Gransnet forums

News & politics

Schools going back.

(122 Posts)
Sparkling Tue 19-May-20 07:43:35

So pleased that gradually things are moving again. I just hope people keep to the distancing recommendations and hand washing, it would be dreadful to gave another spike due to selfish people.
I think this has been so hardp on the youngsters and they need to be learning and mixing together, I think it would be better now left to September though. However scientific advice seems to think now is right.

SueDonim Tue 19-May-20 23:57:42

I imagine schools are like anything else - some are better than others, as was my experience of the numerous schools my dc attended in their time. I’ve heard reports from each end of the spectrum during the CV crisis, some have been excellent, some seem to have done very little.

Lucca Wed 20-May-20 07:45:28

Suedonim. That is a shame as so many schools seem to have done a really good job.
I Know it’s a bit daft but apparently it is National thank a teacher day (?). And on my FB page the thanks to all our local schools are amazing and heartwarming.

grannyrebel7 Wed 20-May-20 08:22:06

My little GD is going back to nursery. The teachers will be in full PPE , temperatures will be taken before the kids can go in and sessions have been cut to two and a half hours. I don't know how 3 and 4 yr old are going to cope with this.

Luckygirl Wed 20-May-20 10:31:55

I spent most of yesterday going through the directives from the government about return to school, as I am a school governor. I suspect that people do not realise the mammoth task that this entails for governors and school heads. Our head has spent days and days trying to interpret them and set a protocol for our school that meets the requirements.

It is all b******s really as the reality on the ground is likely to be very different from the theory on paper. And I am very unhappy about the potential dangers to staff, some of whom have vulnerable relatives in their family group.

I would feel happier about it if the BMA were backing the idea; and if there had not just been a spike in cases round here.

They are just using the schools as clusters of guinea pigs, and have no real idea whether it is a safe decision or not.

GGumteenth Wed 20-May-20 11:10:54

I am desperately trying to hold on to the facts. Denmark has reopened their schools; they had one death last week. Schools in Australian are beginning to be reopened; they have had 100 deaths in the whole of the country during the outbreak and new infections are down to 8 per day while ours are 2,412 both as at 17 May.

We are talking about reopening at a time when we are still suffering one death about every two minutes, and it is apparent that the rate of reinfection has already risen since VE Day. Added to this our "track and trace" app is not expected to be ready until June.

If this is wrong or other facts outweigh these then teachers, unions, and those who oppose it just because they don't want to put their children or families in danger would, I am sure, be pleased to hear it.

The government’s model appears to have failed as have other governments. Some other countries appear to have been considerably more successful. I really do hope we will not sacrifice our children in an attempt to vindicate this government.

V3ra Wed 20-May-20 11:23:36

grannyrebel7 your granddaughter's nursery is not following any official recommendations about if and when to wear PPE in an early years setting.
Does she have to go?
If the session is only for two and a half hours presumably it's not so her parent(s) can go to work?

Devorgilla Mon 25-May-20 20:24:11

Anyone know if Royal children are going back on June 1st? If not, why not? If it is not safe enough for them to go back, it is not safe enough for my grandchildren.

paddyanne Mon 25-May-20 20:39:27

Scottish schools wont go back until August and then many will be part time .I wouldn't want my GC to be going back any sooner .I know they say children rarely get seriously ill but the can carry it home to family who can get seriously ill.My daughter has multiple health issues ,getting CV 19 would probably kill her so the longer the children are home the better

GrannyLaine Mon 25-May-20 20:47:09

Which Royal children are you referring to Devorgilla?

Devorgilla Mon 25-May-20 20:50:51

George and Charlotte.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 25-May-20 21:30:54

Zara Phillips husband was on TV this morning and their daughter Mia is going back to school next week.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 25-May-20 21:39:50

I think Phillips is her married name, Princess Anne’s daughter.

GrannyLaine Mon 25-May-20 21:41:42

PrinceGeorge & Princess Charlotte aren't in the year groups that will be returning first, but I believe that Independent Schools have different arrangements.

MaizieD Mon 25-May-20 22:17:46

Zara Tindall, nee Phillips.
Husband Mike Tindall former rugby international

Ellianne Mon 25-May-20 22:22:36

Princess Charlotte is indeed in Reception so she would be returning first. She is however remaining at home with her brother Prince George, Year 2, as he is not in a returning year group.
Independent schools do not have different arrangements.

Hetty58 Mon 25-May-20 23:27:03

An awful lot of parents won't be sending their kids back to school until September. There is no penalty for keeping them at home. Who would choose to be first?

There's no logical reason for reception and year one to return early. At least year six should be able to comply with social distancing - but it's no fun.

The whole idea stinks of herd immunity - just slowed down.

GrannyLaine Tue 26-May-20 11:57:12

Ah Ellianne of course, you are quite right, I must have been half asleep when I wrote that. My DD was expecting her second baby at the same time Prince George was due. I messaged DD (who was a bit overdue by then) to say that the Duchess was in labour and got a very rude response! I was thinking it was Charlotte who is the same age as my grandson.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 26-May-20 12:07:28

Thank you MaizieD I welland truly got that round the wrong way!

felice Tue 26-May-20 15:56:12

DGS 8, primary 2, went back today, 7 children in the class face masks worn at all times except when eating.
I collected him this afternoon, we all lined up outside the school on the yellow lines 2metres distance. Some arrogant twats tried to walk straight in but were turned around very quickly and told to join the queue.
I got to the school door and gave the name of DGS to a teacher in full body and face cover.
Said child was then brought out, mask went into bin and hands sanitised.
We went to the supermarket and to get ice cream on the way home and he said that they were mostly on the Secondary schools football pitch this afternoon segregated into sections for each class and each child, they had set up a running track around the playground and the PE teacher was taking 2 children at a time in distanced lanes and doing running and other gym with them.
It is one day a week and not compulsory so we shall see how it goes.

luluaugust Tue 26-May-20 19:29:57

Our local school has now postponed opening until mid June. A friends GD has been offered 2 hours a week when she was looking for 2 days in nursery. It seems clear many children won't go back until September.

growstuff Thu 28-May-20 21:02:21

This is Independent Sage's full report about schools' returning on 1 June:

www.independentsage.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Independent-Sage-Brief-Report-on-Schools-5.pdf

And a "speedread" of the same report:

schoolsweek.co.uk/independent-sage-6-key-findings-on-why-schools-shouldnt-reopen-on-june-1/

And a video of the news conference discussing the report with journalists:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-5RzCDeEFc

Warning: It's nearly an hour, so maybe best to make a cuppa before settling down to watch it.