Gransnet forums

News & politics

Keir Starmer’s patience has finally run out.

(107 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 03-Jun-20 08:14:55

Starmer has accused Johnson of what we all know to be true which is a collapse in public confidence over the handling of the coronavirus crises.

The main points of his argument are listed below.

*Johnson is “winging it” over the easing of the lockdown, (it is clear from posts on GN that many are uneasy about the easing).
* the timing of the latest decisions had been taken “to try to deflect attention away from the Cummings affair” ( something else GN was clear on I think a “dead cat” was mentioned)
*Johnson has to get a grip of the crises, Starmer went on to say that after a week or more of chaos and mismanagement that Johnson has simply succeeded in making a bad situation ten times worse.
* sStarmer had previously called for an exit strategy but what we have ended up with is an exit without a strategy.

We want to see schools ope, businesses back at work families seeing each other. But it is clear that across the country there is a growing concern that Johnson is now winging it, at precisely the time when it needs maximum public confidence.
* the collapse in confidence is undoubtedly the “Cummings Factor” - one rule for them and one rule for everyone else.
But the governments sudden and totally unexpected decision to lift shielding restrictions is another factor . This was done without any advanced notice, either to public health directors or GPS and in advance if adequate test and trace system being in place.
Schools are opening without wide consultation with teachers, parents and unions.

“Johnson has to get a grip”

If we see a sharp rise in the R rate, the responsibility for that falls squarely on the door of No 10.

Johnson has responded by saying he is going to take control ???

biba70 Thu 08-Oct-20 19:25:46

When the likes of Julia Hartley Brewer tweet that Keir Starmer is 'wiping the floor with Boris' - you know Tories are truly turning against him.

Dinahmo Fri 12-Jun-20 13:02:45

Thanks for your last post WW interesting reading.

GG I heard on the news yesterday that other countries use different methods or apps for track and trace that have been successful. Like so many things, the app used in the UK was one produced by a relative or friend of Cummings. I have read that requisition of other items related to covid have not been put out to tender but just purchased from other friends, whether of Cummings, the PM or other members of the Cabinet.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-Jun-20 11:06:06

This

GGumteenth Thu 04-Jun-20 23:42:50

Interesting stats Whitewave. I'm not surprised (sweeping statement coming) as I would guess that more people like calm in an emergency rather than bluff and bluster.

Now we find out, via the Guardian, that the NHS coronavirus test-and-trace system, designed to prevent a second deadly wave, is not expected to work at full speed until September or October.

Furret Thu 04-Jun-20 23:00:17

Some people are just too stupid to know how stupid they are. I am of course talking about Boris. He simply doesn’t understand that almost everyone can see through his bluff and bluster and just continues to dig himself into a ever deepening hole.

When I say stupid, I’m not talking about his intelligence as defined by IQ or he wouldn’t have scraped a 2/1 presumably, but the man has no emotional intelligence and no moral compass. No wonder Starmer, who has both, finds him irrational and irritating.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 04-Jun-20 18:01:08

Starmer has a net leadership rating 30 points higher than Johnson. A 20 year high for a Labour leader.

Ed Miliband and Jeremy Corbyn were NEVER rated higher than Cameron or May. Leadership ratings are strong predictors of election outcomes.

GGumteenth Thu 04-Jun-20 17:03:25

You can do what you like - swearing seems to be popular with you Furret.

It seems you took something personally even though it wasn't written in that way but in exactly the same vein as when you showed the limits of Dinah's argument. If you are being pedantic then maybe I could have written "one" or "anyone using it" or whatever but as I had not set out to offend merely to talk about forms of argument as you had, it didn't occur to me that anyone would be so thin-skinned. I do not see there is anything to apologise for except, perhaps an apology from you for the attacks and swearing directed at me but I have grown used to that from some on GN so it really is already yesterday's news.

Furret Thu 04-Jun-20 15:56:32

If that’s an apology then I accept it. I can’t use the plural ‘we’ (even though you indicate you were using the plural form of ‘you’) because I can’t answer for anyone else.

GGumteenth Thu 04-Jun-20 14:28:05

I wasn't talking down to anyone as it was anyone I was talking to grumppa. You is plural as well as singular you know.

