Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does anyone else think that at the next General Election...

(86 Posts)
Witzend Fri 10-Jul-20 14:44:13

...it’ll be Keir Starmer vs. Rishi Sunak for PM?
And maybe before the full term is up?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 10-Jul-20 14:47:16

I do think that Rishi Sunak will be the next Conservative leader.

Not sure about an early election, with an eighty seat majority surely even Boris/his successor would go to the polls before they had to?

Iam64 Fri 10-Jul-20 14:52:30

Yes, there seems to be a general view that Rishi Sunak will be the next Conservative party leader.

Much as I'd like to see the Conservatives out and Starmer as PM, I can't imagine an early election unless something seismic happens.
We are though, living in unusual times.

MaizieD Fri 10-Jul-20 15:05:19

I can see the possibility of a good deal of unrest next year when the number of unemployed rockets to a possible 6 or 7 million+ and the effects of a no deal Brexit are felt in huge difficulties with food supplies (despite the optimistic 'wave it through' 'plan' that the tories have proposed). I'm not sure if the government would weather it if the 'unrest' turns a bit nasty...

I'd be worried if it came to a contest between Sunak and Starmer because of the strange devotion of the British voter to wealth and poshness in their leaders.

GillT57 Fri 10-Jul-20 15:20:02

I don't think we will have a GE soon, but I also think that the cowardly Johnson will be gone by Christmas, January at the latest " I promised to take this country out of EU, and having achieved this, I am standing down to allow others to see this through" which is Johnson speak for this job is far harder than I thought it would be, I can't be ar*ed with detail, I am getting fed up with Starmer making me look a fool, I think I will clear off onto the lucrative after dinner speech circuit with my mates

GillT57 Fri 10-Jul-20 15:21:21

Incidentally, I do not want a GE, do not want any other party in government; they brought about this looming Brexit disaster and they can damn well see it through.

AGAA4 Fri 10-Jul-20 15:27:56

We may not have a GE soon and I hope by the time we do have one I can feel there is a party worth voting for.

EllanVannin Fri 10-Jul-20 15:40:50

Well it was either unemployment or working through the virus. What would any of us have done ? Risk it, perhaps like the front-line workers have done, NHS and food providers ?

I bet a lot of companies and workers, who didn't contract the virus were wishing they had taken a chance !

Let's face it, the amount of deaths we've had doesn't exceed many against a winter of 'flu deaths in the country.

MaizieD Fri 10-Jul-20 15:44:50

I don't know where you are getting your data from, EV, but the 5 year averages the ONS uses will include winter flu deaths and this year's excess deaths are well in excess of them through to the end of May.

Rosalyn69 Fri 10-Jul-20 15:51:04

I think GillT57 has a point. RS looks likely to be the next Conservative party leader. I quite like him. I can’t see a GE any time soon.

sparklingsilver28 Fri 10-Jul-20 16:00:30

It is shambolic the way this issue has been dealt with. Why was the UK so ill-prepared with safety equipment having been warned as early as 2015 of the likelihood of a pandemic? Why were elderly and vulnerable patients discharged into Care Homes without being tested for the virus – most of us known because they were considered dispensable. This emergency has been governed by an elite inexperienced few who have no understanding of the real world of the majority. It claimed that funding would be made available to cover the cost of all necessity and now running around like headless chickens over the cost to the economy. The Queen is quarantined at Windsor for the foreseeable future what does this tell us about the safety of vulnerable and elderly going out and mixing. Inexperience, inexperience! BJ stutters and stumbles to answer any questions and when he does, he puts his foot in his mouth. This is not just a government in disarray it is one made of ill-equipped boys unable to lead, think or make a decisive decision. Heaven help us!

Dinahmo Fri 10-Jul-20 16:08:10

EllanVannin

Well it was either unemployment or working through the virus. What would any of us have done ? Risk it, perhaps like the front-line workers have done, NHS and food providers ?

I bet a lot of companies and workers, who didn't contract the virus were wishing they had taken a chance !

Let's face it, the amount of deaths we've had doesn't exceed many against a winter of 'flu deaths in the country.

According to an NHS report the average number of flu deaths each year is around 10,000. The number of actual deaths from covid 19 is in excess of 44,000, not including those who might have had other problems.

Welshwife Fri 10-Jul-20 16:26:41

I think with Rishi Sunak it will depend how all measures pan out over the next few months and what he does for the unemployed. Besides which he may not want to be leader.

The country is in such a mess it needs a huge cull of people who have created this mess and maybe a coalition of people who have an idea to run the country to form a government - from all parties.

As much as I would like to see the people who lied so much to create this fiasco sorting it out I think they will just make a far worse tangle which will be almost impossible to sort out.

Riverwalk Fri 10-Jul-20 16:31:12

A few months ago Sajid Javid (The Saj - remember him?) was briefly the darling of GN Tories, however he never even got to deliver his first budget!

Four years is a very long time in politics.

GillT57 Fri 10-Jul-20 16:40:43

Yes well, poor old Javid fell foul of Cummings. I hope he is plotting a cold slow revenge.

varian Fri 10-Jul-20 17:02:46

Keir Starmer is certainly more popular than Corbyn and Rishi Sunak is certainly today's most popular Tory, but political honeymoons can be short.

Does anyone remember how popular Gordon Brown was just before the election which never was (because he bottled out) or how popular Nick Clegg was when he beat Brown and Cameron hands down in a tv debate where the other two competed with each other to say "I agree with Nick"?

Who knows what might happen before the next election?

Riverwalk Fri 10-Jul-20 17:37:39

GillT57

Yes well, poor old Javid fell foul of Cummings. I hope he is plotting a cold slow revenge.

Javid, as Home Secretary, has the blood of Shamima Begum's new born baby on his hands. I wonder if in retrospect he loses any sleep over that decision?

He can stay in the political wilderness.

GillT57 Fri 10-Jul-20 17:42:32

Many of them have blood on their hands.

suziewoozie Fri 10-Jul-20 17:55:39

I agree Welshwife about needing to see how things pan out over the next few months re RS. There’s plenty of opposition on the Tory back benchers to his very interventionist approach but if it works out, they’ll forgive him. I wonder how he and DC get on? And of course, the two unknowns are whether there’ll be a second wave and the consequences of Brexit and whatever deal (or not) that emerges as for RS wanting to be PM or not, I doubt he came into politics to be Number 2.

biba70 Fri 10-Jul-20 18:07:52

Sterling is faling through the floor - and I think most people now realise how things will pan out - Covid + No Deal Brexit will be an absolute disaster.

Jane10 Fri 10-Jul-20 18:09:34

Rishi is a much better prospect than Boris but I never understood how Boris could have got where he is in the first place. Goodness knows what will happen.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Jul-20 18:10:27

Why oh why did people not listen. It is disastrous.

varian Fri 10-Jul-20 18:31:18

People do not listen because they have been brainwashed by the poisonous propaganda which has been drip, drip, dripping into them for years.

Have you ever spoken to a Daily Express reader WWm2?

maddyone Fri 10-Jul-20 18:46:07

Frankly, anything could happen. I haven’t got a crystal ball so I think I’ll just have to wait and see. My biggest fear is a huge second wave of the virus. We should all be afraid of that, including the politicians.

Niobe Fri 10-Jul-20 18:51:52

Ahh Sunak the chap who wants to charge NHS workers to park at hospitals. Remember that nurses ,and many others, work shifts that mean they cannot always use public transport. I don’t see him rushing to give them a pay rise either and in fact I read that he’d voted against it.