News & politics

Population losing faith with Johnson.

(60 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-May-20 14:23:41

I’ve copied and pasted this.

Latest YouGov data: Starmer now has a higher net leadership rating than Johnson

Starmer +23
Johnson +22

Starmer's ratings have considerably improved, while Johnson's declined by 18 points.

Additional data - Starmer's leadership ratings are in strong net positive territory in every age group:

18-24: +21
25-49: +17
50-64: +28
65+: +28

Importantly, Starmer is landing very well with the exact age demographics Labour did so badly in at the 2019 General Election
Data by region - again, Starmer in strong net positive territory across the board;

London: +29
South: +21
Midlands: +20
North: +27
Scotland: +10
Wales: +20

Turns out northern voters favour competence and leadership over accents after all.

And the cherry on the cake in terms of Starmer's approval ratings...

Voted Remain: +39
Voted Leave: +10

Yes, he is in net positive territory with Leavers. There is more to voting intention than Brexit - as some of us tried to explain in the Labour leadership election.

SirChenjin Thu 14-May-20 13:59:21

You’re all starting to sound jittery - this talk unicorns confirms you’ve spent too long in the Tory Big Top with the ?

lemongrove Thu 14-May-20 13:11:09

SirC am surprised, what you think may happen is a total fantasy situation....All it lacks is a unicorn.
Have to hope you posted in humour!?

SirChenjin Thu 14-May-20 12:43:21

No need to dream - it will happen. Circuses always move on.

Jabberwok Thu 14-May-20 12:38:58

A coalition led by KS? with an 80 seat majority!! As GG 13 says,dream on!

SirChenjin Thu 14-May-20 12:21:50

And they’ve also been found to be right on many occasions...

Tick tock Bozza and your fellow circus clowns, tick tock.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 14-May-20 12:10:15

Polls have been found to be wrong frequently over the last few years, Brexit, and the last two elections.

The Conservatives have an eighty seat majority, sorry Labour, Lib Dems etc...........dream on!

SirChenjin Thu 14-May-20 12:06:01

For people who are prepared to settle for the right wing bumbling shambles of Bozza and his mates it’s too much - for the rest of us it’s perfectly achievable. The polls are certainly heading in the right direction.

lemongrove Thu 14-May-20 11:58:07

Yes, way too much! ?

Cindersdad Thu 14-May-20 11:52:51

A WW2 veteran was asked this what he thought of the leaders and he simply said "rubbish". Boris's days in power must surely be numbered. First his own party will turn against him just as Labour sent Jeremy Corbyn packing.

We have no tried and tested replacement for Boris, most of the decent Tories have been purged. There is rumbling in the US from both Republicans and Democrats that could give Trump his come uppance.

Roll on a coalition led by Kier Starmer including the centerist elements from all main parties. Is that too much to hope for?

MayBee70 Wed 13-May-20 14:58:16

I think it was @ 11th March and I also think Chris Witty was involved with that decision.

Dinahmo Wed 13-May-20 14:43:07

Back in March there was an element of contact tracing, done by personal contact with people known to the patient.

This was knocked on the head by the powers that be as being too time consuming. However, had it continued, with volunteers it could have been successful.

Each hospital could have enrolled a local organisation, maybe WI or Round Table to do this, by giving them the contact details of a patient's next of kin.

I'm sure that there would have been thousands of volunteers all over the country willing to take part. But instead, we now have a telephone app, produced by a company owned by Cummings brother to deal with it.

We've all seen the diagrams of how one person with covid can indirectly pass the disease on to hundreds. Had this type of contact tracing stayed in place we might have seen fewer deaths.

pollyperkins Wed 13-May-20 14:37:55

Here are the figures

pollyperkins Wed 13-May-20 14:34:19

To go back to primary school reopening - this will affect two of my GC who are in reception. Im not too concerned though because if you look at the figures its very very unlikely for youg children to become infected with the virus and or pass it on. I know there have been exceptions but they are extremely rare. (I also know that a lot of research is being done on this.) And its important for them to get used to going back to school before the summer holidays as they had hardly had time to settle in. Teachers can avoid contact with other adults more easily in schools than some other jobs. Also if parents are to get back to work child care is essential for these little ones. I think nurseries are soon reopening too. Im more concerned about my sons travelling on crowded trains into work to be honest - figures for deaths start to rise in the 40s but half of all deaths are in the over 50s and tge vast majority in over 80s.

Iam64 Wed 13-May-20 14:12:36

paddyanne, that's tragic, the loss of a young life. Our town lost two senior health workers last week and our rate of infection is continuing to rise. It does not feel safe to have stay alert -control the virus as our mantra.
I listened to some of PMQs and it seems we finally have a leader of the opposition with the ability to function effectively.

Furret Wed 13-May-20 13:01:55

paddyanne very true and horribly sad.

May7 Wed 13-May-20 13:00:57

Well posted Sirchenjin Its always helpful to read what someone actually said. The link was interesting too

Furret Wed 13-May-20 13:00:29

We all have good thoughts and bad thoughts and MM only voiced how she initially felt. Then her compassionate and human side took over.

Seems that there are some who won’t allow that.

Personally if it had been Trump ....

paddyanne Wed 13-May-20 12:53:34

Today I heard from a friend in Glasgow ,her 34 year old healthy son died from CV ,its still rife in the population.

Nothing will bring back her boy

Does the population of England and in particular the Bo jo fans think that these deaths are just collateral damage and that the economy must take precedence over health?

No one I know believes lockdown should be ending now or in the next few weeks..not that it was EVER a real lockdown just "guidance" I can only hope none of you are suffering as my friend is today .This young man had a whole life ahead of him and was volunteering to help those in a worse position than himself.Prepare yourselves for someone close to you to die after all the images of crowding down south since Monday .Then tell me its beeing handled well by the tories

Anniebach Wed 13-May-20 12:40:49

That is interesting SirChenjin thank you.

Seems many forget or know nothing of the fight to end the
death penalty, yet mental illness is freely spoken of now but
not in the 50’s and 60’

SirChenjin Wed 13-May-20 11:24:21

Funnily enough yougov.co.uk/topics/legal/articles-reports/2019/10/01/brits-want-harsher-punishments-criminals

Anniebach Wed 13-May-20 11:12:13

Wanting a person to die ? What next bring back the death penalty?

SirChenjin Wed 13-May-20 10:18:24

“I had difficulty not wanting Boris Johnson to die. I wanted him to die. Then I thought that will reflect badly on me and I don’t want to be the sort of person that wants people to die. So then I wanted him to get better, which he did do, he did get better. But he didn’t get better as a human being. And I really would prefer that.”

Is what she said.

lemongrove Wed 13-May-20 10:05:06

I didn’t see that GG13 but can well believe it.I would think that MM had some sort of dementia, except she has always been like that.Rude, crude and generally awful.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 13-May-20 10:02:24

lemongrove Miriam Margoyles admitted to hoping that the PM died of Covid-19 on The Last Leg last week. This was a prerecorded programme and the editors/producers saw fit to leave it in.........absolutely disgraceful

Anniebach Wed 13-May-20 09:45:45

Why bother to pay for Labour Party membership when the
Party is controlled by the Unions