Gransnet forums

News & politics

Epstein/Maxwell/Prin ce Andrew

(345 Posts)
MawB Thu 02-Jul-20 15:11:11

The FBI has arrested British socialite Ghislaine Maxwell, an ex-girlfriend of the disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein.
She was reportedly arrested in New Hampshire on charges related to Epstein and is due in federal court later.
She has apparently denied any involvement in or knowledge of Epstein's alleged sexual misconduct.
Epstein died in prison on 10 August as he awaited, without the chance of bail, his trial on sex trafficking charges.
He was arrested last year in New York following allegations that he was running a network of underage girls - some as young as 14 - for sex. His death was determined to be suicide.

Well, I wonder if this “plot is thickening” ?

EllanVannin Thu 02-Jul-20 19:30:08

Could have been suicide but on the other hand he could have been made to shut up. I've always been in two minds about his death.

Happygirl79 Thu 02-Jul-20 19:34:42

She may spill the beans in exchange for a lighter sentence
A lot of people will be shaking in their boots including Prince Andrew
Or she may commit a very convenient suicide?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 02-Jul-20 22:35:21

Charged with grooming young girls for Epstein and friends.

Plea bargain? Do they do that in USA?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 02-Jul-20 22:36:05

There some sick people in this world!

Chewbacca Thu 02-Jul-20 22:56:13

Plea bargain? Do they do that in USA

Yes, they do WWMK2; there are 3 types of plea bargaining in the USA.

In charge bargaining, the defendant agrees to plead guilty to reduced charges (e.g., aggravated assault rather than attempted murder).

Sentence bargaining involves assurances of lighter or alternative sentences in return for a defendant’s pleading guilty. One of the most visible forms of sentence bargaining occurs when defendants plead guilty to murder in order to avoid the death penalty. Sentence bargains also occur in less-serious cases, such as pleading guilty to a charge in exchange for a sentence of “time served,” which generally means that the defendant will be immediately released.

The third type of plea negotiation is count bargaining, in which defendants who face multiple charges may be allowed to plead guilty to fewer counts. The charges need not be identical: the prosecutor may drop any charge or charges in exchange for a guilty plea on the remaining charges. Because count bargaining applies only to defendants who face multiple charges, it is the least common form of bargaining.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 02-Jul-20 22:57:58

Oh I see, I was thinking of a lighter sentence if she spilled the beans.

Chewbacca Thu 02-Jul-20 23:13:40

I reckon she'll be prepared to drag anyone and everyone in if she thinks it will lighten her sentence. Wouldn't mind betting that there are a few other people who are feeling very nervous tonight.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 02-Jul-20 23:15:51

Popcorn anyone?

Calendargirl Fri 03-Jul-20 07:09:48

Just said on the breakfast news that Prince Andrew is ‘bewildered’ about claims he hasn’t co-operated with the FBI or whoever over all this.

Lovely word ‘bewildered’.

suziewoozie Fri 03-Jul-20 07:15:31

I doubt it takes much to bewilder this not very bright mummy’s boy does it?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Jul-20 07:17:06

? this is going to run and run isn’t it?

I bet they are frantically trying to put as many obstacles and lids on it as they can possibly think of.

Anyone seen the Windsor bod lately?

Willow500 Fri 03-Jul-20 07:18:26

Having watched the program on Netflix a few weeks ago we both felt Maxwell was far from innocent in the whole disturbing saga so not surprising she's finally been charged. Also wondered about the convenient 'suicide' too.

It remains to be seen whether Prince Andrew is made to testify - he can't possibly have been totally ignorant about what was going on even if he wasn't directly involved!

Riverwalk Fri 03-Jul-20 07:23:07

It's unfortunate for Andrew that these past few years he's emphasised that he was close friends with Maxwell rather than Epstein!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Jul-20 07:23:59

Directly involved as in, not having sex with young girls?

Or just happened to be staying in Epstein’s house with young girls in it?

Funny that!

Furret Fri 03-Jul-20 07:27:29

Two bags for me please WW

eazybee Fri 03-Jul-20 08:32:17

In the interests of accuracy:
'In June, the Duke's lawyers said he had offered to speak to the investigators "on at last three occasions this year", accusing them of "seeking publicity rather than accepting the assistance proffered". A source close to the Duke last night said: " the Duke's team remains bewildered given that we have twice communicated with the Department of Justice in the last month and to date, we have had no response."
Daily Telegraph 3.7.2020.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Jul-20 08:35:12

And further in the interest of accuracy

The FBI are denying that to be the case

sodapop Fri 03-Jul-20 08:46:21

I thought that as well Riverwalk No way to wriggle out of that.

Chewbacca Fri 03-Jul-20 09:20:59

So who to believe, the FBI or PA? The truth probably lies, as always, somewhere in the middle, but I can't see PA flying out to the USA anytime soon to settle it once and for all.

suziewoozie Fri 03-Jul-20 09:27:04

Believe Andrew? As if - the most he would have done is to offer to meet them at a PizzaExpress on the sixth Thursday of the month

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Jul-20 09:28:45

suzi?

It smacks of desperation to me

Grany Fri 03-Jul-20 09:33:56

revoltingsubject.com/2019/08/18/prince-andrew-scandal-should-be-the-end-the-monarchy/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Jul-20 09:37:45

Yes of course ( noise of penny dropping) the Queen would have been fully informed by security of his antics. She may not have said much (there there mummy’s boy) but she would have known.

She almost certainly would not have told Charles though. (The two don’t get on and the Queen is known to favour Andrew)

Willow500 Fri 03-Jul-20 09:38:48

Directly involved as in, not having sex with young girls? WW2 I was referring to being involved with procuring the girls not having underage sex with one (or more) I'm pretty sure he knowingly did that.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Jul-20 09:43:53

Willow500

^Directly involved as in, not having sex with young girls?^ WW2 I was referring to being involved with procuring the girls not having underage sex with one (or more) I'm pretty sure he knowingly did that.

Yes I see, well he may not have actually groomed but he sure as hell used.