Gransnet forums

News & politics

Meghan and Harry pay off Frogmore

(276 Posts)
trisher Tue 08-Sep-20 10:01:59

So all those who have complained about this the debt is paid off in full. Do you feel better?
www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a33942968/prince-harry-repays-frogmore-cottage-renovations/
Can you at least acknowledge they are doing their best?

EllanVannin Tue 08-Sep-20 12:14:04

A drop in the ocean isn't it ?

trisher Tue 08-Sep-20 12:21:26

Perhaps they would have paid for their wedding if they had been permitted to have exclusive rights to all the filming and souvenirs associated with it. They would have made a fortune because at the time all those now roundly condemning them would have bought into it. Personally I thought the whole thing a waste of time and money, like most of the rest of the Royal Weddings.

GagaJo Tue 08-Sep-20 12:27:09

I knew most still wouldn’t be happy. I’m no royalist, but I feel sorry for them. The viciousness and bile they get thrown at them is horrible.

sodapop Tue 08-Sep-20 12:45:51

Maybe it's because they are a couple of workshy free loaders who think the world owes them a living GagaJo I f they stopped pushing themselves into the limelight at every opportunity I could have more sympathy.

GagaJo Tue 08-Sep-20 12:49:55

Maybe if 1) You stopped reading the gutter press and 2) Stopped obsessing about them, they’d be cut off from the attention you think they crave. Currently those that hate them are scoring an own goal.

Jaberwok Tue 08-Sep-20 12:51:21

Could be that the British public just slightly resent being labelled racist, uncaring, intrusive in a negative way, and the Press hell bent on making life so intolerable for both these people that they simply had to flee!!! The truth of course, is the exact opposite, they were both welcomed with open arms both by the public and the RF, including this woman's mother. The press did not make their lives intolerable and the public loved them. Neither of them had any intentions of staying from day one, it's just a pity they couldn't be more honest about their reasons for going! I guess they will now join Uncle David and other exiled European royalty! A nothing and a nobody!

Anniebach Tue 08-Sep-20 12:53:58

I can’t feel sympathy for greedy, self centred people.

GagaJo Tue 08-Sep-20 12:56:16

‘The truth of course’

Amazing how Murdoch’s readers know best.

merlotgran Tue 08-Sep-20 13:09:09

I groan whenever footage of the wedding crops up on the TV. Not because of the cost - they are still married after all but the waste of sentiment, celebration and pride.

I can't forget the image of one of the Mulroney twins, who held Meghan's train, gasping in awe when the fanfare sounded. They've now been cut out of her life.

In the short time that H&M have been together they have had a lavish wedding, the offer of a lavish apartment which they turned down, the gift of another lavish home which we are now led to believe they already knew would never be their permanent residence and loans of two other lavish homes while they flitted from one country to another.

In their short marriage they are now on their fifth home. Even military wives would struggle to keep up with that.

Paying back the money spent on Frogmore Cottage had to be done. They have severed their ties with the RF so I hope they will now put up and shut up, give up their titles (fat chance) and get on with whatever they hope to achieve.

They will do well to remember, 'He who pays the piper calls the tune' They are splashing the cash. Soon they will be expected to earn it.

Anniebach Tue 08-Sep-20 13:20:13

I didn’t like their wedding, said so that day.

Jaberwok Tue 08-Sep-20 13:43:36

Murdoch readers GagaJo?!! Actually the Murdoch press was extremely kind and enthusiastic about these two until they made it perfectly clear in interviews and actions exactly what they thought of the rest of us, and Harry,'s relations! No one needed any press, even the sainted Guardian, to make it any more obvious the contempt and dislike these two felt for this country and its inhabitants! Now they've gone let's hope they stay gone, and we can see and hear nothing more of either them!

