Gransnet forums

News & politics

I am not trying to be controversial, but...........

(303 Posts)
Lexisgranny Wed 10-Jun-20 10:33:30

Much has been written universally about the appalling murder of George Floyd and the subsequent global reaction. I wholeheartedly agree that not only black people, but other ethnic minorities have been, and still are experiencing unacceptable discrimination, which must stop.
The removal of the statue of Edward Colston in Bristol has resulted in demands for all statues of those connected with the slave trade being removed. This has now escalated to calls for this to be extended to road signs etc that incorporate their names.
My question is what about the hospitals, schools and charitable institutions that were endowed by those who benefited from slavery and bear their names? Where does it stop? For example Guys Hospital was founded by Thomas Guy, a philanthropist who had made a great deal of money from the South Sea Company. Will public opinion demand that it’s name be changed? Discrimination and slavery are abhorrent, but as to the rest, I don’t know, but would be very interested to hear what Gransnetters think.

Nanna58 Fri 08-Jan-21 11:25:38

If the film Gone WithThe Wind is right to be ‘ gone’ EllenVannnin , should we also ban Anne of a Thousand Day’s as it is about a murdering misogynistic monarch? See, with removing things in the past, where do you stop? Just sayin....

lemsip Tue 05-Jan-21 08:59:46

well said Genty!

PamelaJ1 Tue 05-Jan-21 08:54:19

Bradfordlass they don’t think.

Genty Tue 05-Jan-21 08:51:29

You cant change history, whats happened has happened, we can only learn from it. By pulling statues down doesnt make the history disappear! What people seem to forget is that the slave traders did a lot of good, a lot of towns and citys were built by slave traders. How far do we go, pull down the buildings and houses that all come from monies from the slave traders!

Grany Tue 05-Jan-21 08:40:37

The BLM statues row puts Royals under the spotlight

m.youtube.com/watch?v=n3vBwiSDWyQ

The Royals benefited hugely from slavery.

BradfordLass73 Mon 04-Jan-21 23:51:40

I wonder if those who advocate for or pull down statues of slave owners and traders, buy things from Pound Shops (or in my case $2 shops)?

If so, how do they think these things can be sold so cheaply, having come all the way from a far eastern country and already had some profit shaved off them by wholesalers?

Eloethan Mon 15-Jun-20 10:44:18

What do you mean by "quiet change" 25Avalon? If you mean slow change so as not to ruffle the feathers of racists then, in my opinion, it will turn out to be no change or very insubstantial change. For years we have had research findings highlighting the discriminatory, and sometimes life threatening, treatment of non-white people in all areas of public life. Every so often there is an inquiry that confirms these inequalities and makes recommendations, which are often quietly shelved.

Of course, racism is not so overt these days but it still significantly affects people's lives in many ways.

Yes, it would be lovely if we could "all rub along together" but unfortunately it won't happen when some people really don't want to do that and are hell bent on denying there is a problem with racism, sexism, classism, homophobia, etc, etc.

25Avalon Sun 14-Jun-20 21:46:29

If only we could all rub along together. Forget colour, race, religion, sexual orientation we are all people and all individuals, not stereotypes. Maybe it will all happen quietly like the falling of the Berlin Wall. 60 years ago homosexuals were treated in the most appalling way. Quiet change is sometimes the best but we all need to respect each other.

lemongrove Sun 14-Jun-20 15:57:36

I must be cool as I knew exactly who Ice Cube is?He is quite old-ish now though, he was very popular in the late 80’s and early 90’s.He’s actually quite a good actor, have seen a couple of films with him in it.
If he is saying anti-Semitic things on twitter then he has no understanding of what it’s like to be looked down on.....oh wait a minute, he’s American and Black! Which makes it even more strange.We have to realise that it isn’t only white people who can be racists.....it seems to be everywhere and by all kinds of people.

tickingbird Sun 14-Jun-20 15:47:24

destroy the people you don't like and don't agree with Yesterday at 10:39 by Gumteeth.

Blatant lies. Anything to deflect and dismiss valid points. I have said nothing racist and haven’t attempted to destroy anyone.

So growstuff that is just a snippet of the untruths posted in an attempt to distract and deflect. Oh and of course the usual reporting - says it all!

