Gransnet forums

News & politics

George Floyd Protests in Hyde Park

(1001 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Jun-20 16:34:13

There are 1000’s of protesters in Hyde Park as I post this, no social distancing.

When in two to three weeks time the UK Covid-19 figures go up and more people die these protesters will be responsible!

Smileless2012 Thu 11-Jun-20 20:55:43

I've no idea growstuff but as no one has said a statue of Nelson Mandela would offend them, why ask the question?

growstuff Thu 11-Jun-20 20:43:53

Maybe I should rephrase the question. Why would a statue of Nelson Mandela offend anyone?

growstuff Thu 11-Jun-20 20:42:24

maddyone I've just been catching up with this thread. There's no need to be so aggressive towards me about scouting. Nowhere have I compared it with the Hitler Youth - nowhere!

Yes, it is OK for me to dislike what scouting stands for. It seems like a relic from colonial days and an ethos of the lower classes respecting their so-called betters.

Personally, I couldn't care less what happens to any statue of Baden-Powell. In my eyes, he wasn't a "great" and represents a kind of society which has long gone.

Smileless2012 Thu 11-Jun-20 20:41:05

sparklingsilver didn't say a statue of Nelson Mandela would offend her. She asked if a statue of him or anyone else offended her, if it would be acceptable for a baying mob to destroy them.

Oopsminty Thu 11-Jun-20 20:37:15

However I still contend that at this time for a policeman to try headlocking a suspect and wrestling them to the ground is not a good idea.

I'm not sure what the police are supposed to do then. Imagine you've been assaulted. You point out the perpetrators to the police who were passing the scene.

So do the police look to see what colour they are before they decide to act?

Surely not.

There's lots of information about how and why the attack took place.

The following from CNN

Police said in a statement to CNN that the incident began at 3:30 p.m. (10:30 a.m. ET) on Wednesday when two officers on patrol were flagged down by a member of the public.
The person said they had just been assaulted and directed the officers towards their alleged assailants.
A struggle ensued when "one of the men resisted," police said. "A number of other people became involved whilst the officer was on the ground," they added.

We really can't allow people to get away with crimes due to the colour of their skin

trisher Thu 11-Jun-20 20:28:35

Callistemon the statue hasn't been there that long. It was put up to celebrate 50 years of him visiting the university It is hidden away in a quadrangle.
If the man with the baseball bat was there to support the policeman I apologise. However I still contend that at this time for a policeman to try headlocking a suspect and wrestling them to the ground is not a good idea. It is difficult in the video to know if the other black men who arrive think that the suspect is being badly treated. Certainly I don't think it is as simple as two black men assaulting an officer.
sparklingsilver28 why would you be offended by a statue of Nelson Mandela? Did he enslave your ancestors or make a fortune from trading in people?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 11-Jun-20 20:21:34

There will always be something that offends someone

Callistemon Thu 11-Jun-20 19:55:47

I've come to the conclusion that there should be no statues anywhere of anyone.
Their presence is bound to offend someone somewhere,

Far better to use the money to educate and/or inspire future generations.

For the record, I had no idea there was a statue of Martin Luther King at Newcastle University nor of Robert Baden-Powell in Poole.
And I have probably never taken much notice of Edward Colston's statue in Bristol although I perhaps should have done.

growstuff Thu 11-Jun-20 19:47:25

Why would a statue of Nelson Mandela offend you?

growstuff Thu 11-Jun-20 19:46:42

Why couldn't you believe what was being written about Baden-Powell sparklingsilver? Do you have evidence that any of it was untrue?

MayBee70 Thu 11-Jun-20 19:38:26

Apologies if this has been mentioned before but computers a bit slow and can’t read through all of the thread. But zone Dr Campbells latest blog he shows people in America tying ribbons round trees as a peaceful way of showing their support in a way that doesn’t endanger other people. I know it isn’t something that we tend to do here but it struck me a nice way of protesting/supporting and I might do it myself.

sparklingsilver28 Thu 11-Jun-20 19:36:32

3nanny6: If the statue of Nelson Mandela, or any other foreign figure, offends me would it be acceptable for a Baying Mob to destroy them?

Oopsminty Thu 11-Jun-20 19:32:58

trisher

Was he? The film doesn't show this
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53002948
You wonder why did he have a baseball bat anyway? I'm also a little worried by the origin of the attack when it seems the policeman has his arm around the suspect's neck and attempts to handcuff him. They then fall to the ground quite who is responsible for that is hard to say. Of course no one should be kicking a policeman, but at the present time I wouldn't have thought holding someone, particularly a black man, in a neck lock was advisable.

