Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sturgis, South Dakota

(15 Posts)
Devorgilla Fri 07-Aug-20 21:31:44

Thanks for the clip. Amazing skills.

rosecarmel Thu 06-Aug-20 19:22:14

Devorgilla

Rosecarmel, I remember Sturgis very well. We were on our first visit to the USA from UK and landed in that area without any prior knowledge of Sturgis. I was doing the driving and we couldn't understand why hordes of motorcycles kept sweeping past us. My husband loves motorcycles and got talking to some of the riders. Then we found out about Sturgis and the impossibility of finding a motel in the vicinity. We ended up sleeping in a car park, or trying to. Upside was we got to drive out really early through a national park where we encountered a porcupine and a couple of elks and got to see the sun rise. Quite exciting actually. Wall to wall Harleys.

Yes! It's an enthusiasts dream come true and the area beautiful- I used to ride and always enjoyed the motorcycle events when I went- They do get repetitive but the ride there and back I never grew tired of-

The Daytona motorcycle police are so amazingly proficient-The short video below is just one officer- Now imagine a group of 12 doing that on a city street, weaving in between each other instead of cones-

m.youtube.com/watch?v=M9MVY8swO5M

The best bike I ever saw and fell in love with was a rat bike with a suicide shift and all these little odd artful pieces on it- Alfred E Neuman was painted on both sides of the gas tank-

Devorgilla Thu 06-Aug-20 17:11:19

Rosecarmel, I remember Sturgis very well. We were on our first visit to the USA from UK and landed in that area without any prior knowledge of Sturgis. I was doing the driving and we couldn't understand why hordes of motorcycles kept sweeping past us. My husband loves motorcycles and got talking to some of the riders. Then we found out about Sturgis and the impossibility of finding a motel in the vicinity. We ended up sleeping in a car park, or trying to. Upside was we got to drive out really early through a national park where we encountered a porcupine and a couple of elks and got to see the sun rise. Quite exciting actually. Wall to wall Harleys.

rosecarmel Thu 06-Aug-20 14:41:24

I was on the phone yesterday with a young mother from.Texas who said where she lives that they never got out of the "red" since March and yet are being strongly encouraged to send their children to school come September- She said that they can opt to continue online studies but are making the online learning requirements difficult to navigate in an effort to get parents to send their children back to school-

She believes that this tactic is a result of considering taxes, funding, job security and a to heck with everyone else mentality-

So it could be going for herd immunity and money all rolled up into one-

Jane43 Thu 06-Aug-20 14:25:18

DH said this morning that they seem to be going for herd immunity now, I think he may be right.

rosecarmel Wed 05-Aug-20 01:46:41

It's crazy- People can't have wedding receptions! And proper burials- And yet ..

Callistemon Tue 04-Aug-20 14:01:41

A quarter of a million people?
Presumably from many areas to which they will return
shock

It looks as if the official policy is Survival of the Fittest.

varian Tue 04-Aug-20 13:51:03

They've probably been listening to Trump, who lies and lies and lies.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ77YJpNf9M

MaizieD Tue 04-Aug-20 11:39:58

Apparently the rally has allowed to go ahead but been subject to 'major' modifications.

Do you think they'll be observed, rosecarmel?

www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-is-a-go-but-with-major-changes/ar-BB15xkLL

vampirequeen Tue 04-Aug-20 11:34:48

Love the ad.

Dinahmo Tue 04-Aug-20 09:11:46

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpIkl2QnJeI

An ad from the US govt to tell everyone how well they're doing. (swear words alert for the more delicate amongst us)

lemongrove Tue 04-Aug-20 08:23:31

Head for the Black Hills!
Seriously though, people do seem to think that their civil liberties will keep them safe from Covid.
Do you live near there?

Furret Tue 04-Aug-20 07:28:48

I’m horrified by everything coming out of the States rosecarmel. Hope you can keep yourself and your family safe then vote this idiot out.

Esspee Tue 04-Aug-20 07:12:50

I have been watching the progress of the virus in the USA with horror rosecarmel. If only Obama was still in charge.

rosecarmel Tue 04-Aug-20 02:47:30

It's on- They're expecting 250 thousand people, from all over the place, to attend the motorcycle rally in Sturgis, SD-

People are having large parties with 100's in attendance- These parties are occurring all over the US-

Election Day is 3 months away- There isn't a large margin:

projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/national/