Madgran77 Sun 14-Jun-20 14:03:26

About time that everyone accepted the fact that there are good and bad in all races black and white*

So why do you keep posting up the most astounding generalisations about supposed characteristics/ways of working/attitudes etc etc?

growstuff Sun 14-Jun-20 13:59:56

I forgot black Americans.

growstuff Sun 14-Jun-20 13:58:42

EllanVannin Oh yes? where did this stereotype come from? Do you mean Black Caribbeans? Nigerians? Kenyans? Somalis? Ethiopians? Egyptians? Brazilians? That's about as nonsensical as saying all Europeans are the same.

It doesn't matter anyway because your original claim is wrong.

Madgran77 Sun 14-Jun-20 13:58:02

Black families help each other out, whites don't, they're too busy squabbling amongst themselves. The evidence is on this forum many a time.

I find your generalisations, and speaking about people as amorphous masses just because of their colour, quite astounding!!

growstuff Sun 14-Jun-20 13:54:20

EllanVannin Of course there are more white than black people living on the streets. There are more white people in the country than there are black people.

I could only find the statistics for London.

13.9% of the people living on the streets are black. 62.7% are white.

The population of London is approximately 13.3% black. Approximately 59.8% is white.

Therefore, with a margin for error, the percentages reflect the number for each ethnic group.

Of course, that doesn't tell the whole story because London attracts homeless from outside the city, but I'd be interested in the source of your information.

GGumteenth Sun 14-Jun-20 13:47:08

Prejudice doesn't stop at the colour of someone's skin, GGumteenth.

I don't believe I said anything of the sort EllanVannin.

GG65 Sun 14-Jun-20 13:45:05

Prejudice doesn't stop at the colour of someone's skin, GGumteenth. Look around you at the GREAT divide between rich and poor, they're not all black/coloured. Many whites have been given a bum deal too. Why?

No one is disputing that white people suffer hardship. But one less hardship they have to endure is being discriminated against based on the colour of their skin.

There are more whites living on the streets than there are coloured. Why?

Because the population of the U.K. is predominantly white.

How many white householders will lose their homes after this pandemic. Will they get the help they need ? Lost jobs too

Why don’t you change the word “white” in your sentence to “people”.

Grammaretto Sun 14-Jun-20 13:41:30

I confess to not reading this entire thread but I like this idea from Banksy for a statue. It looks good to me.

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jun-20 13:40:57

Black families help each other out, whites don't, they're too busy squabbling amongst themselves. The evidence is on this forum many a time.

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jun-20 13:36:46

How many white householders will lose their homes after this pandemic. Will they get the help they need ? Lost jobs too.

There's prejudice towards those who have nothing from those who have everything.

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jun-20 13:33:03

Prejudice doesn't stop at the colour of someone's skin, GGumteenth. Look around you at the GREAT divide between rich and poor, they're not all black/coloured. Many whites have been given a bum deal too. Why ?

There are more whites living on the streets than there are coloured. Why ?

GG65 Sun 14-Jun-20 13:22:59

I had posted this video in another thread, but it is a good example of how society shapes how BAME children view themselves based on the colour of their skin. Heartbreaking.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=QRZPw-9sJtQ&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3fBBCFbbgD4ue6ICW6DtErSET71B7Q8Iz_at_QZoYR0QBuK0FCz6r6SZI

GGumteenth Sun 14-Jun-20 13:20:21

GG65 exactly!

GGumteenth Sun 14-Jun-20 13:15:23

About time that everyone accepted the fact that there are good and bad in all races black and white

Although that is, of course, a truth it is not the whole truth. You cannot get away from the fact that there is prejudice in this country which affects the lives of people not because they are the "good" ones or they are the "bad" ones but because of the colour of their skin.

And you don't have to read the MSM and put money in their pockets.

GG65 Sun 14-Jun-20 12:51:59

So; is it hypocritical or not? Is it ok to be antisemitic while demanding better rights for BAME persons ? Doesn't it diminish the argument somewhat?

I am certainly NOT arguing against BLM, I don't know where you get that idea. I have merely pointed out that someone who is very influential has decided to make antisemitic posts , He hasn't done his cause any good by the rants

This just reinforces the idea of the “one bad black” i.e. that the actions of just one “bad” member of a minority group is enough to define the group as a whole, or invalidates what they have to say in the eyes of the white population.

It happens following every terror attack. Instant demands are placed on each and every Muslim to condem the actions of the “one bad Muslim”.

I have yet to see the white population of this country judged on the basis of what the “one bad white” says or does. That is because the concept of the “one bad white” does not exist.

What is so terrifying to some about equality?