Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cosmetic repaint of RAF Voyager plane at a cost of £900,000

(68 Posts)
Grannynannywanny Wed 17-Jun-20 18:23:49

Boris Johnson has approved repainting the plane used by the PM and members of the Royal family. It’s to be painted red, white and blue at a cost of nearly £1 million.

Apparently BJ previously griped that it was a dull and boring grey colour and needed brightening up.

Families across the UK living in poverty and struggling to feed their children. Businesses collapsing. The country is on its knees.

Great idea, let’s use nearly £1 million of tax payers money to paint the plane jolly patriotic colours. That’ll cheer them all up.

Dollymc2 Thu 25-Jun-20 21:12:11

Vespina, presumably that is a Latin thing, which I and most of the population don't understand
I feel embarrassed for him and indeed, anyone who voted for him
We have children and families starving in this country and painting an aeroplane is a priority?
His days are numbered surely. ..

Grannynannywanny Fri 26-Jun-20 00:18:25

It would have been more appropriate to name it Richard in honour of the PM. But to save paint that could have been abbreviated to the shorter nickname?

quizqueen Fri 26-Jun-20 00:30:58

£900,000 is less than 1/52 of the cost of our daily contribution to the EU (over £52 million) so we'll make it back by 12.30am on January Ist!

growstuff Fri 26-Jun-20 01:10:44

No, we won't. We've already spent the money we were supposed to be saving - and that's not counting the money we're going to lose. And what happened to the NHS?

I cannot believe how gullible some people are.

vegansrock Fri 26-Jun-20 06:43:29

We’ve already spent more on Brexit than our entire contribution to the EU in our whole membership.

NotSpaghetti Fri 26-Jun-20 07:05:07

If it usually costs less than £100,000 to paint a plane in new livery why was this one so expensive?
Has anyone seen an explanation of this?

Vespina is the in house magazine of the Vespa scooter brand. Vespa is a wasp.

Vespina is also a “primitive” moth - in the Incurvariidae family.

Blinko Fri 26-Jun-20 07:24:06

Anyone seen this?

Grannynannywanny Fri 26-Jun-20 07:36:35

Blinko ?

BlueBelle Fri 26-Jun-20 07:48:01

But am I wrong isn’t the Union Jack upside down ? Or is it just the photo

Callistemon Fri 26-Jun-20 07:52:21

Yes, it is upside down.
Perhaps it's going to do some loop the loops.

Davidhs Fri 26-Jun-20 08:18:56

Agreed Blinko!. Good one

LOL

MaizieD Fri 26-Jun-20 08:57:08

Apparently you're looking at it the wrong way up, BlueBelle grin

I've seen a weird explanation which says that the cockpit = the flagpole and you should envisage it from there.

Does this mean that it's the right way up when the plane is in a nose dive? hmm

But whatever it is, it's deprived the RAF of one expensive operational plane. No plane so easy to spot could be used for military purposes.

Callistemon Fri 26-Jun-20 09:01:08

Stand on your head Bluebelle, then all will be ok.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 26-Jun-20 09:45:00

Air Marshall Sir Julian Young has announced that this was a £900,000 VIP refit, so not just an expensive repaint

It does look very stylish.

Jane10 Fri 26-Jun-20 09:49:55

DH pointed out that the plane had to be painted anyway so there would have been costs associated with that and that its not just used for Royal family and PM.
I'm not bothered. There's more to worry about than a plane's paint job.

NotSpaghetti Fri 26-Jun-20 10:42:50

The main refit was in 2015. The recent money included the design work as well as the painting. It’s quite clear on the RAF website about this.

Also, it still has “operational” duties and not just showcase ones.

NotSpaghetti Fri 26-Jun-20 10:46:24

The tail fin flag is exactly as you would fly a flag on a ship or early aircraft. Imagine the leading edge of the fin was a flagpole, the left side and right side would “read” differently.

It’s a new idea to me but obviously a convention as other countries with painted tail-fin flags do the same. It seemed unlikely to me but I did look at photos of other airplanes to check!