Gransnet forums

News & politics

Top civil servant, Sir Mark Sedwell, is to be dismissed tomorrow.

(146 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 28-Jun-20 12:05:01

Seems Dominic Cummings is starting the changes he said were coming. Mark Sedwell was in charge of FOUR main departments. Surely too much for one man to oversee anyway.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jul-20 20:09:10

It was a joke!
But I can't remember why. confused

gullible voters
Ooh!! Not nice!
As long as we have first past the post and people vote according to their beliefs and convictions, we're stuck with it.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jul-20 20:11:06

innumerate Arts graduates
hmm

I used to vote Lib Dem but they are spent.

Ramblingrose22 Fri 03-Jul-20 21:30:22

Urmstongran - your latest post seems to be about why Sir Mark Sedwill should not have stayed in his post rather than what I was querying, which was specific ways to reform the civil service so I must assume that taking the bait refers to a different post to mine - which is absolutely fine.

I had no idea Sir MS was a Remainer. Did the Daily Mail say so? I can't get excited about whether he remained in his post or not. I know very little about him.

MaizieD Sat 04-Jul-20 00:06:40

I had no idea Sir MS was a Remainer

it doesn't matter what his stance is. Civil servants have to be professionally neutral. Their job is to implement the policies of the government, whatever their political views might be. They also look into the pros and cons of proposed policies to advise on whether or not it is achievable, what its effects might be and the best way to carry it out.

All this rubbish about obstreperous civil servants is part of the whipping up of brexiters into a permanent state of hate for anyone who might not have drunk the Kool Aid.

I suggest that you read the article about the monstering of George Soros, that I posted on another thread, to see just how it is done.

Ramblingrose22 Sat 04-Jul-20 12:42:39

MaizieD - I think we're both in agreement here.

Everyone expected this Government to get rid of Sir Mark Sedwill before too long and and put their own person in his place and - to be clear - that doesn't mean I agree with it.

I admire Sir Philip Rutnam for taking his employer to an Employment Tribunal (ET) over bullying and I am looking forward to the Sajid Javid's Special Adviser ET case being heard as Cummings was the one who involved.

I was a civil servant for over 30 years so I too get tired of hearing that they have their own political agenda and the anecdotal claims on here that many are raving Trotskyists bent on undermining every Government of the day. They'd have to be in very senior roles to attempt it and any Special Advisers worth their salt would spot ot a mile off.

Sir Mark Sedwill is being used as the "fall guy" because the Brexit deal was delayed under Theresa May. Brexiteers seem to believe that Brexit could still be blocked if he stays in his role.

I also know about the monstering of George Soros, much of which is fuelled by antisemitism.

It was telling to see that those who asserted this the most strongly on here were subsequently unable to specify what these reforms should be when I challenged them.

That must be because they know so little about the civil service in the first place. You can't be specific that X or Y should be reformed when you don't know what X or Y are!

Callistemon Sat 04-Jul-20 13:08:43

Civil servants provide all the relevant information, research and expertise required and can advise, but yes, they are there to carry out the wishes of the government of the day, whichever party.

They are being increasingly overridden and sidelined by those with their own agenda.

MaizieD Sat 04-Jul-20 13:49:28

I also know about the monstering of George Soros, much of which is fuelled by antisemitism.

The really extraordinary thing that I discovered when I read the article, is that the 'monstering' was orchestrated by two Jews. shock Who appear to be completely unaware that there is anything wrong about it!

Would you agree, Ramblingrose, that the same sort of process seems to have been operated in respect of the EU and civil service (and the judiciary)?

Ramblingrose22 Sat 04-Jul-20 19:26:17

I expect that all sorts of lies have been peddled about the EU negotiators under Theresa May, the "benefits" of Brexit according to the Brexiteers and the Leave EU campaign, the civil service more widely as well as the judiciary.

I can't say for sure as I don't read the tabloid newspapers or social media when looking for news and commentary on politics.

It's a shame that so many people believe what the tabloids and social media say. They will have to learn the hard way when we get a No Deal Brexit and many more jobs are lost and we are expected to eat chlorinated chicken.

varian Mon 06-Jul-20 20:03:05

There are no "benefits" of brexit.

It was a lie, but only one lie amongst so many by the Vote Leave campaign and the Vote Leave government.

When this country goes down the pan, it will be blamed on the pandemic. How convenient.

MaizieD Thu 09-Jul-20 11:20:34

Mark Sedwill is to be paid a just under £250.000 'compensation' package when he leaves. This is, according to Ed Balls (who has spent some time in government so should know) is absolutely unprecedented for a civil servant.
Balls speculates on it being some sort of legal payoff'

Ed can be seen interviewed by Peston on the link below:

twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1280975439998173185

The suspicious among us might well be thinking along the lines of 'hush money' hmm

Callistemon Thu 09-Jul-20 15:18:49

I'm not sure, MaizieD

The package is nowhere near what he would have earned had he stayed in the job and only just over one year's salary (say it quickly!). Presumably it is in lieu of pension contributions too.

It does seem quite high but how long has he been a civil servant? He's had a long and distinguished career until his clash with Cummings.

lemongrove Thu 09-Jul-20 15:21:32

Presumably he has to be paid well as he is leaving before the end of his contract ( so must be honoured.)

MaizieD Thu 09-Jul-20 18:03:04

I think that Ed Balls would know what he is talking about. If he thinks it's extremely 'unusual' I'm prepared to believe him.

And how many jobs are there where you get a year's pay if you leave earlier than you had planned?

I actually hope that you're correct, Callistomen; that it isn't hush money and that he spills the beans with a vengeance once he's left his current post.

Callistemon Thu 09-Jul-20 18:39:20

I thought that this government had put a cap of £95,000 on pay-offs last year.
However, I knew of higher ones years ago.

Callistemon Thu 09-Jul-20 18:40:15

He'll need to earn money from some source as he's only 55.

varian Thu 09-Jul-20 19:10:01

He will have a handsome inflation-proofed civil service pension. In the meantime £250k would last most of us quite a few years. Having said that I would be surprised if he doesn't pick up some lucrative directorships, or perhaps a book deal.

MaizieD Thu 09-Jul-20 19:16:47

He's already got another job. I was watching his evidence to a Select Committee yesterday and he told them about it. I'm afraid I can't remember what it is, though.

welbeck Fri 10-Jul-20 00:04:10

anyone else notice his similarity, appearance wise, to sir humphrey appleby from yes minister.
when i first saw a small picture of him i actually thought it was of sir humphrey, illustrating a stock character representing the the civil service.
maybe he grew up watching it, it was excellent, and was subliminally influenced.
it's now on radio 4 extra. still spot on.

suziewoozie Fri 10-Jul-20 00:21:24

I think the temporary job he’s got is something to do with G7. I also read that he’s been promised backing for the big NATO job coming up in a year or two. He’s extracted quite a price in return for his silence - there’s another word that could be used but better not?

MaizieD Fri 10-Jul-20 00:25:05

He's only 55, welbeck, maybe a little young to have grown up watching Yes Minister? 1980s, he'd have been a teenager. hmm