Gransnet forums

News & politics

Infected, leaderless. How Boris Johnson’s brush with death revealed a lethal amateurism at the heart of government

(90 Posts)
GGumteenth Fri 26-Jun-20 23:06:55

With time to look back and see things in order this "audio Essay" puts events in sequence with a look behind the scenes and a knowledge of government we are unlikely to be privy to. I recommend listening.

members.tortoisemedia.com/2020/06/16/sick-man/content.html??ncid=newsltukhpmgpols

paddyanne Fri 26-Jun-20 23:42:08

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

pinkquartz Fri 26-Jun-20 23:47:02

paddyanne

is sitting on the fence again grin

GGumteenth Fri 26-Jun-20 23:53:31

You didn't bother to listen to it though, did you paddyanne so you actually have no idea what the thread is about. Why try wrecking it without actually finding out?

Chewbacca Sat 27-Jun-20 00:00:05

paddyann doesn't have to read it; just mentioning anything to do Boris Johnson or Westminster is like pulling the pin out of a hand grenade and waiting for the BOOM!

GGumteenth Sat 27-Jun-20 00:02:23

It's audio Chewbacca. Do listen or I may as well ask for this thread to be deleted as it will become just another iteration of the same old arguments.

Chewbacca Sat 27-Jun-20 00:20:42

I've listened to the first 15 minutes of it, up until where BJ is happily claiming to have shaken hands with hospitalised COVID victims in early March, Ggum but it's a bit late for me to listen to any more tonight. Been a long day at work and I'm done in for today.

paddyanne Sat 27-Jun-20 00:51:05

Right on the nose there ,why change tack when the eegit is still the same lying, incompetent waste of space .I couldn't understand why ANYONE would vote for him then and I dont know why anyone would support him now .Saor Alba

eazybee Sat 27-Jun-20 07:08:58

What a truly unpleasant person you are, Paddyanne.
I haven't forgotten the vile post you made when the Prime Minister was in hospital fighting for his life.

The comment: I couldn't understand why ANYONE would vote for him then and I dont know why anyone would support him now says more about you than him.

Calendargirl Sat 27-Jun-20 07:18:06

and I wish him nothing but ill

I would be ashamed to put my username to such a nasty comment, no matter who it related to.

Calendargirl Sat 27-Jun-20 07:19:29

that should probably have been ‘to whom’.

Oldwoman70 Sat 27-Jun-20 07:57:39

paddyanne are you suggesting that all the doctors and nursing staff at the hospital are lying - your antipathy towards Johnson and the Tory party is well known but really you should think through your comments.

Davidhs Sat 27-Jun-20 08:15:53

That was a bit strong Paddyanne but pretty close to the truth, he was elected by enthusiastic fools who thought Brexit was going to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Now after a few months he has proved himself very ineffective and needs others to make policy. I’m sure he will bumble on until he “gets Brexit done” after that I would hope he would stand aside fairly quickly for someone competent.

MaizieD Sat 27-Jun-20 08:29:47

Absolutely agree with the first part of your post, David.

I'll try and listen to the 'essay' today, GGumpteenth.

I'd have welcomed a transcript, though. I don't really retain much from an audio (or a video)

Jabberwok Sat 27-Jun-20 09:34:53

Calendargirl 😁😁!
N. Sturgeon and I. Blackford are certainly not my favorite people especially the latter! but I would hate to think if either of these two politicians had been struck down as Boris clearly was, that I would be making such appalling comments and wishing them so much ill will to the point death as you do Paddyann. Your comments are nothing short of shocking whoever they're aimed at, which sadly says a lot about you, none of it good!

Smileless2012 Sat 27-Jun-20 09:45:42

So the medical staff who looked after BJ are lying are they paddyanne? He wasn't really in the ICU and wasn't really being nursed 24/7 and given oxygen!!!!!

rafichagran Sat 27-Jun-20 09:52:44

Paddyanne, that comment was nasty, vile and hate filled. It's also hysterical.
I did not vote for the Tories, I am not a Brexiteer, and do not particularly like Johnson, but I would never post the remarks you made.
Wishing someone Ill says alot about you, and it is not pleasant just hateful.

MaizieD Sat 27-Jun-20 10:00:26

So the medical staff who looked after BJ are lying are they paddyanne?

I don't think the medical staff have said anything at all about Johnson's illness. It would have been highly unprofessional if they had because they would have breached patient confidentiality.Which is extremely serious.

So Paddy-Anne is free to speculate as she likes. Lots of people share her views, they're just not in 'Boris bubbles'.

And it would be good if people refrained from making personal attacks on her. Perhaps they've no idea how spiteful and petty it looks.

rafichagran Sat 27-Jun-20 10:07:00

I am not in a Boris bubble, I did not vote for him, people have made comments on what she has said, you can disagree with someone without wishing people ill. I really cannot understand anyone doing that.

Oldwoman70 Sat 27-Jun-20 10:10:19

If Johnson's illness was just his "hiding away" don't you think that would have been "leaked" by someone.

It seems to be OK for some to post "spiteful and petty" comments but not others

Jabberwok Sat 27-Jun-20 10:14:47

The only comments that are spiteful and petty are those expressed by Paddyann! Boris was clearly very ill, and these particular nurses did attend to him in ICU, that is a fact that we do know, unless of course they were lying, also the Dr's which seems unlikely!

GGumteenth Sat 27-Jun-20 10:15:35

I am sorry no one has actually listened to it. It's easier for some than reading Maizie smile and we don't do it often.

If you all do manage it you will hear more than just how this government has been working but the worrying way we are set up to run government whichever party it is.

It talks about the attitudes and I related them to the way many of these "superior" middle-aged men have grown up. Believing ever-one likes a trier (I'd prefer success at this moment) and how they uphold amateurism and talk down the professional - although scientists seem to have weathered that storm this time because we see how essential they are.

Never mind. I found it interesting and thought I would share.

Jabberwok Sat 27-Jun-20 10:16:32

Hiding away in St Thomas's hospital for two weeks?!! confused

GagaJo Sat 27-Jun-20 10:19:43

He's a waste of space. He can't do the job without Cummings and that idiots stretching of the rules has led to a lot of safety breaches by the public who have followed his lead.

I didn't like Johnson to start with but whereas in the past, I would at least listen to what he said, now I realise there is no point. He's just a puppet.

I don't wish him ill. And I don't even think he's that much worse than a lot of the rest of them. They're a popularist government with few really experienced people up to the job. This virus situation would try the best of politicians, but it's totally outside the current govs skill set. Unfortunately, this has led to thousands of unnecessary deaths.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 27-Jun-20 11:45:24

Well I agree to a point with Paddyanne, I don't think he was on deaths door by any means. He was on oxygen and they put him in ICU as a precaution I think, in case he did get worse. He wasn't put into an induced coma, then put on oxygen and in ICU. After he was discharged he was seen out running two weeks after. Now anyone who has had the virus will tell you that after two week of recovering you can barely lift your bum off the sofa let alone go out running. If he was so ill why didn't someone else take over the running of the country,?

I expect the usual verbal abuse now from the Boris Fan Club.