Gransnet forums

News & politics

Summary of a week of Tory rule

(81 Posts)
Drum1234 Wed 22-Jul-20 19:59:50

This is actually only the last 5 days. Hard to find any way this corruption and lies could be justified.
mobile.twitter.com/RussInCheshire/status/1285550820214349826

MaizieD Thu 06-Aug-20 18:17:01

I'm glad you're telling us all this, Dorsetcupcake because when we've discussed this topic before we've had posters adamant that the fault lies with the Care Homes who hadn't provided sufficient PPE; that it wasn't up to the government t provide it etc. etc.

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 06-Aug-20 18:30:53

Maisie I think to be fair care homes should provide it. Unfortunately it simply wasnt there to be bought,some care home owners were paying hundreds of pounds for a box of gloves,which believe me dont go far! The larger groups of homes may have had a bit more power. Smaller ones didnt stand a chance. This also happened with food. Larger groups of care homes often order food in bulk from suppliers and continued to do so. Small independent homes who buy their groceries pretty much like anyone else at the supermarket were in the same position as everyone else with queues and limitations on quantities and shortages. They did sort it out eventually but it must have been awful. I think this is where I expected the government to step in,or put a structure in place si that people could get help. Maybe with the emphasis being placed on local authorities it will be more efficient, as long of course as its funded!

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 06-Aug-20 18:53:30

I must add that those that run/own care homes are certainly not saints. They do of course vary but the staff who work for them are often treated terribly. If you are lucky you have a contract and will get holiday pay. No sick pay. Training is variable but always on your day off! They are not above withholding a last months pay when someone leaves or refusing a reference. An experienced deputy I know advises staff unofficially how to avoid this as it's so common place. A weeks training,five days 7 hours a day is unpaid,however if you leave before 6 months the "cost " of training is deducted from your salary! How on earth they manage to retain any staff let alone the tremendously dedicated,and often very young,ones I've come across is a mystery!

Dorsetcupcake61 Fri 07-Aug-20 11:22:21

Interesting update on news last night regarding testing in care homes. Apparently when the government announced the plan to test ALL care home staff and residents weekly this hasn't happened to any great degree. A small percentage of care homes have. Most despite requests for tests had non forthcoming.
The programme wasnt put on hold until September it will start then as it hasn't really got off the ground. Mr Hancock said they had limited access to tests but any staff member or resident who was showing signs of coronavirus can access a test( Newsnight 6/8).
Well at least they are consistent.
Interestingly my daughter said her home is continuing to test weekly. I'm glad for her and the residents. If they do I wonder how they are accessing tests? Maybe they are paying privately? They have homes throughout England so might have resources to do this.

Dorsetcupcake61 Fri 07-Aug-20 11:34:33

Oh dear,sometimes ignorance is bliss. I know it's not unusual and I shouldnt be surprised but the company my daughter works for is owned by a pan European investment company worth billions,headquarters in UK. Own all sorts of things such chains of stores,restaurants. Bit dodgy re tax, some Tory associations about a decade ago That was just a very brief search. I think I will go and do some knitting.!