Gransnet forums

News & politics

Storms and floods in Scotland

(18 Posts)
J52 Wed 12-Aug-20 19:39:44

Apparently the death toll is 3. How sad, on a day when most people are enjoying heat and sunshine.
Our thoughts must be with the families.

welbeck Wed 12-Aug-20 18:40:01

fatal railway incident near carmont, south of stonehaven.
the 6.38 from aberdeen, bound for glasgow.
driver and 2 others dead. further 6 injured in hosp.

SueDonim Wed 12-Aug-20 18:27:37

Grannylyn my friend’s grandchildren had to be rescued from the upstairs of their house in Perth by the fire brigade last night! The children were very excited. Mum, dad & GP’s, not so much. sad

Jabberwok Wed 12-Aug-20 15:38:31

OMGoodness! What an awful time parts of Scotland have been having. Floods and that terrible train crash! Extending every sympathy to the poor people involved.

MawB Wed 12-Aug-20 15:27:56

Apart from this? (6 hours ago)

grannylyn65 Wed 12-Aug-20 15:22:06

Nothing much in Perth

J52 Wed 12-Aug-20 15:21:58

Poor souls in the East.

Blazing hot here in Dumfries and Galloway! For a change!

Largolass Wed 12-Aug-20 15:14:54

We've been very lucky here on the east coast of Fife heard thunder rumbling in the distance last night and at breakfast time knew someone was getting it but we escaped any rain. Lots of roads flooded and two car parks at the hospital in Kirkcaldy were under water with dozens of cars submerged so sorry for the Staff coming of nightshift.

lemongrove Wed 12-Aug-20 15:00:55

MawB ?
I never like thinking of what ‘lies beneath’ after watching programmes on that kind of thing, landslides, sink holes etc.
Terrifying stuff.

Esspee Wed 12-Aug-20 14:58:10

I’m in Glasgow. Rain was forecast but we had none. Seems it was mainly the east coast which was affected.

FarNorth Wed 12-Aug-20 14:56:59

That's scary MawB.

silverlining48 Wed 12-Aug-20 14:52:55

I have just read of a train derailing think on the east coast. Seems serious. Keep safe.

MawB Wed 12-Aug-20 14:05:33

This was the A68 at Fala
At first I thought it was a huge puddle - then I looked again!

SueDonim Wed 12-Aug-20 14:00:30

Oh, and we had a power cut. I’ve learnt that my new TV turns itself on after a power cut so I walked into the kitchen to be confronted by Mr Tumble in full voice!

SueDonim Wed 12-Aug-20 13:58:53

I’m in Aberdeenshire and we had a bad storm until about 8am. Just as I tried to doze off the gardener started strimming the grass outside my bedroom window so I gave up thoughts of sleep after that.

We had minimal rain here but Aberdeen has extensive flooding and it’s looking likely that the rain caused a land slip onto a railway line, derailing a passing train. Local reports are saving it’s a pretty bad incident. ?

Jane10 Wed 12-Aug-20 13:14:00

It was a scary night. The lightning and thunder seemed to go on for a long time. Lots of pictures of flooded streets. The BT exchange for our area was flooded so no broadband or TV for me. Don't know what I'll do instead. Its clammy outside. Not nice for walking in. 21st century problems!

Parsley3 Wed 12-Aug-20 13:09:01

It was indeed a night to remember. My street was flowing like a river. However, today the sun is shining and the floods have gone. Other parts of the country have not been so lucky. In Fife, some schools have not been able to open after all. The poor pupils haven’t had a good night’s either for their first day back.

MawB Wed 12-Aug-20 12:46:25

Hoping that all our Scottish members are safe after last night’s apocalyptic storms and floods.
A friend in the Borders sent me pics of the landslide on Fala Hill on the A68 south of Edinburgh and also the flooding in Fife and in Perth.
Keep safe everyone!