Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will he resign 2

(615 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 25-May-20 17:31:13

Next one

GNHQ edit: Following on from previous thread linked to here: Will he resign?

Dinahmo Mon 01-Jun-20 20:27:22

WW" I do that all the time.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 01-Jun-20 18:03:24

Yes donahmo I was being lazy, doing 2 things at the same time.

Dinahmo Mon 01-Jun-20 17:48:39

WW2 I assume that you are referring to Sonia Khan. She has the backing of her union which means that she won't have to pay legal costs. The naming of DC means that, should she win, he will be liable for some of the costs. The case should take place in December.

Dinahmo Mon 01-Jun-20 16:49:19

The excuse that DC gave concerning child care was misleading. When the govt enacted the emergency legislation back in March there were clauses relating to vulnerable children. Unfortunately it was hastily drafted and did not go through the usual processes.

The legislation was intended for children suffering from abuse which would likely intensify because of the lockdown. The legislation did not relate to children who might be at risk from covid 19. The cabinet knew this and even made excuses for DC. Apparently there has been a worldwide increase in child abuse, particularly online.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 01-Jun-20 16:31:07

It keeps piling up doesn’t it? Report in the Guardian

Government lawyers have tried and failed to remove the name of Dominic Cummings from a sex discrimination claim being pursued by Sajid Javid’s former special adviser

Whitewavemark2 Mon 01-Jun-20 12:55:16

?

growstuff Sun 31-May-20 13:16:37

Sorry! Had to laugh at the thought of Cummings being just the man to sort anything out. He's a nihilist, who believes in destroying the status quo, but he's no genius and hasn't ever created anything positive. He even had to edit his blog retrospectively to make it appear he's capable of forward thinking.

MissAdventure Sun 31-May-20 13:15:45

I think the differences of opinion have been expressed without nastiness, particularly considering the subject matter.

Nothing wrong with healthy debate.

GGumteenth Sun 31-May-20 12:57:52

Where have all the bigots gone? I find them here on GN being very rude to posters they don’t agree with.

I think you will find that whenever there are two entrenched camps each side feels like that about the other. I'm not sure I would call that bigotry though. You don't really need another person to be a bigot, do you?

MissAdventure Sun 31-May-20 12:47:05

Which bigots?
There are very many different opinions on here; that doesn't make people bigots.

25Avalon Sun 31-May-20 12:30:52

Where have all the bigots gone? I find them here on GN being very rude to posters they don’t agree with.

Jabberwok Sun 31-May-20 11:46:23

Grandad, As you know I am not a fan ,but for the record I have complained on another thread about the disgraceful way journalists behaved outside J.C house, presumably hoping for 'that' photo, or 'that ' utterance which might make a detrimental headline. I think there is a doctored photo of him with another person at Romney Marsh, but I could be wrong, it could have been another time, but the implication was recently!! It's a disgraceful way to behave whoever the victim is. Just horrible!

GGumteenth Sun 31-May-20 11:36:54

I know I shouldn't be but I am shocked to find that the cottage is actually a second home. I gave the b****** the benefit of the doubt. No wonder the Cons brushed aside the suggestion of equalising all those people who travelled for child care needs.

MaizieD Sun 31-May-20 11:36:49

But you have to understand, GGumteenth, that Ug views Johnson as a godlike figure who has nothing at all to do with the previous 10 years of tory 'government'. He's a caped crusader, flown in to right all the wrongs of his predecessors. So she doesn't think that any tory policy pre 2019 is anything to do with him.

I'm not 'exactly' sure why he didn't display all this concern for the common people and public services before last year, but, there you go..

GGumteenth Sun 31-May-20 11:32:58

Boris inherited all this under investment from Cameron & Osborne’s austerity.

Then Ditherer May.

Sorry, I hadn't realised you didn't vote these people in to power UG. Which government did you try to get in at the time?

GGumteenth Sun 31-May-20 11:29:24

So who's fault is it if Public Health England is not fit for purpose UG

Public Health England (PHE) is an executive agency of the Department of Health and Social Care in the United Kingdom that began operating on 1 April 2013. Its formation came as a result of reorganisation of the National Health Service (NHS) in England outlined in the Health and Social Care Act 2012. It took on the role of the Health Protection Agency, the National Treatment Agency for Substance Misuse and a number of other health bodies. It is an executive agency of the DHSC, and a distinct delivery organisation with operational autonomy.

