Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does anyone else think that at the next General Election...

(87 Posts)
Witzend Fri 10-Jul-20 14:44:13

...it’ll be Keir Starmer vs. Rishi Sunak for PM?
And maybe before the full term is up?

Galaxy Fri 10-Jul-20 18:52:03

They didn't listen because if you are constantly told you are stupid for reading the express and mail then strangely enough you move away from the people singing that song.

varian Fri 10-Jul-20 18:59:43

Really?

My impression is that these folk pay absolutely no attention to any other opinions.

Galaxy Fri 10-Jul-20 19:02:34

Who are these folk varian? They are the people that labour or whoever need to vote for them.

FarNorth Fri 10-Jul-20 19:21:45

Why oh why did people not listen.
It can be quite astonishing, talking to someone like that in person.

Them : blabla view X

Me : blabla I prefer view Z because....

Them : blabla view X
(making no attempt at all to explain why they prefer view X or what they think is wrong with view Z.)

Urmstongran Fri 10-Jul-20 19:36:09

I think Boris will stay. Even post Brexit on 31 December. He & Sunak make a good team ... both wanting Brexit. Just like me.
?

Iam64 Sat 11-Jul-20 09:06:03

my impression is these people pay absolutely no attention to to other opinions

That works both ways doesn't it. Polarised rows, or a complete rejection of ideas that don't fit the agenda are one of the reasons Labour under Corbyn and co lost so many seats at the last election.

Grandad1943 Sat 11-Jul-20 09:47:58

Iam64

*my impression is these people pay absolutely no attention to to other opinions *

That works both ways doesn't it. Polarised rows, or a complete rejection of ideas that don't fit the agenda are one of the reasons Labour under Corbyn and co lost so many seats at the last election.

The reason that Labour lost the election was Brexit and the right within the Parliamentary Labour Party Central Office working against their own elected leader.

The North of England voted leave, Johnson told the North of England that a vote for him and the Tory party would definitely secure that desire. The North then voted for Johnson and the Tories.

Simple as that.

Galaxy Sat 11-Jul-20 09:52:49

No it wasnt it was much more complex that that. Blaming it on brexit ignores the previous election and the current situation with regard to Starmers popularity within the country.

Grandad1943 Sat 11-Jul-20 10:10:12

Galaxy

No it wasnt it was much more complex that that. Blaming it on brexit ignores the previous election and the current situation with regard to Starmers popularity within the country.

Galaxy, if it was more complex than Brexit why did the Liberal Democrats poll so badly at the General Election? They had a clear message being that Britain should ignore the referendum and just remain within the EU. That was totally rejected.

Starmer's largest trial as leader is yet to come. The foregoing will be in saving the Parliamentary Labour Party (PLP) from insolvency, and in that he will need to rebuild the bridges with the wider Labour movement that at this point in time have been almost totally destroyed.

The complete economic restructuring and downsising of the Labour Party will be required in the above, but should Kier Starmer succeed in that he may then go on to be recognised as an outstanding leader of the party and wider movement.

However, at this point in time that is a big IF.

Galaxy Sat 11-Jul-20 10:20:09

They polled badly for numerous reasons, politics is rarely down to one factor, they massively misjudged how people feel about overthrowing a democratic vote, they could have managed that in a much more voter friendly way, jo Swinson was not effective, they became mired in identity politics, they alienated some women, I could go on.

Grandad1943 Sat 11-Jul-20 10:33:49

Galaxy

They polled badly for numerous reasons, politics is rarely down to one factor, they massively misjudged how people feel about overthrowing a democratic vote, they could have managed that in a much more voter friendly way, jo Swinson was not effective, they became mired in identity politics, they alienated some women, I could go on.

The Liberal Democrats had one continuous message during the General Election campaign and that was NO BREXIT, NO BREXIT, NO BREXIT

Labour Party support was totally divided with the North of England heavily supporting Brexit while the South of England were heavily in support or Remain. The Labour leadership tried to bridge that gap with a confused and difficult message.

