Gransnet forums

News & politics

Where's the P.M.? Shouldn't he be in view, not hiding away ?

(512 Posts)
westendgirl Thu 20-Aug-20 12:13:28

Look at the disruptions of recent days;
Exam results and fudged response from Education secretary , passing the buck,stretching the truth about when he really knew about the algorithm,

increase in covid figures
;
Migrants in small boats and Patel's response,

News of contract to work on Ofqual awarded to long term associates of Gove and Cummings without tender.

Not removing whip from MP accused of rape.

So it goes on .Surely a P.M worth his salt should give the nation the impression he is in charge.As usual Johnson is nowhere to be seen.

growstuff Fri 28-Aug-20 13:08:49

More than ever, the country needs visible and coherent leadership. People need real hope, not the media spin and three word slogans they've been getting.

growstuff Fri 28-Aug-20 13:06:12

Whitewavemark2

I’m not convinced that the various mitigation that the Treasury has put in place can be classed as either right or left wing.

I think a form of Keynesian economics is being used to provide a platform from which the economy can be supported or grown.

This would be used by a politician of any colour.

It is what happens once this all calms down (if ever) that matters. That is whether austerity is reintroduced along with tax breaks etc. Then it becomes a political choice.

What Sunak is doing isn't really Keynesian economics. It's a kneejerk reaction to prevent the UK descending into chaos with millions of unemployed and homeless.

As an issuer of sovereign currency, the UK was lucky it could produce the money. It has shown up some of the fallacies of the "economy as a household budget" myth, although that still persists in some quarters and people are already going on about how we will pay the money back.

Keynesian economics is about a whole package of measures, including training and job creation, which are lacking from the government's planning. There was a coherent plan.

The next few weeks will be critical, as furlough schemes come to an end and evictions start. I fear that millions of people, who have never claimed any kind of state help before, are going to be affected.

growstuff Fri 28-Aug-20 12:33:50

Ellianne

I have no idea what has been going on on this thread, other than to say there are quite a few illegal raves going on this bank holiday weekend at which Boris could show up.

I haven't a clue either Ellianne. GN is increasingly becoming a place where serious discussion is not possible because threads are derailed by various means.

I remember the deleted post because I remember thinking it was odd and couldn't make much sense of it, but there wasn't anything in it which should have been deleted, as far as I could see.

Ellianne Fri 28-Aug-20 10:33:12

I have no idea what has been going on on this thread, other than to say there are quite a few illegal raves going on this bank holiday weekend at which Boris could show up.

Lucca Fri 28-Aug-20 10:12:21

Hilarious. Conspiracy theories now !

Callistemon Fri 28-Aug-20 09:34:59

This thread is way out of date anyway (at least a week!)

Where's the P.M.? Shouldn't he be in view, not hiding away?

Now everyone's grumbling because he's everywhere he shouldn't be eg schools, shipyards. At least he was wearing protective gear at the shipyard, which should make you happy Grandad! Although that didn't please at least one poster!

Can't do right for doing wrong.

Galaxy Fri 28-Aug-20 09:30:34

Aaargh there is a word for this and I cant think what it is, MN use it frequently.

Firecracker123 Fri 28-Aug-20 09:30:08

Perhaps it's a case of he who pays the piper calls the tune!!!

Who funds xx. com, who pays to advertise on xx. com and which political party they support.

Anyway enjoy your posts Grandad even if you are a man lol grin

MaizieD Fri 28-Aug-20 09:25:02

Goodness. This thread looks to be developing into an exercise of advanced paranoia!

Grandad1943 Fri 28-Aug-20 09:04:56

Firecracker123

As to who reported Grandad and Jabberwok you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out who did it. Eer could it have been an easily offended left leaning vocal Corbyn or Starmer human rights lover lol. Bet their finger is hovering on the report button now.

Don't think it was as straightforward as that Firecracker123. Has no one remembered that just prior to me another male was banned from the forum and then quickly allowed back?

I think a further man joined GN a few weeks back, clashed on a political thread with one or two and then it was reported he was banned.

I could be wrong in the above in regard to the latter's gender and I would emphasise that I feel it is not GN management policy to in any way discriminate against men being members of the forum.

However, as I stated in an earlier post in this thread GN moderators can be placed in difficult positions at times and that I realise.

Jabberwok Fri 28-Aug-20 09:00:17

Should have said 'jeers and sneers whoever the person is'

Jabberwok Fri 28-Aug-20 08:57:25

Thank you Grandad for your apology, but no you haven't been the cause of my? - bewilderment, which certainly wasn't caused in any way by you personally ! If what you suspect is the case then I must admit to being a little spooked by the thought that there is somewhere on this thread or forum making a concerted effort to undermine you!! Not pleasant! I for one will be keeping off this thread for a while, call me old fashioned but the personal insults, jeers and sneers are just not my thing and imo add very little if anything at all to serious conversation.
Thank you again for your concern.

