Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris’ meltdown at PMQs

(172 Posts)
Furret Thu 03-Sep-20 07:28:36

Well that was a disgraceful exhibition. Sir Lindsay Hoyle even had to intervene.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Sep-20 09:08:08

Sarnia

He is out of his depth as PM. His Government has overseen a pantomime of inept MPs and advisors unable to do their job and passing the buck. I am hoping if he continues with his almost daily U-turns he might finally disappear up his own arse.

????

suziewoozie Thu 03-Sep-20 09:10:21

Urm??????Full Marks for ploughing on regardless - it’s sort of a sweet in a way to see such uncritical adoration.

Iam64 Thu 03-Sep-20 09:16:33

Even today's DM is critical of Johnson's poor performance (their words) at yesterday's PMQ's.
I wonder how long the tories will put up with him? That party has a track record of getting rid of leaders they lose faith in, even Mrs Thatcher. Can you imagine how they'd be responding to Theresa May if she was presiding over this shambles?
Gove is a thoroughly unpleasant, back stabbing individual with a sense of entitlement way beyond his capabilities. No doubt he is doing all he can to undermine Johnson. In fairness, Johnson needs no help in making himself look incompetent, ill prepared, lazy and a man who can be relied on never to apologise and always to big himself up.

biba70 Thu 03-Sep-20 09:17:26

I was glad to see the Speaker intervene firmly, twice- and ask Johnson to answer the question. However, why did he give up then, and let him continue to rant on a preprepared attack. Why did he not stop him a third time, and ask him to answer question, or else leave the House? And why did he not insist that he withdrew the remark on the IRA, and apologise.

The Speaker needs to be in charge and not allow such appallling behaviour, PM or no PM.

Galaxy Thu 03-Sep-20 09:20:41

Yes the tories dont mess around when it comes to getting rid of leaders they see as a liability, it's one of the reasons they have been in power for so many years.

Jaberwok Thu 03-Sep-20 09:21:37

Sweet?!!! What a patronising comment. Unbelievably pathetic along with all the faux indignation!! So long as Boris stays firm over fishing and the ECJ, I shall be well pleased. The sooner those factory trawlers are sent on their way the better. The fact that they are now wrecking conservation areas is nothing short of shocking. Green Peace agrees!

suziewoozie Thu 03-Sep-20 09:27:14

Oh Jabber do you not recognise irony when you read it?I find the fact that grown women adore Johnson so uncritically is actually quite chilling. And Brexit the game changer, the salvation of our civilisation boils down to a few fish and the ECJ? ????

Alegrias Thu 03-Sep-20 09:27:45

Dorsetcupcake61

I agree. To add to our woes the appointment of Tony Abbot as Trade Envoy. When will this all end?

I lived in Australia when Abbot was PM there. On one TV interview he was asked repeatedly about visiting an archbishop for political advice. Big deal, inappropriate etc. He consistently denied it. Then the interviewer produced a copy of Abbot's diary which showed he had visited the Archbishop on the day in question.
"Oh, THAT Archbishop" says Abbot, "Oh yes, I visited HIM"

Boris will be able to take some lessons from Abbot in lying.

Blinko Thu 03-Sep-20 09:37:19

To think we must endure another four years of these incompetents in power. What sort of a mess will the country be in by then? Heaven help us all.

lemongrove Thu 03-Sep-20 09:38:23

I haven’t seen any evidence on GN that women ‘adore Johnson uncritically’ ....just that they want him to complete Brexit whilst not allowing the UK to roll over to EU unreasonable demands, and then don’t care if he stays as PM any longer than next year ( if the Conservative party want Hunt or Gove it’s up to them.)My choice is Hunt.

