Gransnet forums

News & politics

Black Lives Matter versus All Lives Matter

(346 Posts)
SueDonim Sun 07-Jun-20 18:15:16

There has been much talk about the slogan ‘Black Lives Matter‘ with many people saying instead that all lives matter. I think it’s a good topic for debate and to gain understanding.

To me, saying ‘all lives matter‘ is to deny that racism exists. It denies the experience of many black people who are not treated as white people would have been. Think of the man who achieved the highest office in America. Would anyone have raised the ‘birther’ question had Barack Obama been white? Saying all lives matter also closes down debate on the issue, suggesting that the very particular problems black communities experience are no different from that of anyone else therefore we shouldn’t talk or do anything about it.

The term ‘black lives matter‘ is not saying that only black lives matter. It means that black lives matter as much as other lives, whether that is in the undue violence meted out to the black community, the discrimination they face in healthcare , employment and housing and in many, many other ways.

I’ll put a link on the next post, explaining why saying all lives matter is wrong. If you only look at one item, please watch All Plates Matter. It sums it up in two minutes. Be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

Summerlove Tue 30-Jun-20 02:52:08

growstuff

I am neither Christian nor black, so I don't really have any personal views on the matter, but I'd be interested to know what Christians of any ethnicity other than white think. I just find it a little strange that a statue of Jesus in Ethiopia should represent him as a white person. It would be easy to see a hidden message.

I’m a white Christian. I’ve thought for years how strange he was depicted as white when he very likely was not

growstuff Tue 30-Jun-20 01:14:33

I did a little research on this. It would appear that centuries ago Jesus was depicted as a black man/baby with black, curly hair in Ethiopian pictures. There are quite a few ancient examples.

It was the same in other countries in Africa and round the world. Jesus was depicted with the physical characters of the region where he was being worshipped.

It wasn't until European colonialisation and the arrival of missionaries that Jesus began to be depicted as having pale skin, European features, a beard and long hair with a central parting. Such images became common in the European Renaissance.

Anniebach Mon 29-Jun-20 22:27:32

You are forgetting - the virgin birth !

Callistemon Mon 29-Jun-20 22:19:09

It was a Syrian Christian who first introduced Chrisianity to Ethiopa in about 400 AD. Before that there was Judaism and other faiths. The Ethiopian Jews have lived there for centuries.

Anniebach Mon 29-Jun-20 21:50:23

Christians kneel before a gold cross in many churches, they
don’t believe Christ was crucified on a gold cross.

The painting by Hunt in St.Paul’s ‘The Light Of The World’
and his painting ‘The Shadow Of Death’ does portray a white
Christ.

lemongrove Mon 29-Jun-20 21:43:14

Yes, they claim to be descended from the tribes of Israel (Ethiopia) if memory serves me well.

growstuff Mon 29-Jun-20 19:50:55

Hmm, not convinced.

Callistemon Mon 29-Jun-20 19:44:49

Rather like the features of the statue.

Callistemon Mon 29-Jun-20 19:44:01

The statue is white marble so impossible to tell.

As for European features - why would you assume that all Europeans look the same, just as all Africans can differ greatly.

Many Ethiopians have lighter, olive skin and longer face with Semitic, aquiline features.

growstuff Mon 29-Jun-20 18:54:54

I am neither Christian nor black, so I don't really have any personal views on the matter, but I'd be interested to know what Christians of any ethnicity other than white think. I just find it a little strange that a statue of Jesus in Ethiopia should represent him as a white person. It would be easy to see a hidden message.

hugshelp Mon 29-Jun-20 18:44:58

Regardless of what Jesus actually looked like, since we are taught God created Man in his own image - shouldn't we have statues that represent people of all shapes, sizes and colours? Isn't it more about what the statue symbolises than historical accuracy now?
Shouldn't we be thinking that we are all brothers and sisters and celebrating our differences in appearance rather than fighting over the appearance of Jesus?

growstuff Mon 29-Jun-20 17:14:19

Who did those paintings?

Ethiopia has one of the oldest Christian communities in the world. Today, Christianity is still the biggest religion in Ethiopia. This is a statue of Jesus in Addis Ababa. I think it's probably white marble, so it's difficult to know what colour his skin is supposed to be, but he does have very European features. If I were a black Ethiopian Christian, I might wonder why a white European should be representing a brown-skinned Middle Eastern.

Callistemon Mon 29-Jun-20 16:57:47

lemongrove

Yes growstuff so my Welsh friend tells me ....in fact she does look very Spanish.

I thought everyone knew that, growstuff!
Most portrayals of Jesus were from paintings from centuries ago.

lemongrove my Welsh friend looks Cypriot and has been mistaken for a local woman when we were in Cyprus.
A Cornish friend had a Spanish surname originating from centuries ago.

We are all Heinz 57 varieties.

lemongrove Mon 29-Jun-20 16:53:38

Another family member ( also North Yorks) looks a dead ringer for a Viking, including pale skin, high cheekbones and redgold hair.He is even called Eric.?

lemongrove Mon 29-Jun-20 16:50:56

It is very interesting, my step Father looked very ‘Roman’ short and dark skinned, black hair, he was from North Yorkshire near the coast, where lots of Romans did settle.

growstuff Mon 29-Jun-20 16:42:26

lemongrove

Yes growstuff so my Welsh friend tells me ....in fact she does look very Spanish.

I have a Welsh friend who also looks very "Spanish". He's done loads of research about the genetic origins of Welsh people, which is how I'd ever heard about it. It's possible that most of the people in what are now the British Isles had similar looks, but they were ethnically cleansed by the Saxons.

The Romans also brought people of all sorts of ethnicities to most parts of Britain.

lemongrove Mon 29-Jun-20 16:34:11

growstuff Mon 29-Jun-20 16:26:05

lemongrove There were migrations from Portugal and parts of Spain in Mesolithic and Neolithic times. Even today, many Welsh have genes from the Iberian peninsula and South West France.

Callistemon I don't suppose Jesus had black African looks either, but he almost certainly didn't have white European looks, which is how he's most often portrayed.

Devorgilla Mon 29-Jun-20 16:19:44

hugshelp, the anti-slavery organisation has a poster which reads:
We didn't say ONLY Black Lives matter.

Think that works.

Blinko Mon 29-Jun-20 16:18:44

Thanks, Hugshelp, that's just what I said on page 1.

lemongrove Mon 29-Jun-20 16:06:47

I have a good friend who is Welsh, and she gets asked which country she is from all the time.?She has Welsh dark looks complete with black hair.

lemongrove Mon 29-Jun-20 16:05:11

Ah, you really know your New Testament Callistemon?
Yes,
Jesus would have looked middle eastern.It doesn’t matter if any ethnic group choose to portray him as they look themselves ( as long as they don’t start asking for a certain colour to be taken away....as Shaun King is doing).He can have whatever he likes in his own church.

Callistemon Mon 29-Jun-20 15:56:45

I'm not arguing.

Being of the House of David he was probably not of East African origins.

Ethnically he was Middle Eastern well, yes. Most likely like a Semite of Galilee.

growstuff Mon 29-Jun-20 15:53:23

Callistemon

Well, he was Jewish!!

Judaism is a religion. Jews have all sorts of skin colours, including black in East Africa. Ethnically, he was Middle Eastern, so it would be surprising if he had white skin.

growstuff Mon 29-Jun-20 15:51:31

PS. Shaun King is also a Christian pastor.