Gransnet forums

News & politics

Infected, leaderless. How Boris Johnson’s brush with death revealed a lethal amateurism at the heart of government

(91 Posts)
GGumteenth Fri 26-Jun-20 23:06:55

With time to look back and see things in order this "audio Essay" puts events in sequence with a look behind the scenes and a knowledge of government we are unlikely to be privy to. I recommend listening.

members.tortoisemedia.com/2020/06/16/sick-man/content.html??ncid=newsltukhpmgpols

MaizieD Mon 29-Jun-20 13:22:55

Our lemon's in fine carping form this morning. grin

moggie57 Mon 29-Jun-20 13:09:32

we didnt have much choice in the vote .there were not many candidates and it was all sealed before we voted anyway by the donations from other tory members .i deft didnt vote for him.

FarNorth Mon 29-Jun-20 13:04:10

independence in internal affairs.
Seriously? hmm

trisher Mon 29-Jun-20 11:51:57

I think it's supposed to be Artificial Intelligence FarNorth but quite how aliens and Prometheus tie in is anyone's guess. It does give you a terrifying picture of how his mind works (or doesn't)

GGumteenth Mon 29-Jun-20 11:49:12

GGumteenth, what UK federation of states/countries?

The UK is, to all intents and purposes a federal state. How else would you describe it?

Federation: a group of states with a central government but independence in internal affairs.

FarNorth Mon 29-Jun-20 11:45:44

Thanks trisher gringringrin
Good old BoJo the Clown.

(If anyone can explain what he was actually on about, before being cruelly ridiculed in that clip, I'd be interested to know.)

FarNorth Mon 29-Jun-20 11:40:30

GGumteenth, what UK federation of states/countries?

trisher Mon 29-Jun-20 11:16:49

For anyone who needs some light relief Michael Spicer and Boris at the UN. But don't watch if you think our standing at the UN is important because it can only sink lower after this!
www.comedy.co.uk/online/videos/18611/the_room_next_door_boris_johnson_at_the_un/

GGumteenth Mon 29-Jun-20 11:12:56

I still think the UK federation of states/countries will not work until England has a parliament and our second house if the UK one.

GGumteenth Mon 29-Jun-20 11:11:33

MaizieD ?

Granny23 Mon 29-Jun-20 11:06:27

lemongrove

Quite a lot of proud Scots don’t like the SNP much.

Yes but!! Even more do like the SNP, the First Minister and the Scottish Government. The combination of the Brexit debacle (62% of voters in Scotland voted remain) and the shambolic response to the Pandemic may well prove to be the straws that broke the camels back. All but one of this years opinion polls show around 54% of voters supporting Independence.

Jabberwok Mon 29-Jun-20 10:42:54

Lemon ???!

lemongrove Mon 29-Jun-20 10:35:02

MaizieD

@Lucca

I think you just have to ignore the comments of the terminally indoctrinated...

This is often what I think too.?

Callistemon Mon 29-Jun-20 10:21:25

Granny23 thank you.

MaizieD Mon 29-Jun-20 10:00:44

@Lucca

I think you just have to ignore the comments of the terminally indoctrinated...

Granny23 Mon 29-Jun-20 09:09:11

^"Wish they'd stop reporting "UK" death numbers and, instead, report England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland numbers. This will give a clearer picture of what is happening in the "UK" and exactly how each Government within each of the 4 Nations is managing this crisis.
Westminster hate this information being shared:
Daily deaths reported 26th June:
UK: 186 (149 on 25th)
England: 183 (147 on 25th)
Scotland: 0 (2 on 25th)
Wales: 2 (0 on 25th)
Northern Ireland: 1 (0 on 25th)
So England has 98.4% of the "UK deaths" (98.7% on 25th)*

Perhaps the figures above show why many people in the 3 smaller Nations of the UK feel anger, if not hatred towards the UK Government and its leaders. Especially now when some are recommending that English residents should holiday in Wales or Scotland (which still have strong restrictions on travel) as the 'R' number is lower and the tourists will be safer there!!

It has become really confusing when the UK media report changes to the rules, which apply only to England, as if they were UK wide. Which encourages people in the smaller Nations to ignore/breach the local guidelines and justify their actions because 'Boris said so'

Lucca Mon 29-Jun-20 08:19:52

“ Any member of the Labour party would be a disaster as leader of this country”
Wow - sweeping statement of the century.

Calendargirl Mon 29-Jun-20 07:39:50

No, no e Mail Callistemon.

And I did not expect to be told who sent it MaizieD.

No matter, I broke no rules and my post was justified.

If it doesn’t suit others, tough!

☹️

growstuff Sun 28-Jun-20 23:39:27

lemongrove

Quite a lot of proud Scots don’t like the SNP much.

I know. My point was that paddyanne isn't a Labour Party supporter and I'm sure she isn't "not proud of achievements", which is what the poster implied.

MaizieD Sun 28-Jun-20 20:36:14

They never tell you who reported your post, Cg. Just the reason why they've removed it.

Callistemon Sun 28-Jun-20 20:02:15

You should have been told in an email, Calendargirl
As far as I can remember, the post was not a personal attack on another poster ut on the post itself so wasn't against the rules.
However, it is the weekend!

Peardrop50 Sun 28-Jun-20 19:27:59

An interesting essay, some fact and some speculation from the point of view of one man. As are the responses.
My own feeling is that Boris is a good leader with a positive outlook much needed at this time. I like his vision for our union and am saddened that the country has been weakened by the pandemic. My hope is that Boris recovers to his former fitness very soon to lead us through this turbulence and through Brexit. He does have some strong and competent members in his cabinet who will grow in to their roles having faced down this crisis. Early days and hopefully some of the old guard will in time be brought back to the fold
In regard to PaddyAnne, she has shown herself to be a passionate woman with a great love of her family and her country but equally capable of extreme hatred which latter can't be a good thing.

Calendargirl Sun 28-Jun-20 18:12:29

No they didn’t MaizieD, but I can imagine who it was who complained about me.

GGumteenth Sun 28-Jun-20 18:09:49

They aren't at the moment Maizie. As far as I can see, if someone complains, they delete. No explanation and no reading round to see what it relates to.

MaizieD Sun 28-Jun-20 18:05:03

Didn't Gnet contact you and tell you why, Calendargirl? They do usually.