Gransnet forums

News & politics

Migrant African workers left to die in Saudi prisons.

(4 Posts)
MayBee70 Mon 31-Aug-20 14:26:56

Can anyone do a link to this. It’s only, as far as I know, in The Telegraph. They’re throwing them in prisons because they fear they will spread the virus but the conditions are terrible.

geekesse Mon 31-Aug-20 15:17:06

This is nothing new. The Saudi regime is a complete stranger to human rights, despite their best efforts at international PR. Women who are raped are flogged for adultery. Foreigners are held responsible for most crimes, and there’s no hope of a fair trial. Children have been executed for being implicated in so-called terrorism, when in fact all they did was support an organisation calling for social reform.

Here’s the thing - people claim that Saudi operates Islamic law. That’s not exactly true. They operate a very narrow, biased and nationalistic version of Islamic law - rather in the same way that Nazi Germany was a democracy.

MayBee70 Mon 31-Aug-20 16:48:44

I agree that it’s a continuation of the way the Saudis behave in general but with the black lives matter protests happening all over the world why isn’t this getting more publicity?

suziewoozie Mon 31-Aug-20 16:55:36

I think the words you are looking for to answer your question is oil and money. We love the Saudis in the UK for example - they buy so much from our arms manufacturers and give priceless jewellery to our royal women ( yes Camilla I’m looking at you)