Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sock and Awe

(55 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jun-20 09:05:12

Apparently the government is worried that Brexiters are not understanding the hit that the U.K. will receive post brexit in January and are going to start a series of adverts beginning in July to try and alter (nudge) the sunny uplands mentality towards the fact that things will be extremely rocky.

They are also worried that business is not preparing itself.

Personally I think they have enough on their plates with covid.

shock and awe it is called.

Are we at war then?

growstuff Thu 18-Jun-20 14:56:20

Cummings claimed he did. He's an oracle, didn't you know?

The Bank of England has this morning pumped another £100bn into Quantitative Easing.

The government does still have spending power and it will be a huge disaster if it doesn't use it. It's going to have to use even more after Brexit, which could have been predicted, as most people with brains did predict.

lemongrove Thu 18-Jun-20 14:41:32

growstuff

Have you succumbed to believing in Project Fear?

Sod Dominic Cummings! Everybody who voted to remain should be given a job as a government soothsayer!

Are you talkin’ to me?!?
If so, of course not but it’s obvious to anyone with a brain that Covid19 has wiped out much of the government spending power that the manifesto promised.This year wasn’t something anyone could have predicted.

growstuff Thu 18-Jun-20 14:32:28

Have you succumbed to believing in Project Fear?

Sod Dominic Cummings! Everybody who voted to remain should be given a job as a government soothsayer!

lemongrove Thu 18-Jun-20 14:01:54

Witzend

I thought this was going to be about the 67 odd socks you’ve accumulated, while waiting for their other halves to turn up.

Haha me too Witzend ?
It’s a good idea to remind the general public ( especially those who take no interest at all in politics or current affairs) that our economy has taken a big hit due to Covid19 and that having left the EU we will be making our own trade arrangements ( unless we do well in negotiations.) There are probably many things that were in the manifesto that won’t now be possible for a long time.

MaizieD Thu 18-Jun-20 13:48:47

Not at all, MawB. It's just the impression I got. Sorry if I was wrong.

MawB Thu 18-Jun-20 13:36:06

Not being defensive MaizieD - should I be?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jun-20 13:31:21

I am in awe mawb 3 broadsheets??.

MaizieD Thu 18-Jun-20 13:23:59

I don't think anyone's blaming you for missing it, MawB. You sound a bit defensive...

growstuff Thu 18-Jun-20 13:22:37

MawB I just posted a link - just for you. Sorry I couldn't deliver a print newspaper to your doorstep. hmm

MawB Thu 18-Jun-20 13:17:16

Well, the Donald apparently tweets endlessly
That is enough to put me off.
Plus, I read three broadsheet newspapers - how much time do some people have to follow Twitter as well?

MaizieD Thu 18-Jun-20 13:11:14

Twitter is a useful adjunct to newspapers.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jun-20 13:10:10

mawb ??

MawB Thu 18-Jun-20 13:07:42

MawB

Is this a case of What Aboutery?

I have not seen that turn of phrase anywhere - until you gave it the oxygen of publicity. .

AsI said I had not seen it, perhaps because I read my news in newspapers not on Twitter?

MaizieD Thu 18-Jun-20 13:03:43

'Fenian bastards MawB?

It was reported on twitter yesterday about disturbances in St George's Square, Glasgow

twitter.com/AamerAnwar/status/1273305556829327362

growstuff Thu 18-Jun-20 12:57:53

The statue defenders from last weekend came from a number of different groups. I actually felt sorry for a couple of elderly medal-wearing veterans I saw interviewed. They must have felt they were let down by the yobs.

growstuff Thu 18-Jun-20 12:55:25

Marcus Rashford is a footballer. So is the "Egyptian King" Mo Salah. It's a scandal that some footballers still have to endure racist taunts, but on the whole I think the clubs themselves are doing quite a bit to combat racism.