Firecracker123 Fri 28-Aug-20 08:48:06

As to who reported Grandad and Jabberwok you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out who did it. Eer could it have been an easily offended left leaning vocal Corbyn or Starmer human rights lover lol. Bet their finger is hovering on the report button now.

Grandad1943 Fri 28-Aug-20 08:44:57

Firecracker123

You could always go to the papers Grandad lol imagine the headlines

GRANSNET BANS GRANDAD

The Daily Mail or The Sun could do a whole feature on it ?

Me give anything to the "The Sun or the Mail heaven forbid. I would swim through the sewers rather than get near them. ??

Firecracker123 Fri 28-Aug-20 08:40:25

You could always go to the papers Grandad lol imagine the headlines

GRANSNET BANS GRANDAD

The Daily Mail or The Sun could do a whole feature on it ?

Grandad1943 Fri 28-Aug-20 07:41:43

Callistemon

Apologies, that was terrible, not awful.

Callistemon, had you not changed that word from awful to terrible at that very minute I was just about to report you. ?

Do you not know it is awful to say awful on gransnet as it would make it an awful place with people getting awfully offended. ??

Callistemon Thu 27-Aug-20 22:57:46

Apologies, that was terrible, not awful.

Callistemon Thu 27-Aug-20 22:56:25

I didn't realise you'd been banned and reinstated Grandad.
Well, that's one up on all of us who've had posts deleted recently! We're too numerous to mention.

Is the word awful a no-no then?
Which reminds me, I meant to watch Muriel's Wedding the other night.

Grandad1943 Thu 27-Aug-20 21:44:03

Jabberwok, in regard to your post @21:20 today, I genuinely do not feel that the deletion of the post was anything to do with the words used in the post but more in regard that it was in support of me.

The complaint(s) may have stated that the word "awful" was unacceptable but that may have been a just cover to have the post removed because it expressed support for myself.

So, again apologies if that expression of support for me has caused you any distress jabberwok.

Jabberwok Thu 27-Aug-20 21:20:08

Yes Grandad, my post was in support of your comments but apart from using the word awful, I honestly can't recall saying anything offensive or using unacceptable language! It is strange though as I have never felt even remotely 'offended' by any of your posts so I cannot understand why you were banned even though reinstated! Slight over reaction to say the least and I can see that you must be slightly nervous about posting!!! F.O Lemon! I'd probably be arrested!! Oh well, better watch my step in future!!!

Grandad1943 Thu 27-Aug-20 20:41:11

Whitewavemark2, on a limited forum with an even smaller active membership small organised groups can have a large influence.

Someone mentioned a few days back a closed Gransnet group on a different social media site, just look that way and consider that.

Do not feel I can be any clearer than that without causing problems, so apologies Whitewavemark2

Whitewavemark2 Thu 27-Aug-20 20:28:56

Well what I do know is that the GN part of the business is run at a loss, and a few months ago they touted for money, I can’t remember exactly what for. It is obvious that the directors will not be willing to run it at a loss for ever, regardless of their stated philosophy.

However I simply can’t see the connection between that and the deleting of posts and your ban!!

Grandad1943 Thu 27-Aug-20 20:21:51

Whitewavemark2, in regard to your post @20:12 today I do not feel I can be more forthcoming than I have been in regard to what occurred with me without risking getting banned once again and for good this time. ?

In regard to the site, I feel that it has to diversify and in that grow if it is to have a stable long term future.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 27-Aug-20 20:12:47

Grandad1943

I have only just come in from working so apologies. However, I have been informed that jabberwoks post was in support of a post and comments I had made. So many thanks for that jabberwok if that indeed was the situation.

The above adds to a strange occurrence with myself on GN a few weeks back. I received an email stating I was banned from the site but did not give any clear reason as to why. I contacted GNHQ by email and within a very few hours was reinstated again.

I have my own views on what occurred but feel I had not better place that openly on the forum but only to say that it could well be that the GN management are at times being placed in some very difficult positions.

In that, they have my understanding and support, for it could well be that it is the very unique structure and membership of the site that is at the base of several growing problems.

Well that post was as clear as mud.

Can’t you be more specific?

Grandad1943 Thu 27-Aug-20 20:09:30

I have only just come in from working so apologies. However, I have been informed that jabberwoks post was in support of a post and comments I had made. So many thanks for that jabberwok if that indeed was the situation.

The above adds to a strange occurrence with myself on GN a few weeks back. I received an email stating I was banned from the site but did not give any clear reason as to why. I contacted GNHQ by email and within a very few hours was reinstated again.

I have my own views on what occurred but feel I had not better place that openly on the forum but only to say that it could well be that the GN management are at times being placed in some very difficult positions.

In that, they have my understanding and support, for it could well be that it is the very unique structure and membership of the site that is at the base of several growing problems.