Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit Re-booted

(599 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Jul-20 08:07:06

Whilst we have all been busy with C19, Brexit has been still in the background, so I thought as a break from C19 I would start up Brexit again??

Latest gossip/leak

Liz Truss has written to Johnson warning him that his border plans “ risk smuggling, damage to the U.K. reputation and WTO wrath who may well launch a legal challenge over the plan to phase in customs and health checks Over 6 months.

Something else that’s going to run and run.

Negotiations with the EU are due to end 31 October.

MaizieD Thu 01-Oct-20 19:08:37

I think this throws some light on the fishing quotas.

It is the small-scale skippers and coastal communities who are struggling with operating profits close to zero. This is due not to competition from European boats (with local exceptions in the Channel) but to the failure of UK governments to challenge the “eating up” of quotas by big fishing interests.

Read the whole article

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/11/brexit-uk-fishermen-fishing-industry-quotas-uk-government

growstuff Thu 01-Oct-20 19:11:37

biba70

haven't got the figures in front of me, but isn't the case that most fish caught by UK fishermen is exported to EU as not to our taste, and vice-versa?

Isn't there a 'problem' there ;) UG?

Yes, it is the case. The British don't eat the fish caught in British waters, so border controls will kill off trade because the fish will no longer be fresh when it reaches market. The UK imports most of the fish it eats. The exception is farmed salmon from Scotland.

growstuff Thu 01-Oct-20 19:12:18

Urmstongran

Ah but it’s all about the optics growstuff. It’s ours to negotiate away, or not.

Anyway if it’s so piffling, how come the French want it so much?

?

I haven't a clue what you're going on about.

growstuff Thu 01-Oct-20 19:13:28

JenniferEccles

Urmstongran ?

Yes we are all doomed aren’t we?

If the virus doesn’t get us then there is Brexit lurking round the corner.
We will either starve to death, or die from lack of medications.
What else? Oh yes we will all be poisoned by those chlorinated chickens we are apparently being forced to eat.

We may as well give up now.

I’m just off to text my offspring to tell them not to bother buying dad and I anything for Christmas as apparently we won’t be around to make use of it!

Now you're being silly with strawmen arguments. Why be such a drama queen?

Dinahmo Thu 01-Oct-20 19:15:24

Urmstongran

Also perhaps a good deal of the EU is landlocked? Makes a big difference.
?

There are some fish in rivers. There are large rivers in Europe and not all polluted.

varian Thu 01-Oct-20 19:15:24

The brexiters have lost the plot. They just don't care how much damage is done to the UK. I suspect that they never did.

growstuff Thu 01-Oct-20 19:21:10

All this stuff about fishing is smoke and mirrors. Most of the quotas in British territorial waters are owned by individuals in Spain and Norway. No "deal" can get them back. Most of the UK profit in fishing is from Scottish processors. It's all worth a piffling amount of GDP.

growstuff Thu 01-Oct-20 19:23:11

varian

The brexiters have lost the plot. They just don't care how much damage is done to the UK. I suspect that they never did.

It's weird that they call themselves patriots when they couldn't give a monkeys about their country. They can't even explain any advantages coherently.

biba70 Thu 01-Oct-20 19:32:05

And lakes, unpolluted Lakes Dinahmo. Had local perch fillets today on a boat, on a wonderful local Lake ;)

Urmstongran Thu 01-Oct-20 19:40:31

From the BBC:

“The government wants to hold annual talks on access to UK and EU waters, and on quotas - using a system which works out shares based on the percentage of each species of fish in each EEZ (this is known as "zonal attachment").

That's what other independent coastal states like Norway do. And fishing communities in the UK, which were strong supporters of the campaign to leave the EU, are insisting on this basic change.

But because UK waters are so important, and so bountiful, the EU is under huge pressure from its fishing communities to maintain the status quo.

It wants the UK to grant the same level of access there is now, with only gradual change envisaged, in order to "avoid economic dislocation for EU fishermen that have traditionally fished in UK waters".

The EU also wants to divide up the amounts that each country's boats are allowed to catch in a way that will not be renegotiated every year, and which cannot be changed unless both the UK and the EU agree.

The EU's chief negotiator Michel Barnier has said annual negotiations with the UK would be technically impossible because so many different types of fish would be involved.
But he has also acknowledged that the EU's current position on fishing will have to change.”