Callistemon Thu 18-Jun-20 12:47:49

MaizieD

Which is why I gave them capital letters, yggdrasil. To distinguish them from the perfectly OK ordinary football supporters. It's a subtlety missed by some, I'm afraid..

Quite easily missed.

There have been several posts on ther threads denigrating all football supporters and putting them all in the same thuggish category.

Callistemon Thu 18-Jun-20 12:44:43

MaizieD

Oh, Calli. I was referring specifically to the statue defenders of last weekend.

--No doubt soon to be called Boris's Bovver Boys--

Oh, OK!

The lot that give football supporters a bad name.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Jun-20 12:37:28

growstuff

Neither do I see anything wrong in it. Why would you think I did? As I wrote, it's good to see some people profited from lockdown. It's a shame not everybody did/is doing.

Apologies, I interpreted your post wrong.

growstuff Thu 18-Jun-20 12:35:50

Neither do I see anything wrong in it. Why would you think I did? As I wrote, it's good to see some people profited from lockdown. It's a shame not everybody did/is doing.

growstuff Thu 18-Jun-20 12:34:19

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/no-10-to-launch-aggressive-brexit-media-blitz-politico-writes-1-6706593?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social_Icon&utm_campaign=in_article_social_icons
Government to use ‘shock and awe’ media blitz to force public into no-deal preparations
The government is planning a military-style “shock and awe” media campaign to prepare the public for a no-deal Brexit at the end of this year.

The communications drive, which will cost taxpayers £4.5 million, begins in July and will continue through to May 2022 in four planned phases, POLITICO reports.

According to a government strategic communications dossier, campaigners will use behavioural science tactics to stun and spur businesses and the public into action.
Downing Street have hired media agency MullenLowe London to carry out the blitz, which will be rolled out on private communcation channels due to public distrust in government advertising.

The first “burst” of information in July will focus on “nudging” people to prepare for the “consequences and opportunities” of a no-deal Brexit. This will later develop into a full-scale “shock and awe” campaign in September and November.

This will change to messages on “loss avoidance” during December and January and to “new opportunities” promotions from February 2021 onwards.

The media offensive will be drawn up by the same group who were behind the “Get Ready for Brexit” campaign which attempted to prepare businesses for a hard Exit last year.

The initiative comes following dire government polling in October showing that 61% of UK businesses had not yet accessed information on preparing for a no-deal. In fact, up to 74% of adults made no effort at all and planned not to.

“The Transition Campaign is the most important government campaign this year,” the document, which was found on a government procurement database, read.
“With nine months to go, now is the time to ensure that clarity and certainty is communicated wherever possible about what will happen at the end of the year. Therefore we need to frontload preparation wherever possible, and ensure that any early misunderstanding is ironed out and appropriate actions are taken.”

The campaign is part of a five-point plan by the government to prepare the country for a clean break from EU institutions by December 31.

One of those objectives is to convince Brussels officials that the UK was prepared to leave the transition period without a deal. Others focused on minimising short-term disruption and implementing new protocols and procedures.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Jun-20 12:34:11

growstuff

Good to hear that some people did well out of lockdown!

The alternative would have been furloughing the whole staff including family members.

Our customers classed as ^critical/essential contractors were/are working in hospitals, schools and renewing fire protection in high rise flats. We were determined to supply them however we could, and I can see absolutely nothing wrong with this.

growstuff Thu 18-Jun-20 12:29:22

Good to hear that some people did well out of lockdown!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Jun-20 12:21:10

growstuff

The local builders' merchant in my town closed to all except essential services. There was nobody working on a couple of big building sites.

Lots of the bigger builders merchants did close immediately which has resulted in small/medium suppliers like ourselves picking up their customers.

MawB Thu 18-Jun-20 12:20:11

Whitewavemark2

I see the charmers have been out in force intimidating asylum seekers who are protesting at their living conditions.

They are calling the protesters “Fenian Bastards”

The far right movement is beginning to get very worrying.

“Fenian bastards” MaizieD