Gransnet forums

News & politics

I was surprised & still am, that this did not make headline news

(27 Posts)
Lollin Mon 24-Aug-20 08:33:57

Especially because of some of the drivel that constitutes news ('celebrities' hmm )

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53885695

Esspee Tue 25-Aug-20 07:36:24

The destruction was featured in the news here in the U.K.
I suppose it depends what newspapers-media you read.

My thoughts, apart from outrage, were that I am pretty sure the people who have had a financial wrist slap from the company were, in fact, doing just what the company required of them and are simply the fall guys.

Spangler Tue 25-Aug-20 07:27:43

This is not about racism towards the Australian ethnic community, but racism in general. You might like to know of the uplifting story of Lawrence Brooks:

For the past five years, WWII Army veteran Lawrence Brooks has celebrated his birthday with pomp and ceremony — and lots of cake — at The National WWII Museum. It's a tradition he and the museum have grown to cherish.

This year, Brooks turns 111 years old, making him the oldest living World War II veteran. But, due to the pandemic, the traditional gathering can't take place this year. Instead, museum officials are hoping that the good folk of New Orleans will send Brooks a birthday card to commemorate his special day.

Brooks was born on Sept. 12, 1909, and was raised in Norwood, Louisiana. During World War II, he served in the predominantly African American 91st Engineer Battalion, which was stationed in New Guinea and then The Philippines. Private First Class Brooks was one of more than 1.2 million African Americans who served in the segregated U.S. Armed Forces in World War II, striving for a "double victory" over tyranny abroad and racism and discrimination at home. The museum is asking for birthday cards from throughout the community to help Brooks celebrate his special day. Cards can be mailed to the museum and will be delivered to Brooks for his birthday on Sept. 12. Well-wishers should send their cards to:
The National WWII Museum
c/o Happy 111th Mr. Brooks!
945 Magazine St.
New Orleans, LA 70130
USA.

Spice101 Tue 25-Aug-20 00:06:36

It did make headlines here. Should never have happened but sadly directors of large companies seem to be immune from any real repercussions. Run a corporation into the ground and they still walk away with a golden handshake while the workers get nothing.

EllanVannin Many of the indigenous people choose to live in the conditions they do for many different reasons. There are always two sides to a story.

Callistemon Mon 24-Aug-20 23:54:15

I'm not sure why living in the outback is considered a bad thing.

Callistemon Mon 24-Aug-20 23:52:40

See how these poor souls live in the outback or on the edges of towns.

Perhaps things have improved since you've been over, EllanVannin.
There is a way to go, but good homes are built by the Government on their own land, many other Aboriginal people live in the same houses I town as anyone else, do the same jobs, the kids all go to the same schools.

EllanVannin Mon 24-Aug-20 22:15:55

I feel very strongly about the way the Aborigines are treated in Australia. See how these poor souls live in the outback or on the edges of towns. Corrugated homes thrown together. They are some of the poorest people on the planet. Heartbreaking.

I used to regularly visit a street musician in Sydney, he played the didgeridoo, marvellously, and I'd throw a few dollars in his tin. He was a lovely man but invariably got moved on by the police, who I told wasn't doing any harm.

EllanVannin Mon 24-Aug-20 22:00:57

The Aborigines ( Koori ) are spiritual people, mostly good spirits are wished but I hope in this case that the Bunyip ( bad spirit ) haunts those who destroyed their sacred site.

growstuff Mon 24-Aug-20 21:49:04

I remember reading about it a few weeks ago, although I can't remember where. I agree it didn't make the headlines, didn't cause outrage and disappeared as news very quickly.

EllanVannin Mon 24-Aug-20 21:34:23

Greed is the pandemic of this world and it's proved highly infectious.
The land belongs to the Aborigines, they were there first. This race has been treated really badly.

Pete Garrett the musician sang " It belongs to them, let's give it back "-----Midnight Oil--Beds are Burning.

Callistemon Mon 24-Aug-20 21:10:22

I’m guessing it possibly did in Australia. Dreadful

I don't know that it did.
I've not heard of it from anyone, until I saw it in here,

Dinahmo Mon 24-Aug-20 20:57:28

Losing their dividneds? They should be sacked, without large severance package.

Lollin Mon 24-Aug-20 12:51:06

Totally agree Alexa

Lollin Mon 24-Aug-20 12:50:08

So did I ExD but then I saw this latest piece about the "punishment" and again felt shocked and saddened, also because of the lack of big headline about it so I had to try posting again.

I know very little about such areas but this is definitely disgraceful, heartbreaking and all that has been posted above already.

Alexa Mon 24-Aug-20 12:36:06

It is absolutely terrible and another example of how the weak are trampled on by the powerful. Rio Tinto should make some reparation by giving valuable land to Puuntu Kunti Kurrama people in perpetuity.

A verbal apology is an insult.

Starblaze Mon 24-Aug-20 11:28:03

I hate racism and I hate profit over people.

I truly believe people shouldn't be allowed to be billionaires. They should just get to 999million and then get a plaque saying "I win at capitalism" and anything they earn over that forcefully invested in renewable energy, free health care and stray cats or something.

There's only actually a couple of thousand billionaires in the world but you'd be surprised the good that could come of it.

Oopsadaisy4 Mon 24-Aug-20 11:12:43

The level of racism, certainly in the area of Australia where my relatives are, is unbelievable.
We witnessed it first hand on a couple of visits.

FarNorth Mon 24-Aug-20 10:31:09

They knew they'd get away with it.
Losing bonuses - means nothing to them.

It's disgusting.

Sparklefizz Mon 24-Aug-20 10:21:16

Disgraceful! Thank you Lollin for bringing this to our attention. I knew nothing about it.

BlueBelle Mon 24-Aug-20 09:21:12

Australia has acted hideously towards the indigenous people always
Horrible horrible piece of news

Starblaze Mon 24-Aug-20 09:01:09

Heart breaking.

Lost their bonuses, boo hoo, guess they can't get that solid gold toilet seat for ensuite number 7 now.

silverlining48 Mon 24-Aug-20 08:55:23

It was reported on R4 Today Programme and I was shocked.

ExD Mon 24-Aug-20 08:52:25

I wrote a whole screed, then cancelled it - it was so devastating there are no words to express how I feel - how we all must feel. They surely must have needed permission to go ahead in the first place.
Criminal!

MaizieD Mon 24-Aug-20 08:50:22

Probably because most Brits wouldn't find it interesting.

I'm intrigued as to what motivated the company to take this action. They weren't concerned enough to not destroy the sites in the first place. Is this true remorse or just PR?

tanith Mon 24-Aug-20 08:50:19

I read about this the other day how these companies get away with doing this type of thing is beyond me they apparently had permission ???

Lucca Mon 24-Aug-20 08:40:12

I’m guessing it possibly did in Australia. Dreadful