Gransnet forums

News & politics

Harper Beckham, a chorus of disapproval.

(104 Posts)
Spangler Mon 10-Aug-20 15:40:58

There's a photo of nine year old Harper Beckham on Instagram: www.instagram.com/p/CDO-V07h5I4/?utm_source=ig_embed showing her out with her parents. According to Instagram users, she's growing up way too fast.

It seems perfectly acceptable to me, but then I see children at dance competitions dressed up like the adults, little girls wearing make-up, small boys in bow ties. Am I being to lenient?

My only concern would be that being on the internet, you don't know who is viewing your child, or what their agenda is.

MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-20 19:11:08

I was expecting far worse, because I've never seen her, but she really does look lovely.

PinkCakes Tue 11-Aug-20 19:09:09

My eldest GD is the same age, and she wears the tiniest bit of lipgloss (as does her 5yr old sister) when they go out. The 9 yr old wears small heels, earrings (pierced) and carries a handbag, but she's still a child, still plays with dolls, still has the innocence about things as you'd expect.

I think Harper Beckham is a very pretty girl

Chewbacca Tue 11-Aug-20 19:02:41

Tiny little pink enamel ear rings are "chavvy"? Give over! Whoever it was who said they are hasn't a clue what "chavvy" is. Leave the kid alone, there's nothing wrong with her.

MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-20 18:37:10

Nope.
Those earrings aren't chavvy. Uh uh.

Callistemon Tue 11-Aug-20 14:57:54

chavvy earrings

Oh, I rather like them.

Perhaps a little elaborate for a 9 year old, my DGD wear studs, but I bet the younger one is eyeing them up, they may be on her wish list!

#neverchavvy

Millie22 Tue 11-Aug-20 14:45:53

She looks lovely and happy.

Bridgeit Tue 11-Aug-20 14:31:37

In the photo, that the OP include, I think she looks just fine. Plus she looks happy.

MerylStreep Tue 11-Aug-20 14:20:20

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

merlotgran Tue 11-Aug-20 13:52:53

Nothing wrong with that?

I don't know. Is there?

MawB Tue 11-Aug-20 13:46:49

Noooooooooooo!
Not Harry and Meghan again !
Saint Kate seems to get away with controlled publicity pics of the three little Cambridges.
Nothing wrong with that?

merlotgran Tue 11-Aug-20 13:27:10

Harry's exposure was largely down to his parents' unhappy marriage and Diana's courting of the press. The Cambridge's have got it right and William was just as exposed.

I fear Archie will grow up a very lonely little boy. Royal children have never lacked friends and cousins seem to have a good relationship. Archie will have no family on either side.

If Harry and Meghan choose an OTT style of protection it will only encourage unscrupulous photographers to do whatever they can to get photos.

Iam64 Tue 11-Aug-20 13:12:16

TerriBull, I can't avoid feeling a bit of sympathy for Victoria Beckham. I know she lives a life of unimaginable affluence but without wanting to be unpleasant, she seems to have an unhealthy relationship with food and a husband who half the women (and lots of men) would do the deed with given the opportunity. I may be wrong but my impression is the Beckham parents love their children
That aside, I agree totally with your views on exposing children to the level of attention that the children of many celebrities get. Some desperate 'celebs' earn a living by posting endless pics of their own children. Children can't give informed consent. I share your views on 7Up and any similar programmes.
Harry and Meghan have been clear they don't want their child to grow up under the same constraints and exposure that Harry did.

TerriBull Tue 11-Aug-20 11:12:12

Harper is the complete antithesis of her mother in that she really know how to smile, I didn't think she had any make up on in that picture, if so it's very subtle, and she doesn't look precocious at all, she looks like a nice 9 year old.

I just question the wisdom of "the grimacing one" in allowing her children to be exposed to the media right from the day they were born, in that she's very like Katie Price who gets a lot more stick for doing more or less the same thing. Moments that are private, asleep, reading a a book, doing homework all posted on line. Along with ridiculously contrived situations such as Harper posing with an easel in a field of Sunflowers hmm

Children can't make an informed choice as to whether they want this level of attention, heavens even Harry and Meghan only allow very limited exposure as far as young Archie is concerned. It must be hard growing up under the constant glare of publicity, There is often an awkward transitioning period in young peoples' lives where they withdraw become embarrassed and mon syllabic. Particularly remember that in the "7 Up" series, around fourteen, the second filming, so many of the participants displayed those characteristics. Also like all young people they need to make their mistakes without the eyes of the world upon them. Sorry, but I'd say parents who expose their children in this way aren't doing them any favours and seem to be "brand/dynasty" building.

Calendargirl Tue 11-Aug-20 07:00:22

Esspee

Had never heard of the child but realise from the thread she is a child of the footballer.
To me, apart from the chavy earings, she looks like a normal pretty 12 year old with a lovely age appropriate glamorous hairstyle.

I didn’t think the earrings were chavy, and who said anything about 12, Harper is 9.

Obviously most posters don’t really read the thread.

Esspee Tue 11-Aug-20 06:45:33

Had never heard of the child but realise from the thread she is a child of the footballer.
To me, apart from the chavy earings, she looks like a normal pretty 12 year old with a lovely age appropriate glamorous hairstyle.

Riverwalk Tue 11-Aug-20 06:22:19

Seven? I thought for a minute you meant Sven. Wasn't he the football wotsit who had an affair with the Swedish Mattress?

I wonder what witty description you have for a Swedish man who had multiple sex partners.

Riverwalk Tue 11-Aug-20 06:18:47

I think she looks lovely - nice hairstyle and ready smile smile

MawB Mon 10-Aug-20 23:18:14

gringrin
Trust me to get it ar*e about tip!

JenniferEccles Mon 10-Aug-20 23:15:24

When Harper was a baby there was a wonderful cartoon about that in our paper MawB

It concerned Beckham having Half Past Seven tattooed on his back as the tattooist had mid-heard him!!

The assistant was at the door saying “pssst “ and holding up the correct Harper 7 form!!

MawB Mon 10-Aug-20 23:15:00

FlyingHandbag

*MawB*, it was a joke. X

Not really?

Callistemon Mon 10-Aug-20 23:14:07

It's the heat

Frazzling my brain anyway.

MaizieD Mon 10-Aug-20 23:10:07

MawB

Twasn’t me you quoted or who made any comment about how you look at threads^ MaisieD confused ?

Ignore me tonight! I think I'm having a brain storm. Don't know where I am or who I am talking to...

FlyingHandbag Mon 10-Aug-20 23:04:31

MawB, it was a joke. X

MawB Mon 10-Aug-20 22:54:02

I had heard that David Beckham misheard when he was being asked the baby’s name, thought they were asking the time and answered “half past seven”.

MawB Mon 10-Aug-20 22:45:38

Sexist Spangler !

???