Yes, he was, trisher,

Chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation Ken Marsh praised Kemran's bravery, saying: 'The man seen with the baseball bat was actually trying to help the officer. He'd seen him being assaulted by a number of men and got himself in between the officer and his attackers. While others sought only to film the incident, this man did something to try and stop it and for that deserves a lot of praise.'

sparklingsilver28 Thu 11-Jun-20 19:27:09

I could not believe the things being said about Baden-Powell. My best wishes to Poole, Dorset. It is outrages a baying mob should be able to get away with yet more vandalism. If you value your culture and heritage, let your local MP know that it is time for action to stamp on those attempting to impose their version of our history.

Loislovesstewie Thu 11-Jun-20 19:26:46

The incident in Hackney seems to go this way;
a member of the public alleges they have been assaulted. The police officers go to deal with the allegation. The next bit is unclear but one officer ends up fighting with a man who is black. Others join in . One films the incident.
The man with the baseball bat seems to have seen the incident from his home and goes to help the police officer who was on the floor being kicked by other people.
It is clear he just had the bat to hand in his home; I have a bat behind the door as it happens.
Basically that's it.

trisher Thu 11-Jun-20 19:17:08

3nanny6 There is a lovely statue of Martin Luther King in the grounds of Newcastle University. It commemorates when the University gave him an honourary degree in 1967. I agree it's a pity there aren't more

3nanny6 Thu 11-Jun-20 19:12:07

Some of these statues that are being talked about I never knew some of them even existed.
The one statue that I was glad was up is the one of Nelson Mandela and after his many years in captivity a statue to commemorate him was a long time coming.
I was under the impression that the Nelson Mandela statue
is supposed to symbolize the peaceful transition to a world without empires. Perhaps we need to think of some other black people like that whose statues would represent the world we are living in now.

trisher Thu 11-Jun-20 19:11:10

Was he? The film doesn't show this
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53002948
You wonder why did he have a baseball bat anyway? I'm also a little worried by the origin of the attack when it seems the policeman has his arm around the suspect's neck and attempts to handcuff him. They then fall to the ground quite who is responsible for that is hard to say. Of course no one should be kicking a policeman, but at the present time I wouldn't have thought holding someone, particularly a black man, in a neck lock was advisable.

Iam64 Thu 11-Jun-20 19:06:01

Talking about the difference between the woodcraft folk and the uniformed children's Brownie's etc - as I said my girls did both and on balance enjoyed Brownie's more. That would be because our Brown and Snowy Owls were brilliant at helping young girls have a lot of fun. The girls (now mid 30's) still bump into the Owls in our area, much hugs and laughter. And - in contrast to what one poster insists, they were definitely encouraged to think independently.
I struggle sometimes with the prejudice shown towards any organisation historical or current that is seen as conventional. I recognise the influence and good work done by Woodcraft folk, especially as trisher points out - they were on to the Hitler youth in the 30's.
Like the majority, both my daughters dropped out of Guides within a week or so. Just wasn't for them. They were growing up and looking for different influences. They simply grew out of Guides but the positive influence of Brownies remained.

Firecracker123 Thu 11-Jun-20 18:38:20

11:08trisher

Firecracker123 you said I agree with you blondenana, black thugs attacking our police officers and taking selfies. Do these black lives matters?
I will post the photo again. Look at the man with the baseball bat. I'll ask again do you want to apologise to black people?

Perhaps you should apologise to me the man with the baseball bat was trying to help the policeman.

Anniebach Thu 11-Jun-20 18:24:00

Very much like the Scouts Maddy

I promise to do my best,

To do my duty to God and the Queen

To help other people

And to keep the Scout law

maddyone Thu 11-Jun-20 18:06:48

I promise to do my best
To do my duty
To God and the Queen
To help other people every day
Especially those at home.

The Brownie promise, I still remember.

Callistemon Thu 11-Jun-20 17:52:32

Oh yes! I remember now, it was so long ago, Anniebach.

No, I agree, it is odd.
Serve her dinner?

Anniebach Thu 11-Jun-20 17:15:55

Never was ‘to serve the queen Callistemon, how odd it was
changed.

When I was active in the Cub Scouts and Scouts, the promise
was ‘to do my duty to the queen’, this was explained that ‘duty
to the queen’ was ‘duty to my country’. Upholding the law etc.

I would never tell a child they had ‘to serve the Queen’

Callistemon Thu 11-Jun-20 16:43:50

EllanVannin

Australia has a lot to answer for as slave trade goes.

Scott Morrison needs to have a few history lessons!

As well as the Aboriginal slaves, South Sea Islanders were captured and brought in to work on the sugar plantations.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion