Gransnet forums

News & politics

I understand the virus better than I understand politics at the moment.

(15 Posts)
25Avalon Wed 03-Jun-20 13:05:27

I didn’t speak out in favour of anyone GGumteenth. Whatever government is in power we are never told the full story. When it comes to lifting lockdown I will do what I consider to be best for my safety.

GGumteenth Wed 03-Jun-20 11:16:43

Was typing - and being interrupted - while you put your post on WW. I'll read it now.

GGumteenth Wed 03-Jun-20 11:15:42

Politics can be very complex and often there are things going on that we either know nothing about or are misrepresented by the press.

We certainly live in difficult times but we do seem to be finding it more difficult than some other countries Avalon. Why do you think this is? I find it interesting that, despite what seems like best advice from other countries i.e., those doing this successfully, that we run Test and Trace from local bases with the government co-ordinating, we have not involved our local health care or our ready set up local Public Health services; instead we have gone to a commercial company. Have we learned nothing about what happens when we do this? Of course, commercial companies have their place in this but as yet they cannot even turn the tests round in a timespan that will allow tracing to be meaningful.

I agree that all governments have to balance things but how many lives is the government's view of the economy worth Avalon. Those who are speaking out in their favour should have an answer to that question.

You say We can never be sure what hidden agendas may be there but why in an educated country, do we need hidden "agendas". They are our servants, not our masters or do you choose to believe that is exactly what they are?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 03-Jun-20 11:06:30

The editorial in the guardian today addresses the issue we’ve been discussing.

Makes uncomfortable reading. I’ll paraphrase it for quickness.

Johnson has seized the opportunity in the crises to concentrate power rather than diffuse it as he suggested he would during the election.

For the next month - The end of online voting and quelling on parliamentary debate had reduced the commons to a rubber stamp for whatever Johnson wants

Johnson only wants a few MPs in the chamber to debate the issues and they must queue up to vote. This has cut out about a third of MPs and effectively disenfranchised millions of voters.

The result is that a government who has allotted itself so much control of parliament can and does suppress information or enquiries which bare to its disadvantage, sometimes by refusing to supply information ( many examples but I think the Russia report is a glaring example)

Johnson is both scornful and fearful of scrutiny, silencing scientists etc. .

A vigilant, inquiring and effective commons is essential to prevent misuse of formidable powers in a pandemic.

It is extremely bad news that Johnson does not want such a parliament.

25Avalon Wed 03-Jun-20 10:10:33

I said a government as that’s what’s happening all over. Didn’t want to get in the Brexit debate as it just gets too acrimonious.

MaizieD Wed 03-Jun-20 09:44:09

If it kills us all it kills itself. That's self defeating.

I read somewhere that mutations usually tend to lessen rather than intensify the effects of a virus for that very reason. Of course, the theory may be completely wrong...

So a government isn’t just thinking about our actual physical health but the economics of getting the country up and running again which affects the well being of all including future generations.

I'm assuming that you're speaking from a theoretical viewpoint here, Avalon?

Because in reality our government looks to be determined to further wreck the economy by going for no deal with the EU at the end of the transition period.

Another of our Dom's nihilisms perhaps?

25Avalon Wed 03-Jun-20 09:24:25

Btw I think it does set out to kill us. It doesn’t just reproduce it has all the armament to kill. That makes it a killer.

25Avalon Wed 03-Jun-20 09:20:58

Politics can be very complex and often there are things going on that we either know nothing about or are misrepresented by the press. So a government isn’t just thinking about our actual physical health but the economics of getting the country up and running again which affects the well being of all including future generations.
We can never be sure what hidden agendas may be there which is why it is so important that you do know as much as you can about Covid19 and make decisions for your own well being depending on your individual circumstances and what calculated risks you are prepared to take.

GGumteenth Wed 03-Jun-20 09:11:52

The Government is in the pockets of Vote. Leave and the ERG.

I woke up this morning and thought something similar but not really to do with Leave. That seems to me to be an outcome of having a nihilist (Dominic Cummings) running the country.

The definition of nihilism is that they believe in 'nothing'. This definition "They believe in nothing, maintaining that life has no meaning and rejecting all moral and religious values as well as political and social institutions." tells us all we need to know about the power behind the current throne. Destruction of what we have will be in his nature.

GGumteenth Wed 03-Jun-20 09:02:04

Do any governments care about its people? The main concern should be the welfare of the country, not pandering to the whims of its populace.

I wonder how you define this "country" you talk about if not by the people living in it, ladymuck?

Cindersdad Wed 03-Jun-20 08:09:40

I think I understand both the Virus and the Government. The Government is in the pockets of Vote.Leave and the ERG. They do not know how to control the virus lurching from one cock-up to another. As regards Brexit they have a cledar plan to line the pockets of the ERG (JRM especially) and DC's Hedge Fund Manager Friends.

COVID-19 provides a distraction and something to blame along with the EU when the impact of Brexit really strikes home.

Jacob Rees Mogg's bill forcing MP's to attend parliament may give a localised spike in infection which if it does happen will put even more power in the hands of our deranged executive. If they do get a culling of MP's those that are able to come are mainly the younger fitter conservatives lacking in experience and scared to rock the boat.

We cannot protest under lockdown, letters to MP's have little effect only Piers Morgan, the Indy and the Guardian say it for what it is. When will the BBC, Daily Mail and other media outlets put common sense and the truth over a fear of being accused of bias or alienating Boris and his toadies.

ladymuck Wed 03-Jun-20 06:58:30

Do any governments care about its people? The main concern should be the welfare of the country, not pandering to the whims of its populace.

growstuff Tue 02-Jun-20 22:35:46

So many dead cats! If ever there was a time for people to keep their eye on the ball, it's now.

People! This government doesn't give a sh*t about you!

MayBee70 Tue 02-Jun-20 22:29:19

At least the virus doesn't pretend that it has our best interests at heart.....sad.

GGumteenth Tue 02-Jun-20 19:24:50

The virus only has one aim and that is to reproduce. It doesn't set out to kill us or make us ill. Sadly, I am not sure the same can be said of our politicians.

Day by day the government stops following the science while telling us that they are following the science. They are also blatantly manipulating the figures.

Parliament is now, rather than taking the opportunity on offer to move to the future, staying in the past if not going further back than that.

Goodness knows what Trump is up to but an American Catholic Bishop has just suggested he may have committed blasphemy.

Is it the position of the stars or is there a reasonable explanation for this?