Gransnet forums

News & politics

And yet we are in this together

(93 Posts)
annep1 Fri 03-Jul-20 16:20:38

Not expecting any support for thinking this is wrong. Just thought I'd mention it.

www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1304428/Queen-Elizabeth-II-pay-rise-prince-charles-annual-income-duchy-of-cornwall-royal-family

Anniebach Thu 23-Jul-20 22:40:54

Grany* are sure Balmoral is 78 miles square, that’s rather a lot
of bedrooms ,

maddyone Fri 24-Jul-20 00:10:00

I don’t agree with this increase when others are not getting an increase in income. I think the money should have been used to put towards increases in pay for front line medical staff.

maddyone Fri 24-Jul-20 00:10:27

The royals have enough, in my opinion.

Grany Fri 24-Jul-20 00:55:28

Yes there would be a lot of bedrooms, but wouldn't think the castle is quite 78 miles square, the land around it is.

Grany Fri 24-Jul-20 00:59:10

Yes maddyone The royals have more than enough.

Callistemon Fri 24-Jul-20 10:37:08

Anniebach

Grany* are sure Balmoral is 78 miles square, that’s rather a lot
of bedrooms ,

grin Anniebach
But needed if one snores.

There are 50 full time and about 100 part-time employees at Balmoral; what would they do for work if it were to be confiscated by the Republicans?

There is a distillery on the estate too.

Of course, a President would use it as his or her dacha. Silly me.

Anniebach Fri 24-Jul-20 10:47:47

I really don’t understand the anger over the fact the Queen
owns two properties, both she inherited.

As for an elected president, no thank you, thinking of the PM’s
and party leaders over the years . And there is the commonwealth, is this of no importance ?

maddyone Fri 24-Jul-20 11:02:10

I’m not worried about how many properties the Queen owns. I’ve often said I have a foot in both camps re the royals. I recognise the fact that we have to have a Head of State, and it’s more than possible that an elected or proposed by government Head of State would cost us huge amounts of money, and the possibility is there for corruption. However having looked at the links provided, it seems clear that the amount of public money going in increasing amounts to the Queen is totally unjustified, especially during a long period of austerity over some ten years.
The royal family is rich beyond imaginings with their private wealth. I realise that as the Queen is our Head of State she should receive an allowance as she needs to pay wages, maintain buildings etc. The steady increases are absolutely not justified at all.

MaizieD Fri 24-Jul-20 11:05:23

Doesn't the Queen own three properties, Ab? What about Osborne House on the Isle of Wight?

What intrigues me is what are the republicans going to do with Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle when they've kicked out the monarchy?

Turn them into blocks of flats? Share out their contents among the populace? Or expect the nation to maintain them as museums?

And will they confiscate Sandringham, Balmoral and Osborne House as well?

As for an elected president, no thank you, thinking of the PM’s and party leaders over the years

Can't say I disagree with you there, either grin

MaizieD Fri 24-Jul-20 11:10:56

^ However having looked at the links provided, it seems clear that the amount of public money going in increasing amounts to the Queen is totally unjustified, especially during a long period of austerity over some ten years.^

The Crown Estates were given to the nation by George III in return for a guaranteed income from them to maintain the dignity of the monarchy. So, it's 'public money' of a sort but not coming out of our pockets.

Austerity is a completely different matter. It was completely unnecessary; an ideological choice, not a rational one, nor an economic necessity.

Anniebach Fri 24-Jul-20 11:15:56

Maizie Osbourne House was given to English Heritage

maddyone Fri 24-Jul-20 11:25:21

That’s why I’ve got a foot in both camps Maizie. It’s difficult to come down firmly on one side or the other. I think the Queen has done her duty and served us well, and I already mentioned the possible difficulties with an elected or proposed Head of State. However I do think these large rises in income to the Queen over the last years are unjustified. The royals are rich enough already in their own right, but I realise they should receive some public funding. I just happen to think that at the moment, it’s too much.

Desdemona Fri 24-Jul-20 11:33:29

I have no time for the outdated Monarchy, I think it should end when The Queen dies and the money used for something of real benefit.

MaizieD Fri 24-Jul-20 11:34:50

Thanks, Ab. Not having a great deal of interest in the doings of the RF I wasn't aware of that.

MaizieD Fri 24-Jul-20 11:46:03

The royals are rich enough already in their own right,

There are a great many extremely rich people in the UK, many of them much richer than the Queen. Many of them have inherited wealth passed down the centuries. I'd be happier if the whole question of excessive wealth and land ownership were addressed rather than just a focus on the monarchy...

Wasn't it something like £9billion of tax evaded when the current Duke of Westminster inherited? hmm

eazybee Fri 24-Jul-20 11:46:59

I believe the money goes to the maintenance of the estates, the people who live and work on them, and staff wages; it isn't more spending money for the Queen. And goodness me, look at Princess Beatrice, having to get married in Granny's hand-me-downs.

Anniebach Fri 24-Jul-20 11:54:33

The costs of turning Buck House and Windsor into blocks of
flats ! Suppose they could be sold to the Sultan of Brunei !