GrannyGravy13 Thu 01-Oct-20 19:59:16

Instead of continuously blaming the people that used their right to vote how about blaming the coward David Cameron who gave us the referendum and then ran away with his tail between his legs?????

MaizieD Thu 01-Oct-20 20:04:55

GrannyGravy13

Instead of continuously blaming the people that used their right to vote how about blaming the coward David Cameron who gave us the referendum and then ran away with his tail between his legs?????

Don't you worry about that, GG13. there probably isn't a Remain voter in the land who doesn't utterly despise him.

But we still don't have a lot of time for people who voted leave without being aware of the likely consequences. Or who ignored them, despite being warned before the vote.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 20:06:57

MaizieD

GrannyGravy13

Don't you worry about that, GG13. there probably isn't a Remain voter in the land who doesn't utterly despise him.

But we still don't have a lot of time for people who voted leave without being aware of the likely consequences. Or who ignored them, despite being warned before the vote.

I have zero time for them

lemongrove Thu 01-Oct-20 20:12:25

That’s ok......I have zero time for people who voted Remain and then spent the last few years whining about how unfair that the vote didn’t go their way.
Millions of people are very happy that we are finished with the EU and simply don't give a fig about what Remainers think, because it doesn't matter.

Urmstongran Thu 01-Oct-20 20:15:13

What annoyed me most about David Cameron was he felt he could only be the PM for Remain voters. Once most of us (who bothered to vote) won the referendum, he upped and went. Thanks a bunch ‘Dave’.

biba70 Thu 01-Oct-20 20:24:10

that is fair enough lemon - it doesn't matter indeed.

What will matter, to leavers - and remainers- is the consequences. Will you own up to them? Or will you continue to blame the EU and the remainers?

biba70 Thu 01-Oct-20 21:01:26

And there I was, thinking Jon Snow is a Tory and a Brexiter- he does not mince his words this time:
www.facebook.com/watch/?v=900202487171918

varian Sun 04-Oct-20 14:40:36

The NFU has consistently said that a no-deal Brexit would be socially and economically catastrophic for farming in Britain. Farming is the bedrock of the UK’s largest manufacturing sector – food and drink – that is worth £122bn to the national economy. One in seven of us work within the sector, and 
every single person on the planet needs to eat.

www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/opinion/columnists/how-no-deal-brexit-will-devastate-farming-uk-nfu-president-minette-batters-1753125

