Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sock and Awe

(54 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jun-20 09:05:12

Apparently the government is worried that Brexiters are not understanding the hit that the U.K. will receive post brexit in January and are going to start a series of adverts beginning in July to try and alter (nudge) the sunny uplands mentality towards the fact that things will be extremely rocky.

They are also worried that business is not preparing itself.

Personally I think they have enough on their plates with covid.

shock and awe it is called.

Are we at war then?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jun-20 09:05:54

Oh sod it!

That should read Shock And Awe

Lucca Thu 18-Jun-20 09:08:11

Sock is fine ! I thought you were being rather witty !

ayse Thu 18-Jun-20 09:11:39

Think I’d better stock up on toilet paper. It’ll make a great Sunday lunch ?

Nortsat Thu 18-Jun-20 09:12:01

Made me laugh too, it sums up the absurdity of our current situation... ?

Davidhs Thu 18-Jun-20 09:13:52

Last week they were revealing that there would be a transition period for goods coming into the UK and any new taxes or tariffs would not apply immediately.
No specific details then, the French response was there would be no transition their side new rules would apply from day one.

MawB Thu 18-Jun-20 09:20:36

Sock it to ‘em WhitewavwMk2. grin

Grandad1943 Thu 18-Jun-20 09:29:41

I think all involved in the transport industry were surprised by how quickly the Road Transport industry adapted to very changed operating situations when the lockdown began.

Everyone believed that Just in Time (JIT) delivery schedules were the be-all and end-all of distribution. However, when suddenly very many of those schedules could not be carried out, the industry coped and adapted very quickly.

Therefore, should checks have to be introduced at the channel ports and tunnel I feel the same may well happen again. It may push up costs substantially and that will have to be passed through to the consumer, but we have all learned a great deal from the lockdown experience.

Suddenly what could never be changed was changed and very quickly.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Jun-20 09:32:30

Grandad1943 I agree with your post.

Witzend Thu 18-Jun-20 09:34:36

I thought this was going to be about the 67 odd socks you’ve accumulated, while waiting for their other halves to turn up.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jun-20 10:06:16

How are you going to change minds the * grandad*?

The government are worried about people who are wearing rise tinted specs.

Dinahmo Thu 18-Jun-20 10:15:21

Those accumulated socks make excellent masks should the stocks of proper masks run out. So, don't throw them away just yet.

Davidhs Thu 18-Jun-20 10:46:27

Er, Grandad just in time didn’t apply because the factories closed, as did building sites because there were no supplies anyway. Everything non essential just got frozen where it was must have cost transport companies a fortune.

Yes we had change, but now we know how much disruption costs

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Jun-20 10:50:58

Davidhs not sure whereabouts in the U.K. you are, but building sites in London and South East did not all close. Our business has been delivering to them throughout lockdown

MaizieD Thu 18-Jun-20 11:06:30

Grandad. It would be interesting to know what has happened to traffic through our ports during lockdown. Do you have any figures. I would suspect that the throughput of non-essential items was considerably lower than normal. I also suspect that as we are still working within the Single Market this would have made it easier to adjust.

If there is no deal at the end of December 2020 and the French implement their third country controls isn't this going to cause tremendous problems at the ports as British lorries will take so much longer to process? I know that the French have made their preparations and have the necessary infrastructure and personnel, but that won't do much to speed up the processing.

MayBee70 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:09:20

I’d imagine the plan is to blame it on businesses not preparing for brexit and I’m sure we, the public, will be at fault, too.

Callistemon Thu 18-Jun-20 11:32:55

Whitewavemark2

Oh sod it!

That should read *Shock And Awe*

Oh damn!

I thought it was going to be a link to fluorescent socks and wondered if they were coming back into fashion!

Actually, I really dislike that term, it made me weep when George W Bush first used it.

MaizieD Thu 18-Jun-20 11:42:05

It's certainly very shocking that the government proposes to use it to intimidate businesses and its own citizens. They seem to be at war with us.

I expect the Football Lads will love it, though... They'll probably be roped in to help to implement a bit of shock and awe

Callistemon Thu 18-Jun-20 11:50:50

I'm sure there are some bad elements amongst football fans just as there are amongst many large groups of people.

However I know a number of football fans and they are all responsible, caring members of society. Several are running their own businesses, have responsible careers, raise money for charity and are ordinary, decent family men. And women.

Just because a few protest and behave badly des not mean all should be tarred with the same brush which happens daily on GN.

Dinahmo Thu 18-Jun-20 11:50:58

GG13 I thought that building sites could only operate if they were following the guidelines for social distancing. I assume that if they did there would not have been the normal number of workers on any given site. I therefore assume that if a normal load of whatever was delivered, with fewer workers the supplies would have lasted longer.

growstuff Thu 18-Jun-20 11:54:28

The local builders' merchant in my town closed to all except essential services. There was nobody working on a couple of big building sites.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:57:57

I see the charmers have been out in force intimidating asylum seekers who are protesting at their living conditions.

They are calling the protesters “Fenian Bastards”

The far right movement is beginning to get very worrying.

MaizieD Thu 18-Jun-20 12:00:35

Oh, Calli. I was referring specifically to the statue defenders of last weekend.

No doubt soon to be called Boris's Bovver Boys

MawB Thu 18-Jun-20 12:01:09

Is this a case of What Aboutery?

I have not seen that turn of phrase anywhere - until you gave it the oxygen of publicity. .

MaizieD Thu 18-Jun-20 12:02:11

What turn of phrase are you talking about, MawB?