Gransnet forums

News & politics

And yet we are in this together

(93 Posts)
annep1 Fri 03-Jul-20 16:20:38

Not expecting any support for thinking this is wrong. Just thought I'd mention it.

www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1304428/Queen-Elizabeth-II-pay-rise-prince-charles-annual-income-duchy-of-cornwall-royal-family

MissAdventure Fri 03-Jul-20 18:52:37

She should, but she won't.

PinkCakes Fri 03-Jul-20 18:52:39

“The whole country is very likely to be impacted financially by the coronavirus,” a Buckingham Palace spokesman said earlier this month.

“The Royal Household is no exception.”

What bollocks.

Ilovecheese Fri 03-Jul-20 19:06:15

But it doesn't have to be either the royal family or a president. Our royal family could be like some of the other European countries, they could keep the titles but have a more ordinary job and standard of living.

annep1 Fri 03-Jul-20 19:15:23

I am a royalist and no way would I like to see them replaced by a Presidential style Head of State.
That may be so GG13 but do you support the huge income and pay rise? That was the point of my thread?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 03-Jul-20 19:21:34

annep1

^I am a royalist and no way would I like to see them replaced by a Presidential style Head of State.^
That may be so GG13 but do you support the huge income and pay rise? That was the point of my thread?

They have multiple houses hundreds of employees and a myriad of households expenses. I would not want them to be put in a position whereby they had to make any members of staff redundant.

The article did go on to say that other members of the Royal Family could be facing a decrease in their incomes.

Grany Fri 03-Jul-20 20:05:32

its never right that this one family gets a huge amount from sovereign grant plus millions from two duchies this income will only increase.

Some people like the Queen though I am against monarchy in principle. People would not like C not enough support and Andrew well enough said.

Agree with suziewoozie and annepl

members.tortoisemedia.com/2020/06/29/royal-money-sovereign-wealth-fund-queen-and-charles/content.html?sig=niMFduIQ6TqfrttZk6X-N_d2LT1IQxVxTo72yLNDEKw&utm_source=Outreach&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=royal-flush&utm_term=internal&utm_content=royal-flush

GGumteenth Fri 03-Jul-20 20:52:46

PinkCakes

“The whole country is very likely to be impacted financially by the coronavirus,” a Buckingham Palace spokesman said earlier this month.

“The Royal Household is no exception.”

What bollocks.

Don't we get some well thought-out, beautifully written posts with a reference to the facts which support them - not.

annep1 Fri 03-Jul-20 21:43:42

I think Pinkcakes put it well in a nutshell.

Alexa Fri 03-Jul-20 22:37:27

The Queen is not frugal! She owns several racehorses and I think studs too.

annep1 Fri 03-Jul-20 23:47:51

Interesting link Grany
Very informative.

One fact..the RF will make a fortune from windfarms because the Crown Estate owns the seabeds. It almost makes me laugh.

Grany Sat 04-Jul-20 11:15:15

The RF are corrupt, secretive, above the law, lobby for laws that affect their private interests. They spend public money like water PC uses transport for own private needs as well as public, nothing said if polititions did this there would rightly be an out cry. How are RF allowed to get away with all of this? Why do we have a RF? They cost the earth

Oopsminty Sat 04-Jul-20 11:20:30

Looks like they cost individuals a couple of pounds a year

Even if it was a tenner I'd not be fussed

I'm not a staunch royalist at all and I'm not keen on a few of them but they are hardly causing people to go without

So they can stay as far as I'm concerned

news.sky.com/story/the-royal-accounts-this-is-why-the-monarchy-cost-41-more-last-year-11748503#:~:text=The%20monarchy%20cost%20British%20taxpayers,on%20the%20previous%20financial%20year.

Grany Sat 04-Jul-20 11:26:50

The true cost of the RF explained.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=dmlwynkb3ec&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1ABqwuiFP_M-0yxrkNzZr2l1EE2NriF95WEBzA5TCjhlT7-zvJd8kid6Q

There is a poverty pandemic in U.K. The Queen puts millions away in off shore tax havens.

MissAdventure Sat 04-Jul-20 11:28:23

I don't want to pay anything towards their keep. Not even a penny a week.

annep1 Sat 04-Jul-20 11:38:04

Oopsminty
I'm not a staunch royalist at all and I'm not keen on a few of them but they are hardly causing people to go without

So you think this level of income and rise is all right while the country is struggling?

annep1 Sat 04-Jul-20 11:40:15

My post isn't about having a monarchy. Everyone knows my views.

Grany Sat 04-Jul-20 11:41:16

Nor do I either MissAdventure

Oopsminty Sat 04-Jul-20 11:45:54

annep1

My post isn't about having a monarchy. Everyone knows my views.

I have no idea what your views are!

Grany Sat 04-Jul-20 11:54:50

The views are Isn't it wrong that RF has 3% increase, your opinion please, they never feel the pinch, when others have not been lucky, with being furloughed and having to endure Austerity?

Barmeyoldbat Sat 04-Jul-20 12:00:30

I object strongly to the pay rise when people are losing their jobs and we have food banks and homeless people BUT I wouldn't want to see the RF replaced with something like the USA and Trump. Imagine President Boris, now that would be a hard stone to swallow!

Grany Sat 04-Jul-20 12:04:12

Or we could have someone like Head of State of Ireland well respected and working for Ireland's interests to the rest of the world.

Anniebach Sat 04-Jul-20 12:05:05

Equality, never has been , never will be. Where is equality when some own their home and a holiday home whilst some
live in council property.

A GP can afford private education for their children, a carpenter can’t.

quizqueen Sat 04-Jul-20 12:11:47

No, she shouldn't have a pay rise and needs to make cuts like the rest of us have to. I've decided to fully retire now, approaching 68 and with increasing ill health, so couldn't cope any longer with a physically demanding p/t job. I'll have to survive on state pension ( losing about £250 a month from income ) and raiding savings, but that's my choice.

The Queen doesn't have Andrew or M and H to support any longer so she actually needs less funding.

annep1 Sat 04-Jul-20 12:26:25

Oopsminty sorry I have posted my views a few times and had quite a lot of people disagreeing. I'm not in favour of the monarchy.

But even if one likes having a RF why do we have to let them get so disgustingly rich? Why?
It's pure greed.

Grany I do agree with you.

annep1 Sat 04-Jul-20 14:37:03

There will never be true equality Anniebach. I agree.

We could debate having a RF till the cows come home. smile
But my post is asking what you think of my link.

So far the majority agree it is wrong.