Boris Johnson had one continuous message during the General Election campaign and that was BREXIT, BREXIT, BREXIT.

Under Britains first passed the post electoral system the voters went overwhelmingly for the Boris Johnson message.

Simple as that.

Dinahmo Sat 11-Jul-20 10:41:31

Grandad And they'll live to regret it

Jane10 Sat 11-Jul-20 10:41:44

I think everyone was so sick of the stalemate with any move stymied in parliament that they just voted for the one party who seemed likely to actually move things on.

maddyone Sat 11-Jul-20 10:44:40

I agree with Grandad. The last election was about Brexit. At the moment it’s impossible to say what the next election will be about primarily. It’s too difficult to tell, it depends which way the cookie crumbles. Rising taxes, unemployment, Covid19, the economy, Brexit; its all in the mix. Anyone could hazard a guess, but that’s all it can be. This time next year it could be clearer, but who knows, it might not be.

Galaxy Sat 11-Jul-20 12:16:17

And the election before that when corbyn failed to win? That will have been someone else's fault as well. It wasnt just about Brexit in the north, time and time again on the doorstep it was about corbyn. Thankfully Starmer seems to understand this.

quizqueen Sat 11-Jul-20 12:29:49

I think most countries will be in the same boat as the UK financially. Personally, I would have no objection to Rishi being the next Conservative leader even though I'm 'marked' as being one of the biggest racists on this site.

We should begin with nationalising all companies owned by China for a start- this should happen worldwide to have a real effect as they are the biggest threat to the world and not just from diseases - and put our emphasis in being as self sufficient in food and manufacturing as much as possible.

MaizieD Sat 11-Jul-20 12:49:04

We haven't been anywhere near self sufficient in food for the past 100 years or more, qq. We couldn't even manage it in WWII with as much land as possible put down to growing vegetables etc and an only 45 million population. Plus food rationing and really boring food...

I'm all agog to see how we manage to expand our manufacturing base from next to nothing to supplying the needs of the UK. Most of it was destroyed 40 years ago when the emphasis turned to financial services and we were set for a bright future as part of the EU Single Market which our government had initiated and developed.

That's all upscuttled now, of course...

GrannyGravy13 Sat 11-Jul-20 13:11:26

This just popped up on my twitter feed, looks like the Government is still more popular than Labour.

Jenna2 Sat 11-Jul-20 13:15:01

No political headaches from me. I'm not in the UK :D

lemongrove Sat 11-Jul-20 14:55:27

Although I think Sunak would make a very able PM ( and obviously many on GN think so too) this may not translate to the country at large when it comes to votes.
Boris Johnson was always a popular figure right across the board.Am not sure why some think he will leave office before (over four years) his time? Once PM, nobody wants to step down.
The next election is so far off we can’t even begin to know the result, anything can and will ?happen before then.

AGAA4 Sat 11-Jul-20 16:19:15

Sunak didn't cover himself in glory over the forgotten self-employed.

He had said he would leave nobody without hope. There are many who have been left without hope and no income at all.

Urmstongran Sat 11-Jul-20 16:59:21

Some say Boris is fine, sitting tight as Sunak who is viewed as a benevolent Santa Claus at present will, by necessity, become Scrooge-like further down the track ...

AGAA4 Sat 11-Jul-20 17:22:16

The interview with Sunak on BBC Breakfast left many viewers appalled at his responses to a man who had no money for his children as he had been left out, along with many other self-employed, of the payments that others had.

ladymuck Sat 11-Jul-20 17:28:26

It's hard to say at the moment, everything could have changed by then. One thing I do know is that Starmer hasn't made a positive impression up here in the North, where so many voted Conservative. I think the Labour party thought that all they had to do was get rid of Corbyn and they would get their voters back.
They need to look at the reasons why people voted Tory if they really want to re- connect with the working classes.

MaizieD Sat 11-Jul-20 17:42:49

'The North' is a big area, ladymuck. Which bit are you talking about?