Alegrias Thu 03-Sep-20 09:44:41

Johnson isn't doing anything to "get Brexit done". He's doing nothing and letting the clock run down. The men in grey suits wanted him as PM because he can fool people into voting Tory because he's such a good fellow, isn't he? And those who fell for this have landed us with the most incompetent PM in living memory, during the worst crisis of our lives.
The EU are not making unreasonable demands, the UK are. However much people think otherwise, we need them more than they need us.
Yes, I'm pretty angry about the whole thing.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Sep-20 09:45:33

lemongrove

I haven’t seen any evidence on GN that women ‘adore Johnson uncritically’ ....just that they want him to complete Brexit whilst not allowing the UK to roll over to EU unreasonable demands, and then don’t care if he stays as PM any longer than next year ( if the Conservative party want Hunt or Gove it’s up to them.)My choice is Hunt.

They may want to complete Brexit, but how many of them want a no deal? Very, very few I would imagine.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Sep-20 09:49:02

Prior to the leadership election, the majority of MPs had severe reservations over Johnson as leader, as well as stab in the back Gove.

They should have followed what they knew to be true.

Johnson would make a disastrous leader, and Gove simply does not resonate with the voter.

lemongrove Thu 03-Sep-20 09:55:00

Hunt and Gove would both have been better choices, but then they wouldn't have done as well at the GE, neither were popular with the public whereas Johnson was.In order to make sure Corbyn was roundly defeated it needed a popular choice.

biba70 Thu 03-Sep-20 09:56:13

Oh my - no words.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Sep-20 09:59:56

I wonder how soon sealed letters will be appearing on the 1922 committees desk.

First one from Gove the weasel.

Jaberwok Thu 03-Sep-20 10:00:52

A few fish?! What an attitude to a decimated industry which given the chance could flourish as it once did before Ted Heath bargained it away in his desperation to join the Common Market. So Geenpeace are wrong to be concerned about the ecological damage being done by over fishing?! I know let's get a conservation deal with the EU which no one will police and every country flagrantly disregard! Bit like Tony Blairs deal over the CAP! Now wasn't that was a sucess? Ummm! Don't think we'll be falling into that trap again! There are other important things in life apart from money and big business !

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Sep-20 10:03:05

Graham Brady - chair if the 1922- is not someone you would find criticising the Tory government, but on Today he did just that, warning Johnson over a number of issues.

greengreengrass Thu 03-Sep-20 10:05:40

No thanks to Gove, as I recall he was 'education minister' and got us into this mess with schools in the first place. And more importantly neither of these silly and dangerous boys have earned any respect with younger generations.

Furtherst thing from role models you could possibly get.

Alegrias Thu 03-Sep-20 10:08:24

Interesting lemongrove, that you see it as the right way to do things and I see it as manipulation.
We don't need popularity, we need leadership. Corbyn may not have been very good but we know for sure that Johnson is terrible.

Alegrias Thu 03-Sep-20 10:11:01

greengreengrass

"silly and dangerous boys"

sums them up completely angry

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Sep-20 10:12:49

Alegrias

Johnson isn't doing anything to "get Brexit done". He's doing nothing and letting the clock run down. The men in grey suits wanted him as PM because he can fool people into voting Tory because he's such a good fellow, isn't he? And those who fell for this have landed us with the most incompetent PM in living memory, during the worst crisis of our lives.
The EU are not making unreasonable demands, the UK are. However much people think otherwise, we need them more than they need us.
Yes, I'm pretty angry about the whole thing.

Agree entirely.

growstuff Thu 03-Sep-20 10:14:15

Even Cameron sacked Gove because he was so toxic.

Fishing makes up 0.4% of the UK's GDP. It's amazing that some people would be prepared to jeopardise the UK's whole economy for a product which isn't even profitable.

It just goes to show how bonkers Brexit at any cost is.

Urmstongran Thu 03-Sep-20 10:16:49

Furret

The subject is Boris and his outburst. The man is clearly out of his depth - not what you need in the middle of a global pandemic.

Apologies Furret.
I think I was just trying to illustrate that as long as Brexiteers done, I don’t care either way afterwards whether Boris (with his perceived laziness/rumpled hair/badly prepared PMQ’s) stays or goes.

Urmstongran Thu 03-Sep-20 10:17:19

* Brexit gets