Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yet another example of the government handing out contracts to friends.

(39 Posts)
Dinahmo Fri 10-Jul-20 12:03:03

Public First, a research company run by a colleague of Cummings and a former adviser to Gove have been given a contract worth £840,000 to research into public opinion of the govt's policies.

Govts are legally required to put all contracts out to tender. The Govt's response was they did not need to tender because of the covid-19 crisis. However, it would appear that some of the work was Brexit related and that the first focus group was on 3 March.

Some of the documentation relating to the contract refers to Brexit related work. But the Govt are blaming "book-keeping" and that the Cabinet Office accounts dept used the "wrong cost code".

This is not the first time that contracts without prior tender have been given to friends of Cummings and Gove. Back in 2010 when Gove was education minister one of the partners in Public First, Rachel Wolf ran the New Schools Network to promote free schools. That organisation was given a contract for £500,000. The reason for no tendering was that her organisation was the ony able to provide expert support quickly enough.

I think that this Govt is corrupt, led from the top down. In case any of you have forgotten, the Garden Bridge project, cost £53,000. This includes £161,000 on a website, £417,000 for a gala, design costs over £9 million and £1.7 million to the executives, friends of Johnson.

growstuff Sun 12-Jul-20 13:41:45

I would imagine Rich is related to Dick and is a pseudonym.

Did you do an internet search of the companies mentioned?

I searched a couple of them and Mt Head appears to be correct.

growstuff Sun 12-Jul-20 13:46:04

Here are some more dodgy dealings to add to the list:

www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/12/revealed-dominic-cummings-firm-paid-vote-leaves-ai-firm-260000

GillT57 Mon 13-Jul-20 11:11:35

www.ft.com/content/c0d439c8-18ac-499b-8115-da2bc0f18567 here it is reported in FT for those who like to believe everything tories do is marvelllous check the sources.

MaizieD Mon 13-Jul-20 11:24:41

Paywalled, GillT57 sad

GillT57 Mon 13-Jul-20 16:01:35

Oop, sorry Maizie, I am sure I can find it elsewhere as it does seem to be quite widely reported, even if not widely believed. Leave it with me. x

GillT57 Mon 13-Jul-20 16:04:05

www.businessinsider.com/uk-government-sued-pest-control-company-ppe-contract-2020-6?r=US&IR=T

uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-family-pest-control-firm-was-handed-ppe-contract-125938201.html

Furret Mon 13-Jul-20 16:12:15

No surprises. This is their raison d’être - the old boy network, fellow members of the Bullingdon Club, contracts to cronies, backhanders for planning applications, the list is endless.

growstuff Mon 13-Jul-20 16:16:31

I was reading about the background of some of the other companies which were awarded contracts. It's mind-boggling. One is a recruitment consultancy with no experience at all in procuring PPE. Another had just a few pounds in the bank and was about to go bankrupt. Others hadn't traded for years, but came back to life to apply for these contracts.

It reminds me of Chris Grayling giving a shipping contract to a company with no ships.

growstuff Mon 13-Jul-20 16:19:23

Belatedly I know where I went wrong in my career. Whenever I applied for a new job, I used to go through the job spec and make sure I had relevant experience and expertise. I should have just applied for any old thing. It seems being able to do the job doesn't matter any more.

GillT57 Mon 13-Jul-20 16:41:09

Grayling is just laughable, he keeps 'falling upwards" despite failure after failure. I worked for a very large petrochemical contractor some years ago, and the bid evaluations were a very precise, organised, confidential and professional process. The companies had to have relevant, checkable experience, be in sound financial health, able to cope with proposed contract etc., References were taken up with previous clients and then the decision was made. We are about to embark upon a major ( for us) garden expenditure involving landscaping, excavations etc., and we are taking more care with it than this useless bloody administration are taking with MY money, throwing contracts about willy nilly to friends and colleagues and anyone with the brass neck to put themselves forward for the money. There is a fair bit of silence from the usual suspects who support this administration whatever they do..........maybe the tainted penny has dropped?

growstuff Thu 16-Jul-20 10:04:13

Who'd have thought it?

www.gov.uk/government/news/update-on-randox-test-kits

NHS Test and Trace has been notified that some test kits produced by Randox laboratories may not meet our required safety standards for coronavirus testing. NHS Test and Trace are requesting that all settings pause the use of Randox test kits with immediate effect and until further notice.

The company has been awarded a £133 million contract by The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) without having to compete for a tender. When asked if Owen Patterson had lobbied on behalf of the company a spokesman for DHSC said they were “unable to comment on the personnel matters of other organisations”.

It was reported that former cabinet minister Owen Paterson, who was a consultant to Randox Laboratories, had helped to lobby the government to seek contracts for them.

varian Thu 16-Jul-20 19:40:23

So what? How much evidence of corruption do the Tory voters need before they say "enough is enough"?

Drum1234 Thu 16-Jul-20 20:52:15

When discussing the Cummings debacle with a friend, she said she wasn't at all surprised and couldn't understand why anyone was because, in her words 'That's just what the Tories do.' And she's right. Handing out contracts to their cronies is just another example of their innate contempt of due process and the notion that they don't have to abide by the rules.