It exists in it's current form because of the changes under the Conservative government and has only existed under the Conservatives.

Grandad1943 Sun 31-May-20 11:22:18

gillybob, in regard to your post @10:34 today, it matters little now who seen what at the time of Cummings misdeeds occurring.

Cummings condemned himself at the rose garden interview in admitting that he drove to Cumbria at the time of lockdown, tested his eyesight by driving sixty miles with a child in the car and drove to a hospital when he believed he had Covid-19 along with much more.

Also, I did not see you on this forum complaining gillybob when journalists surrounded Jeremy Corbyns front door day after day seeking stories that even the writers who wrote many of those stories now admit were based entierly on untruths.

GGumteenth Sun 31-May-20 11:20:44

That's okay then gillybob and 25Avalon 'cause in your pro-Conservative, pro-Brexit world two wrongs DO make a right. So even though the second wrong could not have been committed if the first hadn't been we can now forgive anything that came before simply because the second wrongs were committed by people who don't share your point of view.

Yep. That sounds like the morals of Conservative Brexiteers.

MaizieD Sun 31-May-20 10:47:39

I thin Cummings will focus on Public Health England.
It’s a bureaucratic joke.
It’s not fit for purpose.

I'm sure they're lining up a purchaser for it in the USA even as we speak. Ug

MaizieD Sun 31-May-20 10:45:43

If this is true, then I can’t see how he will survive.

It's true, Ww2. It's been very well researched

universalcreditsuffer.com/2020/05/31/cummings-spare-cottage-without-planning-permission-and-pays-no-council-tax/

All the relevant documents shown.

I don't think for one moment it will bring him down.

Though it shows up again the holes in his story. His account seems to say that there are three dwellings on the site, his parents', his sister's and his. But there's only one dwelling paying council tax hmm

25Avalon Sun 31-May-20 10:38:38

Gillybob I agree

gillybob Sun 31-May-20 10:34:34

Liars exposed today . Labour Party activist who pretended he had spotted Cummings and an anti-Brexiteer who themselves broke lockdown.

I am quite disgusted at the ways the press are congregating around his house . No social distancing just a group of piranhas ready to bite.

Urmstongran Sun 31-May-20 10:30:06

I thin Cummings will focus on Public Health England.
It’s a bureaucratic joke.
It’s not fit for purpose.

Boris inherited all this under investment from Cameron & Osborne’s austerity.

Then Ditherer May.

Someone ought to be accountable for the failures following the Cygnus report. PPE stock that was years out of date. Laboratory capacity that was severely under estimated. Red tape prohibiting private laboratories to help out.

It’s been shocking. It’s high time it had a shake up and Cummings is just the man to organise it before he hands in his resignation in 6 months.

GGumteenth Sun 31-May-20 08:54:56

Where was that from Whitewave. I thought the "cottage" he went to was his father's.

I think Mrs May has it. Sadly, because the press and some people went about it in a rather extreme manner he has got away with what, in other times, would have meant he would go. He can now just refer to the fact that he didn't break the law he was accused of breaking.

Whether or not the conspiracy theorists are correct and he came back from Russia intent on bringing the country down it is with Johnson where the responsibility still rests, Johnson and his government.

They have already, in my view, set Matt Hancock up as a patsy when all this is over and continued to treat him as below the salt when they swept away the chance to look into fines paid by anyone doing the same thing.

Cummings will be there until they get the Brexit they want. For many perhaps most, any economic pay off from this will be a long time coming. For the Eton gang in government, those with enough to fall back on and even enough to invest, all their birthdays will have come at once. Those who end up still having a job will just get by, as always, and those in need will end up yet again with nothing or next to nothing while this government says "See, we got your Brexit but now we have to pay off the Coronavirus debt". More of the poorest will die young and more of the rich will get richer.

Nothing changes except this time many of those who will suffer will have voted for it.

Urmstongran Sun 31-May-20 08:42:43

Today in the Daily Mail:

“One teacher who reported Cummings drove 250 miles himself to get his daughter despite the lockdown rules
And Tim Matthews, who also claimed Cummings broke the rules, said he made his tale of events up as a joke”

Says it all really.
Twitter and some media types have latched on to Cummings. Trial by media.
Spin and trying to whip it all up - even if it’s made up ‘as a joke’. Fool.