Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Russian Report

(137 Posts)
MaizieD Tue 21-Jul-20 13:05:52

The ISC report on Russian interference is out today. It doesn't point the finger of blame at individuals, I didn't realistically think that it would (though that might be in the unpublished Annexe). But in a way it is worse, it points the finger at the last few years of tory government and the Intelligence services.

This is the summary given to the media:

Basically the report says that we know that there is Russian interference. There was no investigation of Russian interference in the EU referendum because the government chose not to pursue it.

When you look at the amount of Russian money being laundered through City financial institutions, oligarchical investment in property, football clubs, newspapers etc. and the huge amounts of Russian money being donated to the tory party you begin to understand why tory governments weren't too keen on deeper investigation...

MaizieD Fri 24-Jul-20 12:15:34

So sorry you were misled, ladymuck

ladymuck Fri 24-Jul-20 12:08:41

I voted for us to leave the EU, because I wanted us to be an independent country again, in charge of our own affairs.
Instead of which, we seem to be a bone being fought over by America, Russia and China. Everyone wants a piece of us.

MaizieD Fri 24-Jul-20 11:50:02

Politics and corruption have been bedfellows since time immemorium, regardless of political persuasion.

That's just lazy thinking, dayvidg. It insults those who go into politics with the intention of doing good for the country and its people and encourages the venial to perpetrate the system.

dayvidg Fri 24-Jul-20 11:40:02

Politics and corruption have been bedfellows since time immemorium, regardless of political persuasion. As the saying goes, it doesn't matter who you vote for, the Government will get in power.

MaizieD Fri 24-Jul-20 11:22:53

Just picking up on your typo of 15 years. In 2015 a number of loopholes were closed to prevent the worst aspects of the original excesses.

Apologies, you're right. !0 years (it just 'feels' like 15)

it is an attempt to curry favour the the party in Government, not an attempt to support/oppose any particular ideology

'Curry favour' is an amusing choice of phrase. It's bribery. It's paying money to influence government policy. A rather undemocratic practice, don't you think?

We will never know what they'd have done with a Labour government, but I suspect they'd have spent their money elsewhere as Labour policy could have been inimical to their aims.

growstuff Fri 24-Jul-20 11:11:56

The objective is to destabilise/weaken Europe rather than support any specific party.

The Conservative Party is divisive and anti-EU, so of course Russia will help stir that pot. Division is good news to Putin.

dayvidg Fri 24-Jul-20 10:55:19

@MaizieD

As to it being a 'government problem. Well, the tories have been in government for 15 years. Plenty of time for them to do something about 'the problem'. Can't think why they haven't acted...

Just picking up on your typo of 15 years. In 2015 a number of loopholes were closed to prevent the worst aspects of the original excesses.

Why would Russians want to make 'donations' to the party in government, I wonder

That is my point - it is not the Conservative party that is being supported by this money; it is an attempt to curry favour the the party in Government, not an attempt to support/oppose any particular ideology

MaizieD Fri 24-Jul-20 10:36:38

dayvidg

@MaizieD
Didn't realise that Gordon Brown was a Tory. Are these donations made to the Tory Party or to the party in Government? How could they receive favour from the party in opposition? If we had a Labour Government, I'm sure that most of these donations would be made to them.

Who said that Brown was a tory? I didn't.

Why would Russians want to make 'donations' to the party in government, I wonder?

dayvidg Fri 24-Jul-20 10:25:54

@MaizieD
Didn't realise that Gordon Brown was a Tory. Are these donations made to the Tory Party or to the party in Government? How could they receive favour from the party in opposition? If we had a Labour Government, I'm sure that most of these donations would be made to them.

MaizieD Fri 24-Jul-20 10:10:03

This is not a Tory problem, it is a Government problem,

I can quite see that it isn't a tory problem. After all, they've made £millions out of it in 'donations' to the party and tory individuals. No problem ffor them...

I don't see any Russian donations to the Labour party, though. How very ungrateful of the Russians to not mark the kindness of Labour in giving them easy access to the money laundering facilities which enable them to 'legitimise' the billions they made from plundering the Russian state.

As to it being a 'government problem. Well, the tories have been in government for 15 years. Plenty of time for them to do something about 'the problem'. Can't think why they haven't acted...

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Jul-20 10:05:21

dayvidg

In 2008, under Gordon Brown, the Tier 1 visa programme was introduced, making it easier for foreign nationals to obtain British residency. Until the rules were changed in 2015, 705 of 3000 people taking advantage of the scheme were Russian. This is not a Tory problem, it is a Government problem, which began under Labour.
www.wired.co.uk/article/russia-report-golden-visas

The Tory problem has nothing to do with the change in the visa programme.

It is to do with back handlers and noses in the trough.

Tell me how much has the Tory party benefited from Russian money?

Controlled by Putin?

dayvidg Fri 24-Jul-20 09:18:30

In 2008, under Gordon Brown, the Tier 1 visa programme was introduced, making it easier for foreign nationals to obtain British residency. Until the rules were changed in 2015, 705 of 3000 people taking advantage of the scheme were Russian. This is not a Tory problem, it is a Government problem, which began under Labour.
www.wired.co.uk/article/russia-report-golden-visas

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Jul-20 21:06:07

varian

Many GNetters may agree with you Wwm2 but how long will it take to persuade the readers of the rightwing tabloids?

