at the feet of the government and their inexplicable decision making.

Hetty58 Sat 09-May-20 18:32:57

Statistically, there is now more chance of catching it than before lockdown, of course. It's just too soon to change much without risking a second wave.

Some countries got it right (from the start) and what a difference!

twitter.com/i/status/1257959518199316482

Lollin Sat 09-May-20 18:21:26

Not yet because too many are not abiding by the current lockdown. If everyone tried their very best we could all be enjoying trying out an ease of the lockdown.

Davidhs Fri 08-May-20 19:03:58

Where social distancing can be maintained there is a good case for allowing more recreation, golf, cycling, fishing, visiting gardens and parks, we have seen today quite large gatherings social distancing and enjoying themselves.

Fiachna50 Fri 08-May-20 16:50:29

I don't know the answer. Lockdown is extended in Scotland but our First Minister says she is going by the scientists advice. I go by what she says rather than sensationalist newspapers. They are responsible for a helluva lot in this situation we are all in. They whipped up panic buying and fear. I also notice one of them has yet again used a story from Mumsnet. Be very careful what you say on this forum.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 08-May-20 15:49:33

That “swinging the lead” comment has echoes of the “asleep whilst others go to work” said by Osborne. What charmers they are.

Ilovecheese Fri 08-May-20 15:09:15

We, as a people have done our best to protect the NHS, and to protect other people. Some of us by staying indoors. others by putting their lives at risk by working on the front line.

So many of those brave front line workers have died to help others.

Others of us try to do our bit by helping the vulnerable with shopping or sewing PPE

The thanks that we get for that from the right wingers such as Graham Brady from the 1922 comittee is to be told that we are swinging the lead, too comfortable about staying at home. They talk about businesses being "weaned" off Government support, as if business people are grabbing babies instead of hard working entrepreneurs.

They disgust me quite frankly, the death toll is in the thousands with huge numbers each day. This is no time to relax the measures that have been put in place to keep us safe.

I hope the Government will not allow itself to be bullied by those sorts of people.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 08-May-20 14:57:06

Don’t forget that the Virus is still out there, waiting for one false move. We are only indoors to save the NHS from being overwhelmed.
Until there is a reliable vaccine that will ensure immunity, nothing has changed.

Dinahmo Fri 08-May-20 14:38:41

It would seem that a majority of the cabinet has different views on the easing of lockdown to those of the general public. Polls have shown that the majority of the public want lockdown to continue for the time being.

The extreme right want a fast track to the end of lockdown and some MPs believe that people are becoming used to furlough on 80% pay and are quite content to stay at home.

This might apply to the middle-aged, more comfortably off with roomy homes and decent sized gardens who are enjoying the silence, apart from the birdsong. However, I suspect that most people would like to return to work and are frustrated at being cooped up for weeks on end and so will be glad to get back to work.

Perhaps some people will be thinking about their work/life balance and seeking to make changes. Some SMEs will go under but many more will survive. Those nearing retirement age may think about taking early retirement and doing some other work. There are many young people, perhaps still at school or uni who might have ideas for starting a business instead of getting a job.

For those of us already in retirement nothing much is going to change, apart from being able to go out again and to see our families and friends. We already know what our income is so we are not worried about lack of employment.

The Brits are an inventive people and will survive. Rushing out of lockdown at the moment, IMHO is not a good idea whilst the numbers of deaths are still high.