Gransnet forums

News & politics

Chicago shootings

(23 Posts)
PinkCakes Tue 23-Jun-20 18:55:35

Last weekend in Chicago, 100 people were shot. 14 of them died. 4 of them were teenagers, one was 3 years old. Where's the outrage?

BlueBelle Tue 23-Jun-20 19:03:22

Haven’t heard anything about it I m afraid

Galaxy Tue 23-Jun-20 19:07:14

Well I am horrified at Americas gun laws and it's a fairly regular topic of discussion. If you feel strongly about it you could start some sortt of campaign. I am sure there are groups in America who campaign against the gun laws who would be grateful of your support.

EllanVannin Tue 23-Jun-20 19:14:18

Didn't know about this, but the latest in Atlanta where two officers who shot a black man Rayshard Brooks. The officer faces the death penalty.

What do people think of this ? You either agree with the death penalty or not----but the officer shot the black man, so what's it to be ? Do black or white lives matter ? The blacks want justice, so all that remains is to see if this justice includes the death penalty ? Interesting from every angle.

I might add that Brooks had thrown a punch at the officer and also tried to take the taser.

I believe in the death penalty btw.

EllanVannin Tue 23-Jun-20 19:23:45

Our democracy will go to pot after this !

Franbern Tue 23-Jun-20 19:51:21

Chicago saw its highest number of gun violence victims in a single weekend this year with 104 people shot across the city from Friday evening to Monday morning, 14 of them fatally. Five of those killed were minors.

The weekend saw more shooting victims but less fatalities than the last weekend of May, when 85 people were shot, 24 of them fatally — Chicago’s most deadly weekend in years.

Seems to be so normal there, that only makes their local newspaper.

Ellanvannin, could you explain exactly what you mean about ;our democracy going to pot after this' after what?

EllanVannin Tue 23-Jun-20 19:54:30

I could explain, Franburn---but I won't because of the censorship that's going on-----hence my remark about democracy.

Jane10 Tue 23-Jun-20 20:16:50

It's just unbelievably awful that such shootings can go on in a so called civilised country.
I was amazed not to hear on our news about the army being called out in Dijon city centre to separate warring gangs.
Maybe ignorance is bliss sad

JenniferEccles Tue 23-Jun-20 22:38:52

Was it at a demonstration PinkCakes ?

I hadn’t heard about it either.

Callistemon Tue 23-Jun-20 22:59:39

I've not heard about it on our news.

paddyanne Tue 23-Jun-20 23:10:41

The number ofgun deaths in the states is depressing and no longer surprising ,sadly.I dont know why you think this will affect what little democracy there is here EV"

The multiple killings in schools and on the streets seem to wash over us with a sigh of inevitability ..nothing WE can do to stop them especially as America doesn't appear to want to change the gun laws .We should just be grateful we dont as yet have that type of society and hope we never do.

maddyone Tue 23-Jun-20 23:13:13

I don’t believe in the death penalty, it’s obscene in my opinion, for the state to legally murder people.
I haven’t heard anything about the Chicago shootings. It just goes to show that the media decide what we should be interested in.

maddyone Tue 23-Jun-20 23:14:11

I don’t agree with private citizens owning guns either.

Callistemon Tue 23-Jun-20 23:47:11

It sounds very strange, were victims chosen at random?
The shootings went on for hours and no-one is yet in custody.
Very frightening.

crazyH Tue 23-Jun-20 23:53:24

Havent heard about the incident in Chicago. It happens so often in America - ?

Eloethan Wed 24-Jun-20 00:49:49

I think there is continuing outrage about the number of killings in the USA. There have certainly been many campaigns mounted to try and prevent every type of fire arm from being sold, with very little background checks and oversight, on the streets of America. But of course the NRA is so powerful there and it seems nothing can convince a large section of the American population that the easy availability of guns does not make them safer.

The Brady Campaign website states that:

"Every day, 313 people are shot in the United States

"103 people are shot and killed
210 survive gunshot injuries"

Some states do still have the death penalty and the USA is renowned for locking up huge numbers of people in a very brutal prison system. It hasn't prevented all these killings.

quizqueen Wed 24-Jun-20 01:18:21

maddyone, we have the death penalty here already; it's called abortion. Apparently though, it's okay to kill unborn children, but not dangerous criminals!

BlueBelle Wed 24-Jun-20 06:04:06

Oh Quizqueen stop! that’s a whole different subject

maddyone I totally agree with your post I abhor the death sentence it’s barbaric and I m afraid that America is a barbaric country in their crime and punishments
I hate the liberal gun laws over there I think that is a huge problem for that country I agree elothan
I still haven’t read anything about the subject of this thread

mumofmadboys Wed 24-Jun-20 06:27:45

I also agree with your post Maddyone

Furret Wed 24-Jun-20 07:03:18

The death penalty and abortion are two entirely different issues, except to the ranting right.

But this thread is about shooting and guns in the USA. If a gunman walking into a primary school at Sandy Hook and killing 20 tiny, innocent children and 6 teachers who tried to protect them didn’t bring about a change nothing will. Even the president at the time, Obama, couldn’t get reform because the US is run and controlled by powerful lobbies who have their own agenda.

After the horrific shooting at Dunblane at least our gun laws were tightened despite the initial fury of some gun clubs and individuals.

PinkCakes Wed 24-Jun-20 18:40:24

JenniferEccles It was a spate of shootings, not one occurrence. Some were drug/gang-related, I believe. The gun laws in America are insane.

Davidhs Wed 24-Jun-20 21:42:49

The Chicago shootings were a result of a new lack of law enforcement policy by the city authorities that the gangs took advantage of. The police have an epidemic of “blue flu” - not turning up for duty due to illness, along with calls to defund the police. Morale is rock bottom and after last weekend the slogan “black lives don’t matter” was coined, when most of the victims shot were innocent bystanders.

Is this a new policy to stay out of black areas and let the community sort its own problems out.

Doodledog Wed 24-Jun-20 22:49:12

What do people think of this ? You either agree with the death penalty or not----but the officer shot the black man, so what's it to be ? Do black or white lives matter ? The blacks want justice, so all that remains is to see if this justice includes the death penalty ? Interesting from every angle.

I'm not sure what the colour of the victim has to do with any of this. Can you explain, please?

I am not in favour of the death penalty, but regardless of that, I don't think that justice has anything to do with colour. A man shot another man, and should face the full weight of the law, whether the victim or the perpetrator is black or white.

If you are asking if my disapproval of the death penalty outweighs my disapproval of murder, then that still has nothing whatever to do with colour, and I would still be confused about why colour was brought into it in the first place. The answer would probably be that it does, but that the perpetrator should be treated in the same way, whatever the colour of his skin.