Jaberwok Tue 08-Sep-20 13:46:24

That's true merlotgran, if they don't come up with the goodies they won't get the all important millions! Let's hope they do as we don't want them back here!

trisher Tue 08-Sep-20 13:47:23

Well of course if we look at Royal Weddings generally they haven't had good outcomes. Margaret and Tony, Anne and Peter, Andrew and Fergie, Charles and Diana and still the public lap them up.
Jaberwok Could be that the British public just slightly resent being labelled racist, uncaring, intrusive in a negative way, and the Press hell bent on making life so intolerable for both these people that they simply had to flee!!! The truth of course, is the exact opposite, they were both welcomed with open arms both by the public and the RF, including this woman's mother
Really?? Do you know how Meghan or her mother were treated in private. The RF have always been very good at putting on a public face whilst awful things are said and done in private. Ever heard of someone called Diana? She knew what went on. As for the press-"Straight out of Compton", "Always touching her bump". Some people have short memories. www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3896180/Prince-Harry-s-girlfriend-actress-Meghan-Markles.html

eazybee Tue 08-Sep-20 13:52:28

Maybe if 1) You stopped reading the gutter press and 2) Stopped obsessing about them, they’d be cut off from the attention you think they crave
No, not the gutter press. Every day for the past week or so the Daily Telegraph has published extremely respectful columns containing information and photographs about H&M's doings, from delivering food for a charity day, talking to Gloria somebody, planting forget-me-nots for his mother, buying their house, joining the Netflix circus, and today, graciously paying off the loan on Frogmore. All are clearly press releases issued by a couple who claim to crave privacy.

They know very well that should they become private individuals nobody is going to be remotely interested in employing them, let alone paying them a fat salary. As it is, they have very little to offer other than notoriety.

Anniebach Tue 08-Sep-20 15:22:38

Diana knew what was going on ? ?

Lucca Tue 08-Sep-20 15:26:57

Anniebach

Why?

Lucca Tue 08-Sep-20 15:28:42

Jabberwok “ Neither of them had any intentions of staying from day one”
And you know this for definite do you ?

Lucca Tue 08-Sep-20 15:30:22

Lucca

Anniebach

Why?

On second thoughts no need to answer I remember from previous threads sorry.

GagaJo Tue 08-Sep-20 15:31:53

Lucca

Jabberwok “ Neither of them had any intentions of staying from day one”
And you know this for definite do you ?

Exactly. Unless some GN members have personal friends among the royalty.

Jaberwok Tue 08-Sep-20 17:57:18

I think probably PH did originally think that his wife would be a supportive and loyal partner like the other royal ladies, as he was keen to spend a lot of time in Africa promoting and supporting the Commonwealth and even talked about re locating to the country where he was so successful with
the orphans. Can't remember which country!! This should have been the perfect solution to escaping some of the rigours of court life which they both found arduous, while still fulfilling royal duties which he had been so successful in doing. What could possibly go wrong?!!!
Paddyann, what duties do you think the Queen should still be performing at 94 years old?

sparklingsilver28 Tue 08-Sep-20 20:25:32

I never thought it a match made in heaven. A young American woman use to saying what she thinks and living life according to standards outside that of the Crown. The Royal Household is run by establishment figures according to long tradition and history, and over which the incumbent, presently the Queen, has little or no control.

It never ceases to amaze me how little understood the public purse. Just as State pension, maternity benefit, and the like, including the Sovereign Grant paid to the Royal Family, comes from taxation. The government has no money, it borrows money which it repays from taxation, it borrows money to invest which is repaid in investment and or taxation. In other words, any money spent by the government is raised/repaid by taxation of one sought or another and to which all those eligible to pay tax contribute. In simple terms the public purse is money paid to the government by taxpayers!

grannyrebel7 Tue 08-Sep-20 20:36:06

I think their recent Netflix deal meant they could afford to pay it.

sparklingsilver28 Tue 08-Sep-20 20:42:08

I must admit, I did think the clothes she wore when pregnant and the constant stroking of her bump in public somewhat undignified.

GagaJo Tue 08-Sep-20 20:46:00

sparklingsilver28

I must admit, I did think the clothes she wore when pregnant and the constant stroking of her bump in public somewhat undignified.

Seriously?

Anniebach Tue 08-Sep-20 21:20:23

I don’t like clothes clinging over the bump, and no, I do not
mean a pregnancy bump should be shrouded