Gransnet forums

News & politics

NHS fees for foreign healthcare workers

(13 Posts)
Loislovesstewie Sun 17-May-20 08:38:18

Of course I am bothered about non-British staff having to pay for treatment , but I think that it is just part of a wider problem . At the moment we are all saying how much we value the NHS and other key workers. How long will it be before some start to complain about them ? If we don't get what we want when we want it will we start moaning ? I am a retired local government worker and I have lost count of the number of times I was verbally abused while just doing my job, so many didn't understand that I had legislation, policy ,rules to follow and couldn't just do as I wanted. I know many others have also been abused . Perhaps instead of all of the clapping we need a change in attitude generally?

Furret Sun 17-May-20 07:42:32

I was shocked to read about the fee that is levied on them - and not just on them but their children too. It can amount to a substantial annual payment as I understand it.

I hope more people on this forum read this thread and take in what it saying.

MaizieD Sun 17-May-20 06:57:19

What about the non British NHS staff who are going to have to pay for their NHS treatment?

Is nobody bothered about them?

Hetty58 Sun 17-May-20 06:34:31

I promised my friend, a nurse working in a Covid ward, not to join in the useless clapping, right from the start.

Decent working conditions, enough staff and adequate pay is what they would really appreciate - yet it seems that's impossible.

MaizieD Sun 17-May-20 06:34:18

This thread isn't about NHS wages. It's about non British NHS workers being made to pay for NHS treatment. Despite the fact that they are working and paying tax and NI like any British citizen.

The fact that they are actually working in the NHS makes it seem all the more unfair...

Loislovesstewie Sun 17-May-20 06:09:58

Sadly, most people forget that during their hour of need it is ( mostly) the public sector that helps them.
My most recent GP's have been Italian or Dutch . I often wonder how they felt about a lot of the rubbish spouted during Brexit debates.
Yes, we need to pay NHS staff, ALL of them , ancillary staff, clinical staff etc a decent wage.

growstuff Sun 17-May-20 01:11:14

The whole clapping thing is really getting on my nerves now.

Deedaa Sat 16-May-20 23:01:24

So much cheaper to get people to clap rather than start paying workers what they are worth.

SirChenjin Sat 16-May-20 16:51:33

Exactly paddyanne. I’m sure the foreign nurses and other NHS who got Bozza back on his feet are truly grateful to him for sticking to his principles hmm

ninathenana Sat 16-May-20 16:43:36

Well said paddyanne

paddyanne Sat 16-May-20 14:22:44

AND ...a wage freeze for NHS workers.Who knew when Boris said he would never be able to repay the people who saved his life he meant he literally wasn't going to pay them!!

MaizieD Sat 16-May-20 14:05:16

It seems a tad ironic that the country is out clapping them every Thursday and heaping praise and cakes on them but think it's OK for them to be charged £400 p.a (which is planned to rise to over £600 pa) for using the service that they work to to keep afloat.

growstuff Sat 16-May-20 11:44:52

This doesn't seem fair nor very sensible, in view of the NHS's need for foreign workers.

www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/anger-as-priti-patel-says-nhs-fees-paid-by-foreign-health-staff-must-stay-just-three-weeks-after-announcing-review/ar-BB148J08?ocid=spartanntp