Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prediction that Boris Johnson will be out by Christmas. He was never up to the task of leading this country.

(102 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 19-May-20 13:49:54

I agree with the article, more or less. I'm not a Tory (get away!) supporter and actually dislike him LESS now than I did at the beginning. I think he'd stand a better change of being allowed to stay if he ditched Cummings but given that Cummings is the puppet master, Boris is in a Catch 22 situation.

Every time I see Boris Johnson, I ask myself how on earth he got the job. Then I remember that it was luck, guile, and the big red bus and the stuff about the NHS getting £350m a week extra – the promise that never was.

So that question pretty much answers itself. I suppose what I really mean is that it’s just begun to dawn on me that he isn’t actually very good at the job. The posh accent and the classical references disguise it a bit, but the truth is starting to show through. He’s just not up to it.

Remember what close colleague and “friend” Michael Gove said of him back in the 2016 Tory leadership debacle? “I have come, reluctantly, to the conclusion that Boris cannot provide the leadership or build the team for the task ahead”. Right first time, Gove.

Every bumbling performance at prime minister’s questions, each stumbling appearance at a coronavirus media conference, each bit of misguided spin that emanates from Downing Street, all the “ramped up” insincere promises and the hasty U-turns serve only to build up the evidence that we have somehow contrived to place a clown with the emotional maturity of a toddler in charge of dealing with the worst pandemic in 100 years.

When will the madness end? I think by Christmas. I cannot say how or what the manner of Boris Johnson’s leaving office will be, but I think we can all discern that the pressures will only intensify. Each avoidable, so-called “excess” death represents a tragic, powerful and eventually overwhelming argument for his departure. There will be thousands more. Will they reach 100,000? The worst record in Europe? It is surely possible.

In due course, Johnson will become an insupportable political burden for his party, as well as a morally shameful one. Right now, there’s no chance of change because we are in the midst of the emergency. The long summer recess will be more politically charged this year; without parliament sitting, however, the opportunities for remote plotting will be fewer, and the time for change still not ripe. By the autumn, though, there is every possibility that the economy will still be depressed, the furlough scheme becoming unsustainable, and the death toll unthinkably high – with a real prospect of a second wave of infections overwhelming the NHS – because the lockdown was relaxed too soon. Those are the perfectly plausible developments that could unseat a serving premier with a large parliamentary majority. They will be apparent towards the end of the year, as will the public’s anger. The very trust and faith so many place in Johnson will switch back, making the sense of betrayal even more painful. By Christmas, a time for reflection, Johnson will be politically toxic. He will be no more immune to overthrow in such circumstances than Tony Blair in 2007 or Margaret Thatcher in 1990. Like them, he might well find himself replaced by his chancellor, with the promise of a fresh start.

Being at the top means making the right calls and taking the right decisions, and Johnson has failed at every turn. No doubt he may have had some bad advice, but he’s also been sloppy, complacent, and reluctant to apply himself to the task even when he was well. He left a confused power vacuum when he was so seriously ill. He was wrong on lockdown, on testing, on ventilators, on care homes and on protective equipment. So determined was he to ignore the devolution settlement in launching his lockdown exit strategy that he has weakened the union with Scotland and Northern Ireland. The free-trade deal with the EU isn’t going to happen. Neither will the one with the US, without featuring British farming. He has appointed a spectacularly lacklustre bunch to his cabinet, and seems overreliant on the svengali Dominic Cummings.

Now Johnson’s shortcomings have at long last been embarrassingly exposed by the replacement of Jeremy Corbyn with Keir Starmer and a reinvigorated and highly able official opposition.

Johnson is slowly losing allies and support in his party and among its usual media allies. Perennial doubts about character and judgement are re-emerging. The exit strategy is premature and chaotic, while also too slow for his natural allies on the right. More than anything, though, the people are beginning to comprehend the human cost of Johnson’s failures. He has let us down. That is the unforgivable bit.

It seems longer, but it is not yet a year since Theresa May was pushed out, and Johnson succeeded her (the muted anniversary celebration will be on 24 July). Since then, he has “got Brexit done” (in his own misleading definition), won the Tories a thumping majority and seemed to be set on a full term of strong and stable government. Of course, a global pandemic would have changed everything, as it has in every country. Preceding governments also made the wrong choices and failed to prepare. But the loss of life on the scale it is reaching in Britain was not inevitable, as the evidence of some other countries shows. Johnson told us in early March that we would be OK because “we already have a fantastic NHS, fantastic testing systems and fantastic surveillance of the spread of disease”. The response was poor, the leadership lacking. There will be a reckoning.

www.independent.co.uk/voices/boris-johnson-tory-government-christmas-cabinet-brexit-coronavirus-trade-a9520076.html

Doodledog Tue 19-May-20 23:58:02

I also agree with you, growstuff.

