Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit Re-booted

(599 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Jul-20 08:07:06

Whilst we have all been busy with C19, Brexit has been still in the background, so I thought as a break from C19 I would start up Brexit again??

Latest gossip/leak

Liz Truss has written to Johnson warning him that his border plans “ risk smuggling, damage to the U.K. reputation and WTO wrath who may well launch a legal challenge over the plan to phase in customs and health checks Over 6 months.

Something else that’s going to run and run.

Negotiations with the EU are due to end 31 October.

MaizieD Fri 10-Jul-20 14:51:42

Cancel them, growstuff. wink It was Barnier's letter I was talking about.

Aha..
The whole correspondence is on this tweet:

twitter.com/uk_domain_names/status/1281396783051087873?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1281396783051087873%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thelondoneconomic.com%2Fpolitics%2Fbarnier-hits-back-at-francois-in-withering-letter%2F10%2F07%2F

Lucca Fri 10-Jul-20 14:52:05

Goodness what an arrogant letter from Mr Francois

MaizieD Fri 10-Jul-20 15:06:54

He's been taking lessons from his hero, Cummings, Lucca

Davidhs Fri 10-Jul-20 15:11:59

I didnt realize the ERG was a official elected body. I am wondering just what response he expected from Barnier, the EU have not given way one millimeter in negotiations, either the October Agreement is accepted or there will be no agreement.

westendgirl Fri 10-Jul-20 15:32:45

Oh dear, seem to have gone haywire in my last sentence which should read that the powers that be failed to join in.........

MaizieD Fri 10-Jul-20 15:39:18

The EU has published a document setting out the changes we can expect after 31st December when transition ends. These changes are irrespective of whether or not we have made a trade deal with them by that time.

The striking changes are in barriers to trade and 'inconvenience' to UK travellers going to Europe.

This article summarises them (and contains a link to the EU document)

yorkshirebylines.co.uk/eu-launches-its-own-shock-and-awe-campaign-early/

Welshwife Fri 10-Jul-20 16:07:20

growstuff the limits now are for it to be for your Own personal use - the limit on wine is about 90 litres I believe whereas previously was a couple of bottles.
I rarely buy at Duty free shops but just take local goods.

Dinahmo Fri 10-Jul-20 16:58:41

I can remember in those longed for (by some) days of yore bringing 24 bottles of wine home when the limit was 6 bottles. We didn't bring back anything else (spirits, perfume or tobacco products) but went through the red light, told the official what we had and he waved us on. We got through more quickly than those queuing for the green light.

I also remember the booze cruises, after joining the EU, when white van men went to the supermarkets in Calais and filled their vans with cigarettes and booze. All ostensibly for personal use. lots of them got done over by customs.

Dinahmo Fri 10-Jul-20 16:59:59

Welshwife

growstuff the limits now are for it to be for your Own personal use - the limit on wine is about 90 litres I believe whereas previously was a couple of bottles.
I rarely buy at Duty free shops but just take local goods.

Whether you buy from a duty free shop or locally makes no difference. The limit is still the same.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Jul-20 17:32:07

You wonder how on Earth business will be able to absorb the extra costs after the hammer of covid and of course Brexit with tariffs, vast amounts of paperwork etc.

Businesses will have to employ someone to do the paperwork.

Romola Fri 10-Jul-20 17:46:37

The PM's stock has certainly fallen during the Covid19 crisis. Maybe the Conservatives will do what they usually do when a PM falls out of favour with the public: require him to resign. Whether any replacement would see sense about a deal with the EU is of course questionable.
I shall feel sad and bitter about Brexit to the end of my days.
Why on earth are we leaving just about the only benign institution on the planet?

varian Fri 10-Jul-20 19:41:06

We have left the EU because of malign influences which wanted to harm this country and were successful in doing so.

Where is the report on Russian interference in our democracy?

Just watch the upcoming tv programme on the influence of Rupert Murdoch.

Putin and Murdoch or only two of the people who wish this country harm and used their influence to broing about the brexit catastrophe.

Welshwife Fri 10-Jul-20 19:52:03

Dinah I was asking if anyone knew what the limits were going to be at the end of the transition period or if they would simply revert back to how they were years ago.
I realise there is no difference where you buy the goods - I simply buy where I live as I can get it while doing my normal shop or go to the local vineyard.

Urmstongran Fri 10-Jul-20 19:52:22

All the same, Mr. Barnier seems to be getting a bit rattled. Maybe he’s fed up of us. But then we are edging nearer to a No Deal which would’ve been unheard of with Olly Robbins & Mrs. May. He’s under pressure from business leaders within the EU.

I think a deal will be done.

varian Fri 10-Jul-20 20:01:53

I hope you are right UG.

Brexit is a disaster but no-deal would be the most disastrous type of brexit.

MaizieD Fri 10-Jul-20 20:14:52

The EU was prepared for no deal in March 2019. They have the infrastructure in place and have been kept informed of developments. The document I posted the link to earlier is a clear explanation of how being a third country will affect us post transition.

They have already replaced the trading income that they would potentially lose from the cessation of trade with the UK. The German car makers and Italian Prosecco producers aren't going to come galloping over the hill at the last moment. They don't need us.

Monsieur Barnier isn't in the least bit rattled. I suspect he'll be very glad to see the last of us. grin

Deedaa Fri 10-Jul-20 20:25:55

I notice that they are still telling us it's up to everyone to get ready for January without telling anyone exactly what this will involve. Must be a nightmare if you are an importer or exporter.

Urmstongran Fri 10-Jul-20 20:53:58

Gove is making an announcement on Monday ‘Get Ready for Brexit’.

MayBee70 Fri 10-Jul-20 23:20:03

Hurrah! I’ve been trying to get ready for brexit for 4 years and, like most people (and that includes people who voted for it) I still haven’t got the faintest idea what ‘this’ brexit is going to entail. I’d actually be quite interested to know what leave voters did actually expect so I could compare it to what we end up with. At least, by voting to remain I actually knew what I was voting for.

growstuff Sat 11-Jul-20 02:42:29

Davidhs

I didnt realize the ERG was a official elected body. I am wondering just what response he expected from Barnier, the EU have not given way one millimeter in negotiations, either the October Agreement is accepted or there will be no agreement.

The ERG isn't elected, but it's a legitimate "research" group. MPs donate to it and then claim the donation as an expense - paid for by you, me and all other taxpayers.

growstuff Sat 11-Jul-20 02:47:42

The ERG wants the EU to cave in to their demands, especially on fishing. The EU would be prepared to consider fishing as part of a negotiation, but the UK doesn't want to give anything back, so it can't be a negotiation. It's just bullying and bluster.

The UK isn't prepared to put anything on the table in return for fishing (or anything else) because it would find it politically difficult to justify concessions to its supporters.

I wonder if Liz Truss's latest announcement is part of some kind of double bluff.

growstuff Sat 11-Jul-20 02:49:35

Gove, Cummings and some very shady characters behind them are pulling the strings.

vegansrock Sat 11-Jul-20 06:39:35

Why does the U.K. make a fuss about fishing? It’s tiny part of out gdp. It’s terrible environmentally. There’s one Scottish family that owns half the U.K. fishing, the rest is foreign owned.

Urmstongran Sat 11-Jul-20 06:52:47

I think it’s all about the optics.
? ? ?
It sends a message.
Plus, with the high unemployment forecasts post-Covid if it provides training and jobs for more of our young lads who live along the U.K. coastal areas that’ll be a bonus.

growstuff Sat 11-Jul-20 07:01:18

And lasses?

What are they going to be trained to do?