Gransnet forums

News & politics

Marcus Rashford letter

(305 Posts)
grannyactivist Mon 15-Jun-20 09:41:10

Please take a moment to watch this, it's one of the most uplifting things you'll see I'm sure. This lovely young man is using his position as a footballer to speak out on child poverty and asking the government to reinstate food vouchers for children so they don't go hungry this summer. His mother must be so proud of her boy!
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/53047796

Sheba Tue 16-Jun-20 09:51:58

What an inspiring young man, brought me to tears reading his letter, God bless him.

frenchie Tue 16-Jun-20 09:55:07

My daughter is a headteacher in South London. Most of her children rely on free school meals and the free breakfasts. Her school have been giving enough food for pack lunches every week during lockdown. Émilie is worried sick about all these poor families during the summer holidays if they are not helped. She cares deeply about all her children and is trying to find alternative help

Rosina Tue 16-Jun-20 10:03:12

The government is emphatically not taking food from the poorest. This again is inflammatory talk and is completely wrong. There never have been 'vouchers' to my knowledge and I administered the scheme in a school for almost twenty years. Parents on benefit could apply to the LEA for free meals, and if they were granted this was known only to the person administering the meals. Nobody other than the parents knew, and no other pupils would be aware. Marcus Rashford sounds like a wonderful youg man - he is to be admired for this proposal, but let it be clear that this is a new initiative - and it will cost the taxpayer more so therefore it has to be discussed in Parliament. It is not an argument against taking away - it is a proposal for more giving, and we can all applaud that, but as we all know there is no such thing as a free lunch. Someone is paying, and there needs to be discussion.

PhilJaz Tue 16-Jun-20 10:05:18

@grannyactivist. I am sorry but I do not agree. It is not the governments duty to feed children. Too many people have children they cannot afford then have more.

Juicylucy Tue 16-Jun-20 10:15:48

I read and saw this last night whilst crying. For all the bad press footballers get he’s definitely a shining light. Good heart, good morals. Well done his mum. Apparently Boris has another option to help these children but I cannot understand why he can’t keep the voucher scheme that is already in place and working.

Houndi Tue 16-Jun-20 10:22:46

To Phijaz it not the children fault they didnt ask to be born.It a stock answer to say they shouldn't have the children.Circumstance changed not every child in need come from reckless parents.The fact are children are gping hungry the vpuchers should be all year for food and if tryed to used for anything else such as fags or booze the shop prosecuted.When i worked on the district as a nurse in some of the most deprived areas the government slogan of 5 a day was laughable just making sure these children got one meal was a achievement.A civilised society is judged by how it treats it poor.This government should be ashamed it isnt

Tinydancer Tue 16-Jun-20 10:28:00

quizqueen

I would prefer that this footballer campaigned for people to not have children they cannot afford to feed and for men to start taking responsibility for the children they father and for women to make better choices in the men they allow to impregnate them.

It is not the state's responsibility to feed children.People need to take individual responsibility for themselves, their actions and their families. Too many people think it doesn't matter if a relationship fails or they don't have to work because they can just claim benefits.

What a revolting attitude to your fellow human beings. Anyone can fall on hard times or have their circumstances change. For anyone who falls outside your criteria for having a child are you prepared for their kids to get rickets, fall ill or die from malnutrition?
Can I suggest you spend YOUR time campaigning for the billionaires who make their money from the UK stop avoiding tax and pay their fair share. When CEOs are still paying less tax than their cleaner there is something stinkingly corrupt.
If you have a religious faith may I suggest you pray for a a better sense of morality. Do better.
Have a good day.

Framilode Tue 16-Jun-20 10:48:36

Well said Tinydancer.

MaizieD Tue 16-Jun-20 10:50:48

but let it be clear that this is a new initiative - and it will cost the taxpayer more so therefore it has to be discussed in Parliament.

It will cost 'the taxpayer' nothing because, contrary to common belief, taxes don't fund spending. The country can create as much money as it needs.

I didn't notice any debate in parliament when the chancellor announced his £billions scheme for funding furlough and helping businesses affected by the corona virus. Compared to that sum the amount needed to feed these children (and let's not forget that part of their plight is the effect of CV, too) over the holidays is minimal.

Apparently Boris has another option to help these children

Sorry, but anyone who believes that needs to give their head a shake..

I'm dreading the end of the furlough scheme when, it is reckoned, another 3 million people could well be out of work...

jaylucy Tue 16-Jun-20 10:55:51

Good for him, highlighting a problem that isn't new.
There are many sportspeople in particular that have been raised by single parents who have been in the same position.
It is still pretty unbelievable that in this day and age that there are still families in such poverty to even need this service . It's also pretty unbelievable that some bright spark in the first place had the idea that it was ok to provide food for kids during term time but not during the holidays - what are parents supposed to do -save their non existent spare cash during term time to be able to provide that extra meal ?
I think that government just assumes that some charity , as usual, will pick up the shortfall - charities that often get their money from other low income families.
Hoping at long last that this won't be brushed under the carpet again but not holding out much hope after the tweet from the DWP secretary for state. Maybe the MPs can forgo their holiday pay - I'm sure they can afford it!

dizzygran Tue 16-Jun-20 10:56:05

What a lovely young man. I had a few tears when I watched him on TV. I always put some items in the food bank box when I go shopping. Will put a fair bit more next week and look to see how else I can help - such a huge problem, but if lots of people do something. Well done Marcus.

