Gransnet forums

News & politics

Get back to the office! But why?

(737 Posts)
Furret Fri 28-Aug-20 14:20:30

I see ‘the government’ is now saying that even people who have been successfully working from home, should go back to the office.

I don’t see the logic in this as a blanket statement. So many advantages both for employer and worker, not to mention the environmental with reduced pollution from cars in busy city centres.

Yes, I know that companies like Pret A Manger are feeling the pinch but as one commuter tweeted ‘horrifying to learn that if I don’t expose myself and everyone I care about to this virus then one of the five Pret A Mangers between the tube station and my office might become unprofitable’.

AGAA4 Mon 07-Sep-20 15:38:29

To those who have mentioned councils not answering phones. This is nothing new and well before Covid it wasn't easy to get through. Council staff have been cut to the bone over the last few years with one person trying to do the job of at least three.
The management is poor and if they were a business they would have gone under years ago.
The problems are lack of staff not working from home.

MaizieD Mon 07-Sep-20 16:08:29

Council staff have been cut to the bone over the last few years with one person trying to do the job of at least three.

The management is poor and if they were a business they would have gone under years ago.

Conflicting ideas there, surely, AGGA4?

Staff have been cut to the bone because councils have been kept short of money by tory governments. A decent business wouldn't have starved itself of cash...

hallgreenmiss Mon 07-Sep-20 16:30:52

The CEO of Pret has said, (i newspaper today), that no one has a duty to return to offices to save the sandwich chain. He says, and I agree, businesses have to adapt to new habits.

AGAA4 Mon 07-Sep-20 16:43:00

Maizie the council has been badly affected by government cuts but they do waste a lot of the money they are given. To give an example - each department is given an amount of money at the beginning of the year. Some don't spend it all but instead of that money being redirected to another dept. it is spent indiscriminately on items that aren't needed. This is done so they are given the same amount next year. This is wasteful.

MaizieD Mon 07-Sep-20 19:55:38

Some don't spend it all but instead of that money being redirected to another dept. it is spent indiscriminately on items that aren't needed. This is done so they are given the same amount next year.

I'm familiar with that system from when I worked in the NHS 40+ years ago. It is deeply stupid. We had a little spending bonanza at the end of the financial year because it couldn't be carried over to finance a long term capital project and, as you say, if it wasn't spent it was lost. But it wasn't necessarily wasted...

I'm not familiar with local council budget management but I would suspect that in this day and age it would be very rare for a department to have anything left at the year end. However, perhaps you worked in an LA and know more about it than I do.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Sep-20 08:17:09

Remember this!!

Less than a month ago.

We knew then it was the wrong policy.

Today’s message?

Work from home.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Sep-20 08:25:50

Did I just hear Gove say on Today that we must listen to the experts.

Irony!!

Riverwalk Tue 22-Sep-20 08:43:44

Whitewavemark2

Remember this!!

Less than a month ago.

We knew then it was the wrong policy.

Today’s message?

Work from home.

And the veiled threats of

'if your job can be done from home, it can be done from India'

MagicWand Tue 22-Sep-20 10:51:02

Yes, I'm revisiting this brilliant thread today too.

Like Whitewave, it's wonderful to hear Michael ("I think the people in this country have had enough of experts") Gove telling us to listen to the experts and that this isn't another u-turn by the Government when it clearly is.

I wonder if Bojo may send him out to deliver these pieces of news knowing the potential embarrassment they could cause him - after all they say revenge is a dish best served cold. But then, that's supposing that Mr G actually feels embarrassment at the irony in the first place!

AmeliaFg Wed 10-Mar-21 14:47:21

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MaizieD Wed 10-Mar-21 15:50:57

Reported as spam