Actually, and factually we are all mortal - aren't we? I must admit I find it a shame if anyone considers themselves "mere". How sad. We are all equal surely?

Galaxy Thu 04-Jun-20 14:24:20

I view the 'be positive' message in the same way as as I view be kind, it really means shut up, I dont want you to express a view.

FarNorth Thu 04-Jun-20 14:06:05

Scotland, NI and Wales all eased lockdown regulations at the same time

By the way, these countries did not ease lockdown in the same ways as England did.
England is out of step with the rest of the UK because of Johnson's decision to pre-record an announcement of changes without any consultation with the other countries' leaders, or even with Mayors in his own country.

FarNorth Thu 04-Jun-20 14:01:05

I've now viewed yesterday's PMQs.
If Johnson is as 'in control' as he claims, he ought to be able to give clear answers to the questions he is asked.
Instead he blusters and complains that KS does not have a positive attitude.

Positive attitude, on the government's part, needs to result in decisive, effective action and I don't believe this is happening.

grumppa Thu 04-Jun-20 13:49:04

Reading your post of 11.59, GGumteenth, I kept thinking of Dominic Cummings. I wonder why: being talked down to as a mere mortal, perhaps?

lemongrove Thu 04-Jun-20 13:43:48

Dinah I think most people would find those four letters tedious if they were in every other post.
We will have to accept, that unless it’s a verified fact they are printing, then it’s the opinion of the poster who writes it.

lemongrove Thu 04-Jun-20 13:41:09

FarNorth I do give Johnson credit for getting back to work so soon after his serious illness.Not sure that he should have done so mind you.
For those who will never accept that he does anything at all right of course, then they will no doubt disagree with me on this.Hey ho.

Dinahmo Thu 04-Jun-20 13:12:17

Furrett I should have added flight or fight.

GGumteenth Thu 04-Jun-20 13:10:01

It seems some GNetters are too insecure to discuss so can only do so if they can add a post attacking anyone who doesn't agree with exactly what they said. Noticeably they also try to diminish what - their own insecurity - by name-calling and rather nasty descriptions of others personalities.

Why is that okay?

FarNorth Thu 04-Jun-20 13:09:56

[Johnson] sometimes gets things wrong (though I give him credit for bouncing back from the virus and ICU)

Seriously??

When his well-publicised careless attitude, as well as lack of decisive action, may well have led to illness and death for others, as well as his own illness?

Dinahmo Thu 04-Jun-20 13:09:31

Lemongrove If you find it tedious to read 4 additional letters, then so be it.

Dinahmo Thu 04-Jun-20 13:05:13

Furret Instinct.

GGumteenth Thu 04-Jun-20 13:03:36

Well, Elegran, if I am reading your post correctly what you imply is that some people are very thin-skinned and extremely quick to take the impersonal personally assuming a great deal that isn't in a post - although I may have misunderstood you of course.

But isn't it interesting that these very same people feel it's their right to be directly abusive to others?

Dinahmo Thu 04-Jun-20 13:03:30

Joelsnan Hours of reading the posts on here, listening to the radio and watching interviews on tv. I have often thought of doing a survey of the fact providers and the opinion givers but life's too short and I'm busy with more important things.

GGumteenth Thu 04-Jun-20 12:54:09

I did not say need to understand the limits of [my] experience you completely changed that into a blatant misquote by adding a word that was nowhere intimated Furret.

You then go on to personally attack me. Why? You attempted to point out the flaws in Dinah's post - oh, yes, it's okay for you to do it but when I pointed to the flaws in your argument in a completely none personal manner I get the fishwife treatment including being sworn at. One rule for you it appears and another for everyone else.

Elegran Thu 04-Jun-20 12:48:22

Posters tend to object more if they disagree with the manner and tone of someone's presentation of a view than with the actual content of that view. Some people are in the habit of implying that those with a different opinion either know far less about the subject than their own expert knowledge, or are too stupid even to begin to understand the subtleties when they are explained to them again. That doesn't make others likely to shift their view to join them.

Furret Thu 04-Jun-20 12:35:45

...to clarify...a remainer.