There will always be people who genuinely believe in the sort of values the Tory represents. Nothing will change them.

varian Thu 23-Jul-20 20:56:54

Many GNetters may agree with you Wwm2 but how long will it take to persuade the readers of the rightwing tabloids?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Jul-20 20:36:33

I suppose regarding to the Russia report, although it is all very depressing and likely to get worse, I think what we can console ourselves over is the fact that at least we are now beginning to understand what is happening and how the vastly wealthy are behaving and buying our country and a political,party.

The main issue is that democracy cannot stand in the face of such gross inequality and the abuse of power.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Jul-20 20:22:27

GillT57

Traitors all. But, but, but......the people got Brexit. I have said it before but I am more frightened of Brexit than of Covid19. I can shield from Covid19 but no amount of shielding will protect me from the stupidity of the British electorate who voted for this group of criminals and are prepared to overlook everything they do as long as they get their beloved Brexit. Well, I for one will take great pleasure in a resounding WE TOLD YOU SO, I am no longer prepared to be all nice and understanding about people's actions which will have a huge impact on my life.

I feel very, very bitter about what is being imposed on the country. Only 37% of the total population voted for brexit and look what the rest of us are having to tolerate? On top of the most right wing treacherous government we’ve ever had.

GillT57 Thu 23-Jul-20 20:16:40

Traitors all. But, but, but......the people got Brexit. I have said it before but I am more frightened of Brexit than of Covid19. I can shield from Covid19 but no amount of shielding will protect me from the stupidity of the British electorate who voted for this group of criminals and are prepared to overlook everything they do as long as they get their beloved Brexit. Well, I for one will take great pleasure in a resounding WE TOLD YOU SO, I am no longer prepared to be all nice and understanding about people's actions which will have a huge impact on my life.

varian Thu 23-Jul-20 20:10:36

These actions are traitorous.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Jul-20 20:09:05

This - just how much are the British people prepared to tolerate? There is no way that Johnson is going to investigate Russian interference.

Bill Esterson
· Jul 22
Cummings pulling the strings on #RussiaReport. Conservative Party taking Russian money. Number 10 suppressing the report. Johnson "forgetting" his first duty is security of the British people. Prime Minister must investigate Kremlin's role in undermining our democracy.

varian Thu 23-Jul-20 20:05:00

The so-called Conservative and Unionist Party are either knowingly nor unknowingly assisting Putin in his efforts to undermine Western Democracy.

Step one - brexit

Step two - the breakup of the UK

But it's all OK because the Russians have poured millions into the Conservative Party and quite a lot of Tories will get even richer.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Jul-20 19:59:03

More corruption

10 cabinet ministers have taken Russian money. The real reason Johnson stopped the report being published and tried to impose his own committee chair. Democracy undermined with willing compliance of Johnson because his government are on the Kremlin’s payroll. #RussianReport

GillT57 Thu 23-Jul-20 18:22:39

Nothing surprises me anymore Maizie this administration is rotten to the core. I don't even listen when the blonde liar is speaking on TV, I just don't believe anything he says. What a state to be in. Grant Shapps, P Patel, Johnson, that boy whose parents think he is at school but is actually pretending to be Education Secretary, Grayling.....so useless that even Tories mock him and then we have the backstabber Gove, full cast of Shakespearean villains.

MaizieD Thu 23-Jul-20 18:16:35

.and the Foreign Secretary who made such an absolutely lethal mess of the job that he was made PM.

And slipped his leash to go partying with the Russians when Foreign Secretary

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7292639/Boris-Johnson-seen-barely-able-walk-partying-Russian-billionaires-villa.html

GillT57 Thu 23-Jul-20 18:06:22

To me, Grant Shapps or whatever he is calling himself today is the best example of just what is wrong with this government, in real life, he would have been fired and prosecuted. Then of course we have the Home Secretary who was fired for what was legally treason.......and the Foreign Secretary who made such an absolutely lethal mess of the job that he was made PM.

varian Thu 23-Jul-20 16:40:12

For anyone asking "who is Michael Green?" -

Shapps's use of the names Michael Green, Corinne Stockheath and Sebastian Fox attracted controversy in 2012. He denied having used a pseudonym after entering parliament and, in 2014, threatened legal action against a constituent who had stated on Facebook that he had. In February 2015 he told LBC Radio presenter Shelagh Fogarty, "Let me get this absolutely clear ... I don't have a second job and have never had a second job while being an MP. End of story."

However, in March 2015, Shapps admitted to having had a second job whilst being an MP, and practising business under a pseudonym. In his admission, he stated that he had "over-firmly denied" having a second job. Under the name Michael Green, Shapps had offered customers a "get-rich-quick scheme" costing $497, and promised customers a "toolkit" that would earn them $20,000 in 20 days, provided they followed its instructions. In March 2015, Dean Archer, the constituent previously threatened with legal action by Shapps, threatened Shapps with legal action.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Shapps