Gransnet forums

News & politics

Benefit sanctions in England are set to resume from tomorrow.

(10 Posts)
GGumteenth Tue 30-Jun-20 17:45:26

This has just been flagged up by 38 Degrees. There are a lot of Sources quoted:

The Guardian: Benefit sanctions to return in England as jobcenters reopen

BBC: Benefit sanctions to return as job centres reopen

Mirror: Woman on Universal Credit is sanctioned by DWP for missing appointment because mum died

The Guardian: DWP accused of offering disabled people 'take it or leave it' benefits

Disability News service: DWP sanctions system discriminated against disabled people for a decade, figures show

The Guardian: More than a million benefits sanctions imposed on disabled people since 2010

Parliament: Work and Pensions Committee: Benefit sanctions

DWP benefit sanctions to restart from Wednesday as Tories refuse to extend ban

The Guardian: Millions went hungry during first months of UK lockdown, figures show

BBC News: Coronavirus: Starmer warns of up to three million job losses

And this one goes to the petition not to bring them back

Dinahmo Wed 01-Jul-20 09:28:29

I signed the petition yesterday. The govt seems to be determined to reduce the numbers on benefits any way it can. Sanctions for being late for an interview seems to be as good a way as any from their point of view.

Given the paucity of public transport in the regions it is very harsh and unnecessary.

GagaJo Wed 01-Jul-20 09:30:40

Given their willingness to throw millions at their cronies, they've got to save money somewhere.

There's going to be a tsunami of unemployment following the virus. I guess denial of unemployment benefit is a good way to kill off more of the poor.

MaizieD Wed 01-Jul-20 09:43:07

I wonder how many people on benefits (or about to be on benefits) voted tory? I know the pandemic was beyond the tory's control, but their heartless treatment of benefit claimants isn't.

Conservative (i.e not tory) estimates of increased unemployment as a result of covid puts it at about 3.5 million people. Many people think this is an underestimate and that it could be as high as 6 million.

Johnson's pitiful £5 billion isn't going to make much of a dent in the jobless figures...

CassieJ Wed 01-Jul-20 10:06:59

I have just signed the petition. Employment is going to be massive, and the last thing people need are sanctions when the jobs just aren't available.

growstuff Wed 01-Jul-20 10:58:46

There's going to be a huge problem for people who don't have computer access, as libraries aren't fully open and aren't allowing access to computers. For some people in receipt of benefits, the library is the only computer access they have.

GGumteenth Wed 01-Jul-20 11:23:15

Other countries are moving to new job retention schemes. Let's hope we here the same from the Chancellor next week although I feel we are still lagging with anything helpful.

Even if that does happen there will still be a flood of unemployment and the already unemployed. It really doesn't bare thinking about but the government must.

growstuff Wed 01-Jul-20 13:24:38

The government's "New Deal" needs to include quality re-training schemes. The unemployed can't just be thrown on a scrap heap.

trisher Wed 01-Jul-20 13:31:20

I have signed. Thanks GGumteenth. As usual with this government it is pick on the weakest and most vulnerable.

ayse Wed 01-Jul-20 13:58:04

Signed. I think you have said it all but it’s no surprise as this government is morally corrupt. The New Deal is another way just to divert attention. What is the point of ‘massive’ infra-structure projects? Where are the skilled trades going to come from? Investment would be better spent in training trades properly, investing in greener ideas and projects to make the most of our ingenuity, cutting management and investing in staff etc. NOT SPENDING OUR MONEY ON STUFF THAT THE MAJORITY DO NOT NEED!

Apologies for shouting. It just makes me so cross!