Gransnet forums

News & politics

George Floyd Protests in Hyde Park

(1000 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Jun-20 16:34:13

There are 1000’s of protesters in Hyde Park as I post this, no social distancing.

When in two to three weeks time the UK Covid-19 figures go up and more people die these protesters will be responsible!

merlotgran Wed 03-Jun-20 16:36:30

It's madness. We're all appalled at what's going on in the USA but putting lives at risk is not the right way to protest.

Billybob4491 Wed 03-Jun-20 16:38:56

What do you consider the right way to protest Merlotgran?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Jun-20 16:42:41

You do know that there is a worldwide pandemic Billybob4491?

Do you think it is ok to put more lives at risk to show solidarity?

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jun-20 16:46:51

Instead of clapping the nhs, people could step outside to make their feelings known about this issue.

Instead of rainbows in windows, we could put up a sign which shows solidarity.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Jun-20 16:49:06

Good idea MissAdventure ??

Firecracker123 Wed 03-Jun-20 16:49:52

They are protesting that black lives matter but as black people are at higher risk of catching Coronavirus they are putting black lives at risk.

Ellianne Wed 03-Jun-20 17:04:57

Members of my family work in London. Why should they have their lives put at risk having to share a tube carriage with these protesters who have come from all corners of the city? It has been explained over and over again that large gatherings are dangerous to all.

trisher Wed 03-Jun-20 17:12:08

Many of the protestors are wearing masks and some have gloves. I hope that offers them some protection. I did notice that the police don't seem to have any. They are arresting and moving people shouldn't they have some protection?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Jun-20 17:21:46

Any gatherings over 6 people is Illegal at the moment in the UK, wearing gloves and/or a mask is totally not the point!!!

Anniebach Wed 03-Jun-20 17:28:26

Why should the police be put in the wrong for not wearing
face masks , the crowd are in the wrong

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jun-20 17:28:51

Well, I almost hesitate to say it, but that message has been somewhat watered down, of late.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Jun-20 17:36:16

It seems to be turning nasty outside the gates of Downing Street, it’s been reported that a Police Officer has been punched in the face!

Jabberwok Wed 03-Jun-20 17:41:06

ALL lives matter. Well, no need to bother with social distancing any more. What's the point?!! Those poor health providers, they clearly died in vain. Perhaps if there's a spike they won't be quite so keen to risk their lives to save ours. Same goes for all the wonderful people who kept all the services running during this pandemic with little thought for their own safety. Why did they bother?!

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jun-20 18:09:38

That's a question I've asked myself frequently, but it's frowned upon to suggest that there are idiots who endanger others.

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jun-20 18:10:48

A minutes silence would have as much impact, I think.

Jabberwok Wed 03-Jun-20 18:16:12

It most certainly would. Shrieking insults and punching policemen? What on earth does that resolve?

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jun-20 18:17:54

The Brixton protest is peaceful.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Jun-20 18:19:53

Pleased to hear that MissA

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jun-20 18:25:21

Me too.
Let's hope it stays that way.

JenniferEccles Wed 03-Jun-20 22:51:24

What exactly do the protesters want to happen?

The US police officer has been arrested and the others suspended I believe.

Any excuse for a demonstration of course even though it has nothing to do with our police or government.

Thank goodness we haven’t had the awful out of control violent riots we have seen in the States though.

Lilypops Wed 03-Jun-20 23:00:19

I fear the crowds in London will start a spike in Covid 19; there was no social distancing , he’s some had masks ,a lot didn’t,
It was shocking to see the police handling of George Floyd in America, but let it be dealt with in America, Some people just love an excuse to go out and demonstrate, Have they forgotten the pandemic, ? How we all have stayed in for Lockdown , only for what, ? It was frightening and worrying to watch it tonight on tv,

Lilypops Wed 03-Jun-20 23:01:33

Some had masks ,! Sorry typo

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jun-20 23:05:43

I saw a protester wearing a mask, with his child on his shoulders, without one

paddyanne Wed 03-Jun-20 23:31:37

Saying "all lives matter" is a cop out ,I dont think anyone would dispute that all lives do matter but unless you are black you have no idea of how irrelevent a black life is in the normal run of things.It has been that way for centuries and although the civil rights movement made some progress ite has a long way to go before most black people feel equal or near to it .
It may not be so glaringly obvious in these islands but its still there as my black friends can testify

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion