Gransnet forums

News & politics

My god, and we thought Boris was the king of waffle!

(53 Posts)
phoenix Mon 25-May-20 17:01:20

Dominic Cummings, interview currently on Radio 4.

Didn't handle the questions very well, did he?

Sussexborn Tue 26-May-20 01:10:49

Only three threads on this so far! How disappointing!

Callistemon Tue 26-May-20 00:19:14

We've had lots of birthdays this month in this family.
Somehow managed on zoom or Whatsup.

merlotgran Tue 26-May-20 00:07:01

Time I went to bed. grin moon

merlotgran Tue 26-May-20 00:05:54

Oh, I've mentioned the wife's birthday twice. grin

merlotgran Tue 26-May-20 00:04:16

Which fell flat on its face.

merlotgran Tue 26-May-20 00:02:18

Forgot to mention the bit about his wife's birthday.

Maybe a nice little getaway jolly?

merlotgran Tue 26-May-20 00:01:27

I'm beginning to wonder if any of the family had coronavirus.

The cabinet are falling like flies, his wife's birthday is coming up. He's running to his car because she's got the bags packed.

Who is going to argue if you 'have symptoms?'

Boris rapidly going downhill. You're hardly going to get a call from the boss!

The only one tested was the child in hospital and he didn't have it!

hmm

Callistemon Mon 25-May-20 23:44:34

So, did he infect Boris?

MayBee70 Mon 25-May-20 23:41:46

But, after seeing his wife was ill she seemed a bit better so, even though she probably had Covid he returned to Downing Street because the country obviously cannot be governed without him. Even though he should have self isolated immediately for 14 days and stayed in his main residence. I’m sure that’s what he said but, unfortunately I’m going to have to listen to it again.

Callistemon Mon 25-May-20 23:31:03

I thought he ran home from 10 Downing Street because his wife was ill.
The last time I looked, 10 Downing Strert was in London.

Then, according to his wife's story, the next day she was better but he was really ill, in bed for 10 days and she and the child nursed him, then emerged to a lockdown London.

So how did they get to Durham and when?

Is it just me who remains confused?

vegansrock Mon 25-May-20 23:00:18

I can remember being really ill with food poisoning with 2 young children and putting the tv on and letting them pull everything off the shelves. Most parents cope. They did not have to drive. I’ve done shopping for sick neighbours and left it their doorway. Was there no one within a 260 mile radius of the Cummings who would have done the same? Those who thinking he’s acted responsibly are obviously in thrall to this mans dogma.

growstuff Mon 25-May-20 21:10:35

He wasn't "safeguarding" the child. He was allegedly "seeking childcare" - as many others have had to do.

The exemption to children leaving the family home was included for those at risk of abuse.

growstuff Mon 25-May-20 21:08:17

Yes, she can drive. Somebody called Andrew Gimson wrote a biography about Johnson. Mary Wakefield worked at the Spectator when he was editor and there's a reference to her driving in it. (I guess she could have been banned since then or otherwise become incapable of driving.)

Sorry I can't do the link.

growstuff Mon 25-May-20 21:01:34

Driving with impaired eyesight is an offence.

When I have my diabetic eyesight tests, I have drops put in my eyes, which sting and make my eyesight blurry.

On the letter telling me about the appointment, there's always a strict instruction not to drive.

Eloethan Mon 25-May-20 20:46:18

I agree about Johnson being the king of waffle. I haven't seen a briefing yet where he actually answers a question. I think it was Beth Rigby who asked him whether he believed the government had made mistakes in dealing with the virus. He spent about 5 minutes telling everybody what a wonderful job the government had done - and the civil service, and delivery drivers, local councils and nurses, and doctors .......... Then it was the end of the briefing.

MayBee70 Mon 25-May-20 20:21:32

Deeds: I’m glad you said that. It’s something I’ve been thinking for a while and listening to him today convinced me that I was right. He truly couldn’t see why he should apologise because he can’t see anyone else’s point of view.

Daisymae Mon 25-May-20 20:16:51

Cummings wife can drive. Why did he need to test his eyesight with the child in the car when she could have driven them back???

Devorgilla Mon 25-May-20 20:11:43

No-one can criticise him for safe guarding a child but you do it with minimum risk to others not maximum risk. By going to Durham he exposed five others to risk as he and his wife were displaying symptoms. Minimum risk would have been arranging for sister or eldest niece to come to them.

Grannynannywanny Mon 25-May-20 20:10:21

Parts of it reminded me of another cringeworthy interview last year.

At least Pizza Express was closed

Hetty58 Mon 25-May-20 19:58:48

Deedaa, yes that might explain (but not excuse) a lot. Driving to test eyesight seems ridiculous to you and me of course.

Deedaa Mon 25-May-20 19:36:12

After the first 10 minutes I suddenly realised that I could have been listening to DH. In a similar situation he would have come up with a similarly convoluted solution and we would have all be dragged along with him. The test drive to see if he would be able to get back to London was the sort of thing DH had done so many times - usually with me sitting beside him muttering "This is a really bad idea" I've always thought Cummings was on the spectrum and now I'm sure. He shares DH's inability to understand that other people see things differently. It's difficult to live with and I would have thought it was really undesirable in government.

merlotgran Mon 25-May-20 19:30:15

Boris is definitely still the king of waffle, phoenix. Tonight's briefing is excruciating.

When all else fails, just resort to telling people to wash their hands. hmm

boat Mon 25-May-20 19:25:53

The press conference began very late (so rude).

I think they decided to give him another tranquilliser and had to wait for it to take effect or perhaps they decided to use the hypnotist after all.

I was really surprised that he lasted for over an hour without exploding.

I'm still not convinced though; there are too many loose ends.

It's not just because I dislike him or his politics. He was being so uncharacteristically reasonable I was able to put my dislike aside and concentrate on his arguments.and they just don't hold water.

Some of the points have already been raised on this thread. I will come back later when I have had a chance to watch it again.

Will he resign? No.

Will Johnson sack him? No.

But if the anger from the general public of all political persuasions goes on Johnson might get the push from the people who actually run the Conservative Party because frankly he won't be a vote winner any more and that will get rid of Cummings as well.

harrigran Mon 25-May-20 19:24:07

You will be hard pressed to find anyone up here, spitting distance from where he was staying, with an ounce of sympathy for him or his family.

varian Mon 25-May-20 19:18:12

A feeble attempt at post-justification which could not possibly convince anyone with an ounce of critical faculty