Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Doll Test

(38 Posts)
GG65 Sat 13-Jun-20 23:01:14

m.youtube.com/watch?v=QRZPw-9sJtQ&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3fBBCFbbgD4ue6ICW6DtErSET71B7Q8Iz_at_QZoYR0QBuK0FCz6r6SZI

FarNorth Sun 14-Jun-20 20:26:16

I wonder who was asking the questions - a black person or a white one.
I also wonder if the children were given any instructions beforehand e.g. told they could, or could not, choose to say both dolls were the same in any answer.

Children often try to do what they think an adult wants.
Looking at it that way, at least some of them must have felt bullied by the questioner.

Callistemon Sun 14-Jun-20 23:20:07

Diane Abbott uses the term 'People of Colour', 3nanny6

I find it difficult to see the difference between the terms 'a coloured person' and a 'person of colour' myself but ne is PC, the other not.

They are all strange terms.
White people are not white are they.

Atqui Mon 15-Jun-20 09:49:24

I agree * Callistemom* . I can’t see the difference but I would never say “coloured” as I know it causes offence. I think the term “ people of colour “ is widely used now.

Atqui Mon 15-Jun-20 09:52:06

There are so many PC labels in different situations now it’s a job keeping up.And I hope no one will be offended by my saying that.

3nanny6 Mon 15-Jun-20 14:22:29

Callistemon yes you are right! the term "People of Colour" is
now very widely used. However to say a coloured person is not usually in use as it can be seen as offensive. My guessing that many years ago they were labelled the "Coloureds" among many other least favourable terms and parliament passed bills through to get more favourable conditions for other races.

They are all strange terms to me and as you say white people are not white and a few days ago on the phone I was asked my ethnic colour, I gave it some thought for a minute
before replying I am British and would not say anything in regard of black or white or other. It's all madness to me.

Callistemon Mon 15-Jun-20 15:54:23

No wonder some elderly people offend without meaning to.

Summerlove Mon 15-Jun-20 16:49:24

Callistemon

No wonder some elderly people offend without meaning to.

I think most people could get past a first offense. It’s when people refuse to change what they are doing after being told it’s offensive that it becomes a problem.

Nannee49 Mon 15-Jun-20 17:44:56

Well, as a child I certainly wouldn't have had the reaction that black was bad or naughty whether the experiment shown was a set up or not...I longed and longed for my own black dolly and was so pleased to be bought one after endless mithering.

This was in the early 50's in a northern town and I don't think I ever saw a black person in real life until my teens. I loved her with a passion and still have her to this day (in a cupboard obvssmile). I believe that, left to their own devices, children are totally colour blinď.

PinkCakes Mon 15-Jun-20 17:57:17

It was based on some est conducted in the 1940s, but the questions were a bit daft -"which is the nice doll" and "which doll is bad".... adults would answer "neither, they are dolls" but children often feel they should give a reply, even when the question is not sensible.

If I asked my GC that same question (they are white, by the way, aged 9 and 5yrs), they'd say the same as me - it's a doll and cannot be good/bad/nice etc.

FarNorth Tue 16-Jun-20 22:22:34

I knew girls who had 'darky dollies' as well as pink ones.
The term wasn't derogatory, it was just a description.

As a child, if I was asked those questions, I'd be trying to work out what was wanted so that I'd get it right.
It would be interesting to know what the children were told beforehand.

It is quite an unkind thing to put them through.

Callistemon Tue 16-Jun-20 23:26:51

I had a black dolly and a white dolly which were the the same size when I was young and I called them my twins.

I agree FarNorth as an experiment in psychology it was unfair and somewhat dangerous.

Jasmine, Tiana, Mulan, Pocohantas etc are all of ethnic origin and are much loved nowadays too.

LullyDully Wed 17-Jun-20 08:06:11

It was a dreadful experiment . To me it looked more like sewing ideas in their heads rather than helping the children affirm their ethnicity.