Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Conservative party has morphed into UKIP

(41 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-Aug-20 11:36:01

Brexit regardless of cost to the country

Admired by the white supreme, Steve Bannon. Bannon helped a Trump gain the presidency, and is now thoroughly approving Cummings, forecasting that the Tory party will lurch to the far right soon.

EllanVannin Sun 02-Aug-20 11:53:03

I don't know about UKIP or anything else but they ought to curb their sexual urges as another nameless person has been a pest among colleagues. What's the matter with these people ??

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-Aug-20 12:13:12

He hasn’t been named, why? The Tory party must be sitting on the police to,prevent his name being published.

Mogg sat on the information for at least a month.

Isn’t that called withholding evidence?

Dinahmo Sun 02-Aug-20 14:37:48

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/01/why-johnsons-tories-fell-for-a-tiny-sect-of-libertarian-provocateurs-rcp

Interesting article in (would you believe it) The Guardian about some of BJ's other closest advisers. Apparently they were members of the Revolutionary Communist Party who have morphed into extreme right wingers.

maddyone Sun 02-Aug-20 14:39:09

Sometimes I think there’s little difference between the very far right and the very far left.

Urmstongran Sun 02-Aug-20 14:41:12

I voted for Brexit. I want to see it ‘done’. The majority (who could be bothered to vote) decided that’s what they wanted too. Sorry it annoys all those of you who lost the vote but I say bring it on.

MaizieD Sun 02-Aug-20 14:44:53

Urmstongran

I voted for Brexit. I want to see it ‘done’. The majority (who could be bothered to vote) decided that’s what they wanted too. Sorry it annoys all those of you who lost the vote but I say bring it on.

What a wonderful and enlightening contribution to the discussion of whether or not the tory party has morphed into UKIP, Ug

Urmstongran Sun 02-Aug-20 14:55:57

Sorry. I must try harder later. I’m blaming my lack of engagement on the heat here.
?

MaizieD Sun 02-Aug-20 15:06:35

Of course, having b*ll*cked Ug, for her nonresponse, I have to add my own opinion to the discussion.

Which is that they certainly aren't the tory party they used to be and they are scaring the living daylights out of me.

It was always a fear that Brexit (since we're mentioning it) would destroy our democracy because of the way it would have to be imposed on a very large percentage of dissenters, and the only way in which it could be done would be to ruthlessly repress dissent. It is a fear which is being realised.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:19:51

I’ve just been reading the governments response to the QCs request (Jolson Maugham) to disclose the process over awarding a company a £840000 contract, by Gove’s department.
Maugham has taken advise and had been told that the price is “insane”

Gove‘s lawyers are refusing to engage under any circumstances and questioning anyone’s right to question the government over this decision.

In other words Gove is above the law.

Just as Cummings was over Barnard Castle.

A worrying pattern is emerging.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:27:14

Jolyon Maugham the upstanding citizen who clubbed a fox to death whilst wearing his wife’s silk kimono......and got away with it ??

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:28:36

GrannyGravy13

*Jolyon Maugham* the upstanding citizen who clubbed a fox to death whilst wearing his wife’s silk kimono......and got away with it ??

Your point?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:32:24

My point is that QC JM is a thoroughly nasty piece of work in my opinion

MaizieD Sun 02-Aug-20 15:32:36

GrannyGravy13

*Jolyon Maugham* the upstanding citizen who clubbed a fox to death whilst wearing his wife’s silk kimono......and got away with it ??

Sorry?

When was either of these things made illegal?

And if it's moral disapproval we're meant to feel than that is more than rich coming from a supporter of the most corrupt government since the 18th C.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:35:54

GrannyGravy13

My point is that QC JM is a thoroughly nasty piece of work in my opinion

And how does your opinion of Maugham’s behaviour have any bearing on the government’s behaviour?

JonesKpj000 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:37:32

Good question Whitewave2. I agree with you Maddy One that in some respects it's hard to differentiate between the Far Right and Far Left!
I will mention Brexit as Whitewave mentions it herself in her post. Whatever side of the argument you are on, it was a democratic vote and Leave won. Therefore it should be accepted and we should do our utmost to make it work. We are where we are.
Whether the date should be moved for the transition after the effects of Covid is another matter. As for whether the Tory party are turning into UKIP, I honestly don't know, but I don't think UKIP would of extended furlough like Rishi did. I do think furlough was the right thing to do and I wish all small business the best of luck. I don't think for one moment that our Chancellor will be lurching to the far right soon with or without Cummings influence.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:39:17

MaizieD just because I am a Conservative does not mean that I support all the Government does.

MaizieD Sun 02-Aug-20 15:43:29

GrannyGravy13

MaizieD just because I am a Conservative does not mean that I support all the Government does.

Perhaps, then, you'd like to comment on the handing of enormous amounts of money to Cumming's cronies for contracts for goods/services which they have never before provided and which haven't gone through the usual procurement procedures?

It would be quite reassuring to know that at least one or two tory voters had some sort of principles.

Because at the moment I feel nothing but contempt for most of them.

biba70 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:45:29

Urmstongran, the Brexit the tiny majority voted for, is not at all the Brexit proposed now- are you really denying this?

And the outside interference, the vast monies given, the lies- now all proven -at just a figment of the far left imagination- is it?

quizqueen Sun 02-Aug-20 15:46:48

I would be very happy if the Tories morphed into the UKIP Party, as I support all their policies, but I would prefer them to be the Brexit Party.

biba70 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:53:17

blimey

Urmstongran Sun 02-Aug-20 16:01:17

In the face of harsh criticism I have to admire you quizqueen.

lemongrove Sun 02-Aug-20 16:06:33

JonesKpj000

Good question Whitewave2. I agree with you Maddy One that in some respects it's hard to differentiate between the Far Right and Far Left!
I will mention Brexit as Whitewave mentions it herself in her post. Whatever side of the argument you are on, it was a democratic vote and Leave won. Therefore it should be accepted and we should do our utmost to make it work. We are where we are.
Whether the date should be moved for the transition after the effects of Covid is another matter. As for whether the Tory party are turning into UKIP, I honestly don't know, but I don't think UKIP would of extended furlough like Rishi did. I do think furlough was the right thing to do and I wish all small business the best of luck. I don't think for one moment that our Chancellor will be lurching to the far right soon with or without Cummings influence.

Exactly!??

JonesKpj000 Sun 02-Aug-20 16:18:26

Thank you Lemongrove.

Davidhs Sun 02-Aug-20 17:03:21

UKIP never were a party for government, the best they were ever going to do was steal a few marginal seats and hold the largest party to ransome for a few months

Hard right or left with a large majority are always going to invoke whatever policies take their fancy - because they can. With a majority of 80 the Tories will give us a hard Brexit no doubt, that’s what they promised their backers, however there will be deals in some areas. We will know how it’s going to be sometime on October, don’t bank on a last minute deal in December, the EU have not moved at all, I’m not expecting them to.