Gransnet forums

News & politics

Food Standards

(44 Posts)
Daisymae Sun 07-Jun-20 11:35:29

Time and time again we have been told by this government that we will not allow food imports that are produced with lower standards than we currently we have in the UK. However it's not much surprise that now they are in negotiations that's exactly what they would like to do. One way is to allow these low standard foods in but with slightly higher tarriffs - for now. So if you are not happy to be eating chlorinated chicken or beef pumped up with growth hormones then really you should take some action. The NFU has a petition and you could also write to your MP. There's lots of info out there if you want to educate yourself on the dangers, not counting of course the suffering of animals produced intensively.
www.nfuonline.com/news/latest-news/food-standards-petition/
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8395291/Americans-sick-food-year-no-wonder-Britons-refuse-eat-says-Sue-Davies.html.

paddyanne Tue 22-Sep-20 20:14:10

Sincerely hope he's defeated in his plan ro rebrand anything Scottish as "BRITISH" We've already got union jacks platered all over Scottish produce...the SCOTTISH brand is world renowned for quality ,he's trying to wipe us off the map and its not about to happen if we can stop it

biba70 Tue 22-Sep-20 19:36:37

Thanks

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Sep-20 19:30:53

biba70

Has anyone got a link- just read Johnson was defeated by a majority of 100 to stop a deal that would allow chlorinated chicken imports. Please?

It was the Lords. Adonis has just tweeted it. I haven’t got a link though.

biba70 Tue 22-Sep-20 19:10:23

Has anyone got a link- just read Johnson was defeated by a majority of 100 to stop a deal that would allow chlorinated chicken imports. Please?

Davidhs Thu 18-Jun-20 08:18:16

“ Why would we lower our standards in the hope of exporting a tiny minority of our produce to the USA ?”

Mistake I think, we already export a tiny minority to the US.

The issue is them sending us low quality food, it must show country of origin and be produced to our standards

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jun-20 07:10:00

The US has told the UK that it will not sign any trade agreement unless we accept lower standards of animal welfare and food production.

It is called a level playing field.

Remember that?

Personally I prefer the standards we in the U.K. have and am not willing to lower them. Most of our food we export goes to Europe, at the moment we are complying with their standards, and our farmers can export to them confident of a level playing field.

Why would we lower our standards in the hope of exporting a tiny minority of our produce to the USA ?

NotSpaghetti Tue 16-Jun-20 16:36:56

MaizieD - I'm not signing for the farmers I'm signing against lowering animal welfare standards.
Can you think of it that way too perhaps?

Furret Tue 16-Jun-20 10:55:00

* MaizieD
I'm afraid that is one petition I don't intend to sign. Most British farmers voted for Brexit (though the handful that I know actually didn't...). They've brought this on themselves. No sympathy from me.*

Furret Tue 16-Jun-20 10:47:45

Yes, there was another thread where I posted the link

GardenerGran Tue 16-Jun-20 10:46:31

I’d already signed it after reading a blog from Jamie Oliver.

Riverwalk Tue 16-Jun-20 10:43:31

I'm confused Maizie!

You weren't on that petition thread - or is there another one?

MaizieD Tue 16-Jun-20 10:38:54

You're OK, Riverwalk. It was me.

I'll further say to Furret that I have signed countless petitions, contributed to crowd funders and been on marches so please don't accuse me of not fighting. Just allow me my moment of peeve...

Riverwalk Tue 16-Jun-20 10:35:13

Furret

When I posted a petition one GNetter replied (inaccurately) that most British farmers supported Brexit so she wouldn’t sign.

No hope when we have attitudes like that.

I said no such thing.

www.gransnet.com/forums/food/1279847-Food-standards-petition

Furret Tue 16-Jun-20 09:38:54

‘Others’ being those who are taking up the cudgels and trying to fight this government’s worst excesses.

The same government you rightly identify as ‘the most appalling government’ ever known,

Furret Tue 16-Jun-20 09:35:53

So it was you? I couldn’t remember who posted that but you do not seem to be ‘on the same side’ when you post inaccuracies that undercut what others are trying to do, because of some historic grievance.

MaizieD Tue 16-Jun-20 09:33:26

The Leave vote is destroying our Parliamentary democracy and enabling nationalist thuggery such as we saw at the weekend. It's also subjected us to the most appalling governments I have ever known. It's no longer the country I was born and brought up in and which I was rather fond of.

I'm not getting over it...

MaizieD Tue 16-Jun-20 09:29:15

You can keep your snide to yourself, Furret. I don't know if you'd noticed but we are actually on the same side.

I've been arguing the toss on this forum for 4 years now and there are times when the 'cake and unicorns in the sunny uplands' brigade tra la la-ing with their fingers in their ears make me see red. Farmers were a very high profile Leave voting group. I don't feel like supporting them.

Furret Tue 16-Jun-20 09:21:32

Boris lies. He is known as a practised liar. He opens his mouth and just says the first thing he thinks of.

If people believed his election promises then more fool them.

Furret Tue 16-Jun-20 09:17:10

When I posted a petition one GNetter replied (inaccurately) that most British farmers supported Brexit so she wouldn’t sign.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 16-Jun-20 08:17:07

Which

paddyanne Sat 13-Jun-20 11:39:09

they already started mis labelling food ,Scotland THE BRAND is very important to our economy,it promises the highest quality and is the preferred choice of top chefs ,not just meat but soft fruits and seafood.In the past year we've seen a worrying number of companies adorn their food in supermarkets with a Union Jack instead of a Saltire .The actual place of origin may well be on the package but the writing is so small its impossible to read.
Its just a small step into eradicating the area of origin entirely.

Parsley3 Sat 13-Jun-20 11:33:54

Petition signed and shared.

NotSpaghetti Sat 13-Jun-20 11:30:20

The National Food Strategy group was looking for comment on its proposals.
You can sign up here if interested - I think it may be sending "holding" emails for now but it was supposed to have a consultation document open till October:

www.nationalfoodstrategy.org/

NotSpaghetti Sat 13-Jun-20 11:26:29

I am most concerned that foods with lower animal welfare standards are NOT permitted in the UK once we leave the EU fully at the end of the year.
Our government PROMISED that this would not happen and yet it seems as though it will.

I am saddened that everything people have campaigned for over the years will be for nothing and that this will also have more of an impact on the very poorest in our society

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Jun-20 11:19:07

You can go direct to the farmer. That’s what I am doing.