As for the EU countries - we are an island. That is a massive advantage when it comes to an infectious (or is it contagious? I am never sure of the difference) disease. Plus, we had another huge advantage, in that we had advance warning, and could have taken action far earlier.

Cancelling Cheltenham would have been a start, as would closing the airports, buying PPE, attending COBRA meetings, instigating lockdown, not even considering so-called 'herd immunity' (and instead going straight to test and track), and not discharging patients from hospitals into care homes.

Claiming to 'follow the science' was foolish at best, and disingenous at worst, and cost lives, as will relaxing lockdown when London's R rate is half that of the North of the country, which is criminal.

GagaJo Wed 20-May-20 00:05:50

Sparkling, I’m no better and no worse than anyone else. It’s become the new normal. Hence returning to engagement with political debate.

If your only response to someone posting a story you disagree with is ‘You’re going crazy’ then possibly it isn’t the OP/me with the issue.

MayBee70 Wed 20-May-20 00:08:27

But he SAW what was happening in Italy and Spain and did nothing to prevent it happening here. Can anyone tell me what he did that was proactive. I mean, we still haven’t closed our borders properly and the pandemic has been going on for how long? Portugal saw what was happening and took immediate action. What exactly has the PM done that is good? He was,IMO, too busy dealing with his personal life to take an interest in what was happening around him.bAnd he’s even on record (This Morning) talking about ‘herd immunity’. I will admit that supply chains etc have been handled well, but am not sure if that would have been the case had we left the single market already.

vegansrock Wed 20-May-20 04:23:33

We see very little of our PM or Home Secretary , but they must be at their desks working away on our behalf - well if you believe that one ......we are definitely the laughing stock of Europe here, the incompetence is beyond belief.

Calendargirl Wed 20-May-20 06:57:58

Is the scheduled Whit recess any different to the scheduled school summer holidays when it comes to it?

Don’t suppose either of them are set in stone.

Calendargirl Wed 20-May-20 06:59:00

Who says we are the laughing stock of Europe vegansrock?

Lucca Wed 20-May-20 07:08:18

Calendargirl. I’m afraid many many people young and old who have friends in Europe.

Calendargirl Wed 20-May-20 07:13:19

Well, if they are laughing at us, seeing as we’ve left, it needn’t concern them as it’s not their problem.

vegansrock Wed 20-May-20 07:13:29

calendergirl the European papers. My Italian relatives let me know the word on the ground in their hotspot - we had 3 weeks notice and did nothing still haven’t controlled our borders. The blustering, lies and u turns have not gone unnoticed ( apart from by those who choose to believe our government are “ doing their best”) . Why has Hong Kong had not a single infection in a care home?

Lucca Wed 20-May-20 07:17:32

Calendargirl. No indeed, it is very much our problem.

lemongrove Wed 20-May-20 07:20:25

So much angry hot air......must be the weather.?☀️

Of course we are mot ‘the laughing stock of Europe’ ( that phrase used to be wheeled out regularly by cross fans of the EU). Those countries have enough to deal with at the moment, as have we.Believing what the newspapers say is akin to believing there are fairies at the bottom of the garden.

Johnson won’t be ousted from his position as PM by wishful thinking.Why shouldn’t recess go ahead? The work of Parliament doesn’t consist only of the time they sit on the benches.

vegansrock Wed 20-May-20 07:21:31

It’s not just the EU. Though.
Are we not interested in anything that happens in other countries?
Obviously not we just wend our merry own way.

lemongrove Wed 20-May-20 07:21:51

Mot....not! Too early for typing.?

vegansrock Wed 20-May-20 07:26:15

No Johnson won’t be ousted by wishful thinking - it will probably be a stab in the back from his own side sometime in the future. Seems to be the normal outcome.

vegansrock Wed 20-May-20 07:31:06

Recess should obviously go ahead - Johnson has probably a holiday booked.

lemongrove Wed 20-May-20 07:32:39

vegan it’s only months since he became PM, you are going to have to wait a good deal longer for any knife action.?
Perhaps almost 5 years.

vegansrock Wed 20-May-20 07:37:10

I’m not holding my breath but there’s probably a Greek tragedy that Johnson could quote from to predict the outcome.

lemongrove Wed 20-May-20 07:39:15

Or a Carry On? Infamy, infamy.....they’ve all got in in for me!

