Gransnet forums

News & politics

Lunch Time News

(35 Posts)
Calendargirl Wed 03-Jun-20 13:13:52

Just been watching the first few minutes of BBC lunchtime news. When the political reporter was giving his summing up of the latest happenings, there was some out of sight idiot hollering off camera.

Couldn’t make out what he was yelling, but very distracting, which I suppose was his intention.

Was it the ‘Stop Brexit’ chap on the loose again?

Calendargirl Thu 04-Jun-20 06:42:13

Steve Bray a ‘legend’?

Not my definition of a legend.

Idiot yes, legend no.

MayBee70 Wed 03-Jun-20 22:12:41

We’ve got a lot if eccentrics in politics at the moment: Rees Mogg being the classic example. Steve Bray is a legend and a British eccentric of the best, most decent kind. The trouble with Rees Mogg is that he is effective but in the worst possible way. He’s probably just been responsible for infecting parliament with the virus.

growstuff Wed 03-Jun-20 20:37:59

He should be PM!

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 20:36:04

Well, he's nothing if not totally ineffectual!!

A British eccentric.

lemongrove Wed 03-Jun-20 20:11:36

Steve Bray .....?

varian Wed 03-Jun-20 18:42:12

Good post Cindersdad

MaizieD Wed 03-Jun-20 18:37:17

Whatever it is, growstuff, up with it these Gnet posters will not put! grin

growstuff Wed 03-Jun-20 18:32:19

Could the shouting have had something to do with the George Floyd march?

Calendargirl Wed 03-Jun-20 18:26:56

Whoever ‘Shouty Man’ is, it’s a pity he hasn’t got anything better to do than stand there hollering.

Cindersdad Wed 03-Jun-20 18:02:05

Thank you for correcting me MaizeD. smile
I voted REMAIN as you all know, the recent actions of Dominic Cummings, Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees Mogg have further convinced me that Brexit is a major self inflicted case of national self harm.

If JRM's latest trick of stopping virtual parliament is anything to go by he may get a second spike of Covoid in Westminster. Then who would they blame?

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 16:51:59

He's Welsh.
Perhaps he should come home to Wales and protest in Cardiff Bay.

The return to school policy is potty but anyone who protests is being inflammatory apparently.

Firecracker123 Wed 03-Jun-20 16:46:16

I think perhaps he has mental health issues or someone is paying him. I think he is rather a sad person.

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 16:45:05

He's got a very fitting name!

MaizieD Wed 03-Jun-20 16:43:25

It was Donald Tusk, Cindersdad... wink

Steve Bray (if, indeed it was him) is perfectly aware of the fact that we've left the EU.

His latest campaign is to hold the tories to account for their mishandling of the Covid19 crisis and the resulting appalling death toll.

No, I don't know him and he can keep on shouting outside parliament and interrupting news interviews for as long as he likes as far as I'm concerned.

Still very interested to know how jJabberwok's free speech has been curtailed.

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 16:39:04

Oh dear.
This isn't a Brexit thread.

It's about trying to listen to the news with an endless hollering going on in the background.

I agree, the reporters do not need to stand there. Leave him to make himself hoarse. He will make not a jot of difference, his presence there is utterly pointless.

Cindersdad Wed 03-Jun-20 16:21:01

Any Brexit especially a No Deal Brexit is bad for Britain as you will find out when it happens. Then it will be too late. Boris will blame the EU and perhaps Coronavirus as well and some suckers will believe him and others may say "I told you so!"

If anyone who voted Leave looses their job because of Brexit it will be partly their own fault. If they voted Remain and lost their job due to Brexit they will rightly be very angry.

I hope they get an extension to the transition period and time to reflect and rethink. MaizieD is right. Project Fear was largely right, Vote Leave misled so many and the Tories denied us a chance to change our minds.

Populism is ugly here and in the USA, recent events have shown us just how ugly it can be. Hi-jack the popular vote and then exploit the population, remind you of Germany in the 1930's.

Michelle Barrnier said "Anyone who promoted Brexit without thinking it through deserves a special place in Hell". They have never thought it through from day one and never reflected that they may be wrong.

JenniferEccles Wed 03-Jun-20 14:57:45

Saying he’s not ignorant MaizieD you clearly must know him so could you please tell him to give it a rest for all our sakes?!

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 14:55:05

ladymuck grin

We have some scrap metal men who come around hollering like that; apparently they pick up scrap metal if it is left out on the road. None of us are really sure because no-one can tell what they are hollering either.

ladymuck Wed 03-Jun-20 14:42:02

I had my window open and got up to look out and see who was shouting!

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 14:39:59

He's not ignorant

That's as maybe but it hasn't made any difference has it!
Only someone slightly unhinged would stand there for years shouting like that with no obvious result.

lemongrove Wed 03-Jun-20 14:36:38

It certainly sounded like that idiot who used to spend his entire life hollering NO BREXIT!
Free speech yes, public nuisance, also yes!

MaizieD Wed 03-Jun-20 14:32:21

After all freedom of speech only ever seems to work one way!!

Oh dear, Jabberwok. And who's been curtailing your freedom of speech then?

Jabberwok Wed 03-Jun-20 14:30:04

I don't think anyone on here would care about that JE! Attempting to drown him out was probably considered a good thing! After all freedom of speech only ever seems to work one way!!

maddyone Wed 03-Jun-20 14:26:16

I hear him regularly. I don’t know what he is shouting about, because it isn’t clear. My husband has a similar reaction to yours merlot.

Calendargirl Wed 03-Jun-20 14:24:11

If it is the Brexit man, I assumed he was shouting about something else.