Gransnet forums

News & politics

Theresa May

(38 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 30-Jun-20 13:33:20

Totally frivolous post.

Just watching lunchtime news, TM featured, speaking about a new security adviser.

She looked so good IMHO.

Hair, jacket, jewellery, she looked very smart and attractive.

Didn’t take much notice of the speech!

?

Trisha57 Tue 30-Jun-20 19:05:37

growstuff, those water cannons would have come in handy on the beaches in Bournemouth, Brighton and elsewhere last week!!!

varian Tue 30-Jun-20 18:57:39

TM did many things which we can, and I did criticise, like these "go ho,me" vans.

I don't think she was a good Home Secretary, but she now seems a lot better than Pritti Patel.

I don't think she was a good PM, but she was miles better than Boris Johnson.

MaizieD Tue 30-Jun-20 18:09:46

It certainly doesn't, lemon. A 'thrall' was virtually a slave.

Thrall is from the Old Norse þræll, meaning a person who is in bondage or serfdom.

lemongrove Tue 30-Jun-20 17:58:20

In thrall doesn’t mean enthralled Varian.

varian Tue 30-Jun-20 17:42:35

I do not think she was "enthralled" by the ERG. She was intimidated by them, terrifies of the hold that they have on the Conservative Party, which was why she always looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

MaizieD Tue 30-Jun-20 17:40:42

varian

She was a decent person in the wrong party.

Good heavens, varian! Have you forgotten the 'Go Home' vans?

MaizieD Tue 30-Jun-20 17:39:18

She was fair and tried to see everyone's point of view

I don't think so, Jane10.

Neither, I think, would my fellow 16+ million Citizens of Nowhere.

She was held in thrall by the ERG and the DUP.

No. Fun speech today, but hopeless PM.

varian Tue 30-Jun-20 17:33:11

She was a decent person in the wrong party.

Davidhs Tue 30-Jun-20 17:31:43

I quite admired TM for the way she took on the poisoned chalice when Cameron threw the towel in, her fate was sealed when she called an election and reduced her majority.
The terms that parliament wanted never were going to be accepted by the EU, Johnson agreed a fudge thinking he could pull a fast one - we will see they haven’t given a millimeter yet.

growstuff Tue 30-Jun-20 17:21:33

She's not very tolerant of idiots, as she showed when she mocked Johnson over his water cannons.

lemongrove Tue 30-Jun-20 17:18:40

Jabberwok ?Yes, I noticed that.

lemongrove Tue 30-Jun-20 17:17:55

Gajahgran

Of course TM would be critical about Sedwell's departure. He was her advisor. She wanted Brexit in name only and he aided and abetted her. She was not popular and a weak PM.

Sadly, that’s all true, and I had high hopes of her at the time.
She made a complete mess of the GE as well!

She has always looked slim and smart, and the pinky colour she wore today suited her.Spoilt by her disapproving expression.

Jabberwok Tue 30-Jun-20 17:11:52

What a difference a year can make!! Is this really the same TM that people on these forums were SO disparaging and downright cruel about such a short time ago. The dreadful names, Maybot, the least offensive springs to mind, and comments which were just horrible are now so easily forgotten! I can remember trying to defend her position and getting sneered and jeered at for my efforts which were naturally a lost cause! How quickly hypocritical coats are turned!

growstuff Tue 30-Jun-20 17:08:34

FarNorth

I think TM would be a lot better as PM just now than Johnson is being.
She was feeble in power but BJ is much worse in every way.

I never wanted her to resign - not because I was a great fan, but because the alternative was worse - and so it has proved to be.

Jane10 Tue 30-Jun-20 16:56:18

She was fair and tried to see everyone's point of view. Her collaborative approach might work well right now.

FarNorth Tue 30-Jun-20 16:32:18

I think TM would be a lot better as PM just now than Johnson is being.
She was feeble in power but BJ is much worse in every way.

trisher Tue 30-Jun-20 16:27:26

Interesting that on facebook Labour have shared her speech. Who needs an opposition when the Tories are at each other's throats? It is an interesting question though. Can you be the National Security Adviser if you know nothing about National Security? Only in Cumming/Johnson land!
She does look better than she did when PM.

growstuff Tue 30-Jun-20 16:23:13

She wasn't impressed by Gove's response:

twitter.com/i/status/1277940035921330176

growstuff Tue 30-Jun-20 16:20:45

May sounded pretty confident too!

twitter.com/i/status/1277932346797416448

I've ever heard her so angry.

Jane10 Tue 30-Jun-20 15:58:29

Ooh yes JenniferEccles!

JenniferEccles Tue 30-Jun-20 15:53:24

I bet she is enormously relieved not to still be PM in the current situation!

Puzzler61 Tue 30-Jun-20 15:12:32

But on a frivolous note Calendargirl Theresa looked well dressed and elegant from her hair down to her shoes probably but I didn’t actually see them - as she almost always does.
(There was the one time when she tried to dance which she didn’t do elegantly but we won’t mention that).

Today she had her “dander up” as they say.

Jane10 Tue 30-Jun-20 14:57:56

She wasn't useless. She was put in an impossible position. I'm glad that she's recovered from what must have been an exhausting time and hope she continues to give the government what for!

Tangerine Tue 30-Jun-20 14:56:44

I often wonder how Theresa May would have coped with the Covid-19 situation.

Would she have been worse or better than Boris Johnson?

Mamardoit Tue 30-Jun-20 14:52:00

She was a useless PM. She didn't have the respect of her own MPs and couldn't control them. I really don't care how well groomed she looks.