Grandad1943 Wed 20-May-20 07:48:19

It would seem that with a majority in Parliament of eighty seats the Conservative Party are very secure in government, but have become very insecure within themselves.

Boris Johnson is a politician and person who loves to play to the crowd. When speaking in that environment Johnson is at his buffoonery best and many like him for that aspect of his political personality.

However, with few in the House of Commons to hear him at prime minister's question time and on other occasions, there can be no whipping up of his backbenchers into their usual howls of support, and in that the now-famous Boris buffoonery falls flat and looks rediculas.

The same can be said of other occurrences when he has spoken of late. Social distancing ensures that the setting at any press conference is suppressed, and again the Johnson thrashing of the air in gestures as he speaks cannot create the atmosphere of fervour that so suits Boris on those occasions.

The above is perhaps the reason why in the last two weeks Johnson has become politically invisible to the British public, and through that why it appears that the government now suddenly looks so unsure of itself in this crisis.

Communication has to be at the centre of all as the economic side of this unprecedented emergency evolves and becomes ever deeper. Many companies have become exemplary in bringing forward the highest levels of communication, ingenuity and involvement with their staff as the emergency has progressed. However, with the government, it appears that such communication and through that the ability to carry this nation with them is now being lost. The finger-pointing of blame has materialized, and ministers now seem to be sidetracked into a row with the teaching profession that builds no confidence in anyone.

Never since the Second World War has there been a time when a Prime Minister was more required to be seen to strongly command the government, but that is now not the case which is, I believe, is a huge detriment to the country at this time.

Time for a change of Prime Minister?????

Nico97 Wed 20-May-20 07:57:18

Or a Carry On? Infamy, infamy.....they’ve all got in in for me!
grin grin lemongrove

Davidhs Wed 20-May-20 07:59:44

Johnson certainly isn’t up to the Job that’s for sure, he would never been elected if it had not been for the Brexit debacle. The only people who can replace him are the Tory hierarchy, I’m pretty sure he won’t fight the next election. There isn’t any point in replacing him now, get Covid 19 and Brexit over then change leader.

Who knows what state the country (or world) will be in by then

grannyrebel7 Wed 20-May-20 08:10:44

My DH has predicted this too. He said he'd give him 3 months. We shall have to see, but I agree with you I think Boris has lost the plot!

trisher Wed 20-May-20 10:08:29

If he does go do you think he will use the excuse of wanting to spend more time with his family????

maddyone Wed 20-May-20 10:32:17

growstuff
Your post from yesterday at 20.44. I agree and forgot to include that Corbyn was also a huge reason why people voted for BJ at the last election.
Also your comment,
Maddyone, that is totally irrelevant and illogical
I agree, I wrote it. I couldn’t resist, a bit tongue in cheek really. Your reaction made mesmile

Anyway, I agree with others who have mentioned mistakes made by this government, and I have complained on here before about them. In particular, I was cross about the fact that the lockdown was too late and we didn’t close our borders, except for freight and repatriations. Now I’m also upset about the care homes debacle. But I still feel that whoever was in charge, with this situation being so unprecedented, mistakes would have been made. It is true of almost every country in the world. Sweden comes to mind, with it’s population of around ten thousand and refusal to lockdown. Deaths would most likely have been fewer if they had locked down. Pictures from Spain showed Covid19 patients lying on the floor in the hospital, not enough beds. The pictures from Italy, well I’ll just say horrific. Countries who are loosening lockdown are seeing cases rise.
I’ll be surprised if we see a change of Prime Minister by Christmas. It may depend on how events unfold. A second huge spike this summer, or possibly more likely, in the autumn, might harden attitudes. Unfortunately my crystal ball is on strike, and not telling me anything useful at the moment. Maybe the crystal balls of others are performing better. Otherwise we’ll all have to wait and see.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 20-May-20 10:50:44

Good post Paddyanne and Gagojo. Boris is just a part time leader who is not up to the job of running the country and yes he could well be gone by Xmas. As for his serious illness that someone wrote about, how come an overweight 50 plus male make such a recovery from intensive care to jogging on Sunday when runners I know who are much younger and fitter have taken at least 2 months to get over the virus. And they weren't even in intensive care.