biba70 Sun 04-Oct-20 14:56:57

Shared by a young friend today

I sometimes get asked why I’m still so angry about the Referendum in 2016 . This sums it up from a friend.
‘Full list of companies that have already left due to Brexit...
British company Smiffys moves HQ to Europe Oct-16
Almac admits new operation in Dundalk is because of Brexit Feb-17
Lush Cosmetics to move operations to Germany Mar-17
Lloyd’s of London will move jobs to new Brussels office Mar-17
HSBC to move up to 1000 jobs to Paris Oct-17
The European Medicines Agency announces Amsterdam as location of new HQ. Nov-17
European Banking Authority moves to Paris Nov-17
Moneygram to move to Brussels Jan-18
Deutsche Bank to move hundreds of jobs to Frankfurt Jan-18
CitiGroup to make Frankfurt its post Brexit EU Hub Feb-18
Societe Generale to move 300 staff to Paris Feb-18
Unilever announces it will relocate its legal HQ to Amsterdam Mar-18
Goldman Sachs start moving staff to Frankfurt Mar-18
Morgan Stanley to move 80 jobs to Paris Mar-18
UBS to move some staff to Frankfurt Mar-18
Barclays to make Dublin its main EU Hub Apr-18
Bank of America to move hub to Dublin May-18
Heathrow owner Ferrovial to move HQ to Amsterdam Jun-18
Jaguar Land Rover to move Discover production to Slovakia Jun-18
Sanofi Pharma move QP and QC jobs to EU member state Jun-18
Nomura confirms banking license granted in Frankfurt Jun-18
Barclays to move 50 jobs to Frankfurt Jul-18
LSE and CBOE open trading venue in Amsterdam Jul-18
Luxembourg looks for more office space for Brexit firms Jul-18
J P Morgan asks several dozen to relocate Jul-18
DTCC move to Ireland Jul-18
Lloyds Banks to create three hubs in the EU Jul-18
Chubb European Group and Ace European Life move to France Jul-18
Deutsche Bank move some jobs to Frankfurt Jul-18
Trading company Jane Street moves to Amsterdam Jul-18
Credit Suisse moves 50 jobs to Madrid Jul-18
Forex Trader NEX moves to Amsterdam Jul-18
Credit Suisse picks Luxembourg, Madrid & Frankfurt Aug-18
Bank of America to move 200 jobs to Paris Aug-18
Baillie Gifford to move operations to Dublin Aug-18
Ship Insurer UK P&I Club makes hub in Rotterdam Aug-18
Nomura contacts clients about migrating to Frankfurt Aug-18
EU Naval Force HQ to move out of London Aug-18
Panasonic to move HQ to Amsterdam Aug-18
Ashmore sets up Irish base in Dublin Sep-18
Acquis Exchange opens office in Paris Sep-18
First State Asset Managers to move funds to Ireland Sep-18
Next sets up new Irish company to avoid customs post Brexit Sep-18
Elcome open office in Alicante Oct-18
Wells Fargo shift EU hub to Paris Oct-18
Coinbase opens Dublin office Oct-18
Aviva move UK policy administration to Ireland Oct-18
Axa XL moves European Operations to Ireland Oct-18
SciSys moves to Dublin to keep space work Oct-18
BUPA plan European hub move to Dublin Oct-18
HarbourVest to open in Dublin to lessen Brexit impact Oct-18
CME Group move $240 billion/day market to Amsterdam Nov-18
Steris – multi billion dollar US Healthcare firm – moves HQ to Ireland Nov-18
Tokio Marine Group receives court approval for Luxembourg move Nov-18
Schaeffler to close two UK plants Nov-18
Bank of America complete move to Dublin 100 staff Nov-18
RBS applies for German Banking licence Dec-18
Societe General opens clearing capability in Paris Dec-18
Vanguard, Merian Global open offices in Dublin Dec-18
Wells Fargo to open offices in Frankfurt and Paris Jan-19
Philips to close Suffolk factory Jan-19
Discovery moves European HQ to Amsterdam Jan-19
Axa to move staff to Dublin Jan-19
Dyson to move HQ to Singapore Jan-19
Pantheon open Dublin office as part of Brexit planning Jan-19
Sony to move HQ to Amsterdam Jan-19
Trading platform Acquis sets up hub in Paris Jan-19
Merril Lynch to move 100s of jobs to Paris Jan-19
Shwarz Gerhard move staff to Austria Feb-19
Aviva, Natwest move funds to Ireland, Holland Feb-19
Discovery Channel gets German license Feb-19
Honda to close Swindon plant Feb-19
Raspberry Pi looking to move manufacturing to Ireland or Holland Feb-19
Ford to close Bridgend plant Jun-19
Aztec Oils opens operation in Lithuania Sep-19
Senju Metal Industries close High Wycombe factory Sep-19
Total move cash management to Paris Jan-20
API Foils, Livingston closes on Brexit Day – blaming Brexit Jan-20
Revolut move payment operations to Ireland Feb-20
Kids fashion company Frugi opens Dutch base Feb-20
German Digital bank N26 quits UK due to Brexit Feb-20
Kasai in Mertyr Tydfil close with the loss of 180 jobs Feb-20
McBrides in Barrow to move production to France and Luxembourg Feb-20
Ineos to build new 4×4 in France Aug-20
J P Morgan move 200 more staff to Frankfurt Sep-20
7500 finance jobs and $1.6 Trillion to leave UK Oct-20

Dinahmo Sun 04-Oct-20 16:15:41

Biba70 An interesting list. Thank you for posting it.

In the latest You Guv Poll the numbers of people who still think it's right for Britain to leave the EU has fallen to 39% whilst 12% are don't knows. The later more or less equates with the referendum results which suggests that 12% of the population are thinking about whether it was the right thing to do.

biba70 Sun 04-Oct-20 16:25:20

Even Rees-Mogg has acknowledged this

varian Sun 04-Oct-20 16:30:39

The result of the fraudulent referendum in June 2016 was a fluke, way out of line with the majority opinion in hundreds of polls before or since then.

This reflects the extraordinary amount of foriegn interference and cheating, including the colossal number of targetted facebook messages sent by Russia in the days immediately before. It should have been declared void.

The fact that the report into Russian interference in our democracy, much delayed and held back before the last election, did not even look at Russia' influence in brexirt, speaks volumes.

flump Sun 04-Oct-20 16:49:40

I haven't looked at the YouGov polls lately but I have posted about them before. For anyone who wants to read it, see page 6 of this thread. If you don't, that's fine too. smile