Rosina Tue 16-Jun-20 10:57:24

MaizieD I am asking you, quite seriously here, to explain what you mean by taxpayers not funding government spending and the country being able to create as much money as it needs. I don't understand, and would like to hear the rationale supporting your comments.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 16-Jun-20 10:58:24

This is being discussed in Parliament today.

A mother was interviewed on BBC news this morning this is the first time she has been unemployed since leaving school and the £15 per child per week has been essential to her.

I do hope that the scheme gets overwhelming agreement to continue.

Teacheranne Tue 16-Jun-20 11:05:27

The local football teams do an amazing job in the community around Manchester, both the two large ones, City and United, and the lower league teams like Bolton. If a child played for one of their youth teams, they worked with the school to emphasise the need for good attendance and behaviour. As a teacher in Manchester, we had a few lads whose behaviour in school was challenging but their desire to play football helped keep them in education.

Many children came from Wythenshawe and other deprived areas of Manchester and our headteacher was amazing at finding extra funds to help these schildren and their families. He provided a free breakfast to every child ( all 1400 of them) every day to give them a good start for learning.

So, even as a keen Manchester City fan, I thank Marcus Rashford for raising this issue, there must be tens of thousands of children who go hungry during the school holidays.

Granny23 Tue 16-Jun-20 11:05:33

www.alloaadvertiser.com/news/18518035.free-school-meals-clacks-extended-cover-summer-holiday/?fbclid=IwAR3UnaxGqnVgizAwGfsUdD9_WI1sP9aFOMF5Wubw_IChuCt38L6ql7OC_OM

I assumed that the same scheme as detailed above would be operating everywhere. Is this not the case?

4allweknow Tue 16-Jun-20 11:12:21

Apparently according to media free school meals have not normally been provided during holidays. Due to the pandemic provision was made this year for Easter, mid term but not for forthcoming summer break. Well done to this young man speaking out.

GillT57 Tue 16-Jun-20 11:44:42

Just when I was heartened by the Marcus Rashford story, along comes QQ to remind us all just why Rashford had to make his stand in the first place. I will not bother debating with you, but you madam, are the problem. It must be wonderful being you, I would hate to be your daughter in law with such a paragon of virtue, thrift and tolerance to live up to.

icanhandthemback Tue 16-Jun-20 11:50:29

Before we beat QuizQueen to a pulp let us not kid ourselves that there are many people (of all colours and creeds) who have children without a clue about how they are going to feed and clothe them without the State stepping in. Indeed, some people have children to avoid going out to work or to get a house or whatever they perceive is their right. That should not be tolerated.
However, it is wonderful that this footballer, who comes from a poverty stricken background with a parent who worked hard, can talk so eloquently about his experiences and highlight the difficulties that families are facing. It seems that if you are hard working but poor it is difficult to find childcare within your means and put food on the table. There are limited hours in the day to work so you are absolutely stuck. Most people who are in this position did not expect to be and we should all be supporting them to allow them to bring up their children to be decent members of society. Poverty just breeds criminality out of desperation for a lot of the young people experiencing it and Marcus Rashford is giving more than one positive message with his generosity.

sandelf Tue 16-Jun-20 11:52:38

Quite agree - has been a problem for ever, but if Marcus speaking up get something done - well done him. Summer holidays have always been a problem time for the 'working poor'.

MaizieD Tue 16-Jun-20 12:11:16

@Rosina

The best thing I can do is to suggest that you have a look at this website which explains in more detail than I can in a forum post (though I have tried in the past)

gimms.org.uk/mmtbasics/

It is a bit startling to understand initially as it does seem to fly in the face of everything we think we know about how a country's economy works, but the logic is undeniable.

If you've half an hour to spare this is a nice video that explains it simply and visually. It's American but the same principle applies to the UK

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHQCjFebIf8

graykat Tue 16-Jun-20 12:12:39

Funny how some people can work themselves up into moral condemnation of starving children yet never utter a word against corrupt billionaires who exploit this country's infrastructure and workers whilst stashing their profits in offshore accounts. Hmm, do you think Boris's morality is a clue?

westendgirl Tue 16-Jun-20 12:25:59

The discussion is at 2. 45.
It is so important that this is supported. As I have said before many churches have run schemes, during the summer holidays, such as Make Lunch to provide for the children who may not get a meal. there are websites www.makelunch.org.if you want to see what is being done.
What does it say about our government that this is even having to be debated? Children should not be going hungry , but they are. Just look at the huge increase in people using the Food Banks .I have met several people who have been made redundant recently.
Who are we to condemn ?

HootyMcOwlface Tue 16-Jun-20 12:30:10

This has popped up on Facebook feed

jane1956 Tue 16-Jun-20 12:44:45

Sorry I think the parents should feed their own children, the lady on BBC this morning had her nails all profesionaly done yet couldn't feed the kids! They get benefits, why can't they do as I do and buy yellow stickered food bread is cheap too no need to buy best stuff, but these are the familys who have to buy ready made sarnies etc

Iam64 Tue 16-Jun-20 12:48:47

jane1956- don't say "sorry" when you aren't. Just be outright, take the sorry out of and state your beliefs. We get it, you don't care if children go hungry.